• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is a bobbed deuce a practical daily driver?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has a muffler, Humvee seats, front lockouts and is singled on 11.00-20 Goodyears - and I still would not want to use it as a daily driver. Part of why I love driving my truck is that I hardly ever HAVE to get anywhere with the clock ticking. If I want to, spur of the moment, turn into that side gravel road, I can. If I decide to go for a fun drive and decide to add another hour because I'm having fun - I can!
As a daily driver, that magic would be totally lost.

Also, I do not mind working on my truck or my car, but I detest HAVING to work on it, because I'd be stuck, otherwise. Subtile difference, but important to me. If a repair job does not unfold well and I start becoming angry and impatient, I can just walk away and pick it up tomorrow. Much more fun and I am less likely to take short cuts just to get it done.

oddshot

Mines a 1968 M35A2.

I got over 15,000 miles on mine, most of that on WMO. It got me back and forth to school nearly every day for two years. 80 to 90 mile round trip depending on which campus I was going to. I parked it in the student's parking lot every day.

I took it up to Rockingham for a couple bike runs AND did a couple parades here in town.

The only fuel I bought was reg gas for thinning.

What's "practical"? A/C? Radio? P/S?

My bobber started every day ... winter and summer. And got me there and back. Every day.

Practical enough for me.

I wouldn't have gotten my degree without Henry.

All I got for a seat is the one they installed when they built it.

Could the truck do it again? Yes.

Would I do it again? Hxll yes!

As for "diminished utility" ... I attached a picture of Henry just after we brought a Jeep home. Seems pretty useful to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dipstick

Supe,

A bobber is the same length more or less as a full sized American pickup truck. It fits in one space. I drive mine almost anywhere I'd drive my car. Haven't tried a drive up Mac machine yet though.rear tires small.jpg20131106_143145.jpgDSCF0866.jpg

supeman100

well I currently have a decked out Fj cruiser and am selling it to have a deuce built for me to be my new daily driver,
looks like a fun challenge! lol

oddshot

Supe,

A bobber is the same length more or less as a full sized American pickup truck. It fits in one space. I drive mine almost anywhere I'd drive my car. Haven't tried a drive up Mac machine yet though.
Nice looking truck.

Anywhere?

Will he go through a toll booth on the GSP?

Legally?

I lived in Jersey for 54 years ... I can see that truck making the NJ Troopers nervous.

well I currently have a decked out Fj cruiser and am selling it to have a deuce built for me to be my new daily driver,
looks like a fun challenge! lol
Would a Deuce be your ONLY vehicle? How many miles are you driving weekly?
I think the question of POSSIBLE daily driver has been answered before, but the title of the thread is PRACTICAL. Any vehicle can be a possible daily driver if you have the means to fuel it, maintain it, register/inspect it and store it. It's nobody's business if I decide to start spending my entire paycheck on fuel, that's my decision and my right. I can promise you that my marriage would not last much longer if I did.

In other words, you need to take a long look at your priorities before buying this truck as your primary vehicle. (Is it practical for YOU) What is practical for someone else is not always universal.

1. Can I afford to buy it?
2. Can I afford to register, inspect, maintain and fuel it?
3. Can I accept the fact that a Deuce is not the most comfortable road vehicle?
4. Do I really need to drive it everyday? (will I frequently be loading it with more than just myself?)
5. Are there other more affordable (practical) vehicles that I could see myself driving for the same amount of money?
6. Can I wait to purchase a Deuce until I am in a different place in my life?
7. How many annual miles will I be logging?
8. Where will I get my parts / repairs if there is an emergency breakdown?

Most new MV owners ask these questions before buying their first truck, but your situation is unique in that it may be your only means of transportation. You may find you have bitten off more than you can chew.
I don't know you, and I don't know your situation. If you have the means and can accept everything that comes along with it then I say do it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think about the maintenance cost. Fuel mileage aside, maintenance cost will be quite high using one as a DD.

Can you do it, Yes. Is it practical, no.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20140512_183936.jpg

My 5ton at the Target parking lot.

I consider my mildly lifted 1 ton Dodge DRW somewhat marginal as a daily driver. Sure, I can get it into most parking places but it isn't as maneuverable as a little car would be.

However , there are circumstances where I'd consider my 5ton as an acceptable daily driver. As stated above, it comes down to your situation. How far is the drive? What's the parking situation? What's your tolerance level for lack of creature comforts?

Engine lifespan on any diesel with proper maintenance should exceed 300k miles.

tobyS

Do you like traveling in a noisy and barely climate controlled vehicle at around 55 mph top speed on the highway or shifting endlessly in town driving?

