• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a CUCV right for me?

DillonOnTheCoast

I'm shopping for a diesel 4x4 to use for light off-roading, camping, and some long-distance overland travel.

On that last point, I'll probably stick to the US, western Canada, and parts of Mexico, but in my wildest moments, I think about driving from Alaska to Argentina.

I had pretty much settled on a late 80s Canadian Toyota Land Cruiser HJ or HB60 (or a US one with an engine swap). Those are right up my alley, but expensive (in the US, in good condition, they are north of $10k).

I've been looking around at options, and someone recommended an M1009 / K5 Blazer.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 4x4
  • diesel engine (reliability / extended range)
  • parts availability in North & Latin America
  • big enough to sleep inside (I'll build a platform) but not too long or wide for off-roading or parallel parking in the city. A full-size F250 is too big.
  • heated cabin. a/c is highly desirable but not essential.
  • enough power for the mountains
  • ability to sustain 65mph without being too exhausting on freeway stretches
  • reliability

The M1009 is appealing for the stout drivetrain and price.

I have a pretty high tolerance for noise, discomfort, slow going, etc. I might find myself living out of this vehicle for up to a couple months at a time, however, and I wonder if I will change my mind after a while.

As for reliability, I drove a '78 F150 starting in '92. I loved that truck, but there's no way I'd try to use one for my current plans. I need something that will require minimal wrenching once I've taken care of routine maintenance. I have a bum shoulder, so the last thing I need is to find myself unable remove some busted part while on the road.

So, whaddya think? If I find a decent one (I've seen a few in California) should I give it a look?

NCBloodhound

Really to answer this question I would encourage you just to read the posts on the forum about the CUCV. Look at the the good and bad about these vehicles in each post. My uses were different than yours, but I needed to decide between a CUCV and another truck and that is what I did. I got my truck a couple of weeks ago and though I have had some problems, I haven't regretted getting it yet.

Also, if you are going to depend on it I would highly encourage you to learn how to use the Tech Manuals. I would also encourage you to learn the electrical system inside and out. Pay particular attention to the stickies at the top of this forum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pickups have stout drivetrains. The blazer does not. Are you going to a larger tire?

Apoc Bane

My opinion.

1. Parts are readily available and pretty cheap
2. Reliability would depend on what CUCV you buy. Is it leaking or burning fluids?
(Mine hasn't been, but I didn't buy a good specimen I guess)
Be sure to get the compression and oil pressure checked on which ever one you buy.
3. I'm not to sure you can sleep in it, depends on your height. You'd have to remove the back seat (m1009), then it'd be close on wither your head is hitting the front seats.
4. No A/c unless you get the ambulance version, or add it in. Heater works well in mine.
5. I drove 300 miles at 65-75 mph without problems (m1009).
6. Should have enough power for the mountains. (will depend on your intended usage) Others might say the 6.2 isn't that powerful.

I have an M1010, and it was bought mainly to be used as an offroad camper/tow vehicle for my M37 offroad truck... it has plenty of room for sleeping, thats for sure, has a/c, although im removing mine since im going to be doing the 12v conversion... it is about the size of the F250 you mentioned, but ive never had a problem with it being to big to drive in the city. the size actually comes in handy in traffic, people tend to get out of my way alot! if your not looking for an actual camper like i was, than the M1008 is prob your best bet. theyre stout, and will do quite well offroad even in stock trim. my M1010 has amazed me with the places ive been able to go very easily, some of which i may have thought twice about taking my FS Bronco. with my M1010, my motto is "If I can fit it there, I can get it there." with the 4.56 gears, and the locker, it seems borderline unstoppable(knock on wood). i plan on a lift and 36-39" tires, but even stock, it does great. there are downsides tho. unless you put bigger tires on, dont be in a hurry. slow and steady is the way of these beasts. but ive had mine on 5-600ml roundtrips so far, and no issues other than my charging system, just havent fixed that yet. if you plan on doing multi-week plus trips, you may want to consider the M1010... its a great camper base. i wouldnt want it as my primary vehicle for just going wheeling, but im not scared to take it anywhere that clearance isnt an issue(trees, etc.). the M1009 is a great truck, but id much rather have the upgraded 5/4ton running gear of the M1008/M1028/M1010... esp. if your planning on extended trips out in the wilderness... even an M1008 with a cap would work well if theres no more than 2 of you sleeping in it. you could still build that platform/bed, but not have the size issue of the M1010. the 6.2L is definately not the most powerful engine out there, but its reliable when maintained and respected, and you can always add a turbo. make sure that you put in the crank journal girdle kit if going that route, they have a tendency to crack the blocks when you turbo them, or run them hard for extended periods alot, so i have heard. but dont let that scare you. its not something thats common if you drive it responsibly. but i think that any of the 5/4ton CUCV's would work well for you. just make sure you buy a nice one, with low miles if possible. i got mine with 11,200mls orig, and minimal minor surface rust, and only paid $1600 for it. so there are good deals to be had for these, just have to shop smart and be patient. hope this is helpful, and good luck with whatever vehicle you decide on ! and maybe one day we'll cross paths in the desert, or on a mountain trail somewhere!![thumbzup]