No, they are not practical... even though doable with a deep pocket for fuel. Wear ear protection if you value your hearing!

Reactions: HDN

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 493586

My 5ton at the Target parking lot.

I consider my mildly lifted 1 ton Dodge DRW somewhat marginal as a daily driver. Sure, I can get it into most parking places but it isn't as maneuverable as a little car would be.

However , there are circumstances where I'd consider my 5ton as an acceptable daily driver. As stated above, it comes down to your situation. How far is the drive? What's the parking situation? What's your tolerance level for lack of creature comforts?

Engine lifespan on any diesel with proper maintenance should exceed 300k miles.
Did you let Gimpy drive that truck?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you like traveling in a noisy and barely climate controlled vehicle at around 55 mph top speed on the highway or shifting endlessly in town driving?

No, they are not practical... even though doable with a deep pocket for fuel. Wear ear protection if you value your hearing![/QUOT

funny you should mention that. I chose a 6spd manual transmission over an auto for my dodge. Simply more fun to drive, even as a daily driver.

Reactions: HDN

tobyS

98G, you must have gears that are a bit better than the ones I have driven if you go on the highways regularly. Did I get it right that you have a six speed...but in what? I didn't know a deuce was made by Dodge.

And I don't own a deuce, but have a couple of 5 tons and used to have a Dodge Power Wagon. Most guy's I know with deuces do not use them as DD.

But hey, under the right circumstances (low distance) I might have used one as a DD in my younger days...but probably not because I planned it that way. Heck, the other day I drove the 817 to an appointment with a utility engineer when the pickup was in use.

11 mpg sounds good when one is at 7-8. Enjoy your ride.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G, you must have gears that are a bit better than the ones I have driven if you go on the highways regularly. Did I get it right that you have a six speed...but in what? I didn't know a deuce was made by Dodge.

And I don't own a deuce, but have a couple of 5 tons and used to have a Dodge Power Wagon. Most guy's I know with deuces do not use them as DD.

But hey, under the right circumstances (low distance) I might have used one as a DD in my younger days...but probably not because I planned it that way. Heck, the other day I drove the 817 to an appointment with a utility engineer when the pickup was in use.

11 mpg sounds good when one is at 7-8. Enjoy your ride.
If the commute to work was back roads with top speed 35-45mph, not too terribly far, with a good place to park and little traffic, and you have a high tolerance for lack of creature comforts, then you could consider it as a daily driver.

If you're commuting 50 miles each way and parking downtown in parking places meant for econoboxes then it would be decidedly suboptimal.

My comments on the standard tranny vs auto were merely meant to point out that quite a few people prefer to drive a stick under normal circumstances, myself included. Even those such as myself wouldn't want to do it in San Francisco in heavy traffic though.

For most of us these MVs are toys. Making one a DD is a bit like having a motorcycle as your only transportation. Not really viable except in specific limited circumstances.

supeman100

thanks for all the information I really appreciate it! I looked at some deuces today saw both A2s and A3s and decided I want to go with an A3 just because they last a TON longer and have power wipers, assisted steering, etc.. my only COMPLANTis im 6'2 210lbs and I BARLEY fit inside, feeling very cramped and have to lift my foot very high to step on the gas+brakes. how do people drive these things, are they only meant for short people? is there any way to make it so the peddles are lower or the seat is higher?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6'2" 240lbs. I added 4" of cushion and re-covered the seats in my 5ton. Plenty of room everywhere except still no really great place for my left foot. Deuces are a bit smaller and may yield to other means.

Disclosure: I haven't driven a deuce since I got out of the army over 20 years ago.

Depends on what you consider practical. Where you live makes a big difference too. I use mine as a daily driver. I live in a very rural area and have 3 miles of dirt and 15 miles of paved two lane hiway to town. I alternate between it and my 61 K10. My M35 has 52's, air ride seats and rear exhaust. It gets 13mpg and runs 60mph at about 2100rpm's. They are not too practical for guys 6 foot and over. I'm 5'8" 150lbs so they are just right for me. I like driving mine because it makes people smile.Greg

oddshot

I am interested in getting a m35a2 bobbed deuce as a daily driver, is this practical?
You might have been better off posting this question over on the Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding forum
[h=2]Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding[/h]
A number of Deuce Guys don't have much use for bobbed trucks, and a lot of bobbed truck guys only hang out on the Mod. and Hot-rodding forums.

You might have gotten more responses over there.

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks