• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a deuce for me? I far from a mechanic...

alfred10

I live in PA and am looking for a vehicle that I can drive in the snow and have for fun. I am considering a CICV (blazer) or a M35A2. I want something that can go in deep snow and be safe if I were to slide off the road or smash into something. I currently work campus safety and drive to work in all kinds of weather. I just graduated college and am going to be a state trooper and want a hardcore vehicle. I am also going to buy a dodge challenger srt toi drive everywhere else. My question is where can I get a deuce and how much? Also if I drive it once a month and mostly in snow, how much up keep will it be. I was under the impression that these are more suited to sitting in a backyard when not being used than a regular truck. I am not a mechanic at all. I was also wondering how government liquidations works. I see that most bids start at 150.00 up at fort indian town gap. Not sure how high they usually reach? I want a hard roof, heater, possibly camper back, and whistler turbo.

Where can I find a resonable mechanic and aprox. what will I spend yearly in up keep? My insurance company quoted me 480 a year. I want one really bad for wet weather driving but most of all for the coolness factor. I am just worried that it will be an endless money pit for me...

Last edited:

Chevytruck

there are manuals for maintenance on almost all the things on it. plus you got the help of the site if you cant figure out some parts. Yes its a money hole :twisted: but i wouldn't say it would be too big if keep up on maintenance. Plus these were designed for easy maintenance too... i think :razz:

i hope that helps. :-D

grounded

Banned
I have a fully done up M35A2C that i might be willing to part with. It has all the options and has a brand new engine, trans in it and many other upgrades.

Also can swap out the bed for a camper body or other options you may want on it.

Can deliver ;)

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps you should see a M35 up close and make a decision from there.
Where in PA are you?
If you are near me I may be able to help answer your questions.

Karl

alfred10

I am right by Allentown PA. I have looked at these in person and think they are really neat. The main thing that drew me to them is the fact they can sit for long periods of time and possibly be saft if I smashed it up driving in the snow. Anyone know how these hold up in a collision with another vehicle or poles, trees, etc? I just hope they arent like the older F150's that look safe but arent. Found these

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0araA0T_k[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPBCXkoJ528[/media]

I want something that will allow me to walk away if I roll or smash it. I hate leaving work at 12am and having to drive back roads that are covered in snow and ice and usually have full size trucks tail gating me. If I go big, I want to know that it will take a hit from a plow truck and allow me to walk away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjniPX3SZBc

Last edited:

scooter01922

My fav line about safety in a deuce...... "The other vehicle is my crumple zone." Thinking about making a bumper sticker to that effect. Hee hee. You would have to hit one big tree to stop a deuce very quickly.

scooter01922

But the roll issue is gonna be an issue. Ya see there is no roll bar and the most solid thing that gonna stop the crunching effects is the engine. And thats roughly seat level. So yeah, rolling a deuce is not a good idea.

randyscycle

I'd first find someone local and have a drive and look over of their deuce.

Some things to keep in mind:

• Just 'cause its huge don't mean its safe. No padded dash, no collapsible steering column, no airbags, and no top. At least not a structural top anyway.
  • Maintenance can be pricey. More so if you can't do it yourself. 5 gallons of oil and two filters will cost you at a truck shop.
  • No power steering, so in tight spots they can be a challenge to turn.
  • Top speed of around 50-55 MPH on stock tires.
  • Noisy and hot in the Summer and noisy and lukewarm in the Winter.
  • 1950's technology.
All that said, I do love my deuce, but it has its good and bad points. Nothing else looks, sounds, draws more attention, or can work as hard as they do. Just be sure to do your homework before hand and make an informed decision.

dittle

Another thing to consider is the tires that would be on the truck. NDTs stand for No Damn Traction for a reason in certain conditions. A good set of different tread pattern is going to cost you a pretty penny.

jayjetseck

im about 45 mins away , if you make the drive here ill take you for a ride and if your still interested maybe we can work a good deal .1971 jeep m35a2 w/w ..gl is good but lots of repeat paperwork and theres is always the long wait!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're looking at a duece partly because you think they are somehow safer on the road than other vehicles look somewhere else. They aren't a "death trap" by any means but they don't offer much in the way of driver safety especially in a rollover.

Snow covered back roads at 12am in a Deuce? Not unless I had to!
These truck are not ideal to drive in any weather, they take some work to go arund the block.
Also the defrosters suck, the wipers suck and they handle like a truck. I would think you would be better off with a modern 4x4.

Josh

durring the winter i work at a ski resort and we had one of these trucks for running around between tub hill, and other places and i have to say when i drove it it handled quite well, i pulled a hell of alot of people out. we did have chains on all 10 tires, so i know that makes a huge difference. but we had like 1500lbs of crushed rock in bags to keep weight on the back end. i never got it stuck nor did i ever loose control( besides trying to power slide it in a parking lot with out chains). deepest snow i drove it threw was aprox 3-4ft of fresh powder, it was about bumper hight, and it pushed right on threw.

can say tho, if you plan on driving alot in snow, definatly invest in the tire chains, and local tire store should be able to get tire chains for a 900x20. my local tirefactory can get them, i just cant aford them yet.

this was based on personal experiance, i never had an issue, but i also never went over about 30mph either in the snow

alfred10

It just seems like it would hold up like a semi in a snow related collision. I would sure feel safe if I was rear ended or T boned while driving one. I prob. wouldnt take it over 40 on the highway in the snow. How do these things hold up to sitting around maint. wise? Will they cost more or less than a CUCV to maintain?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you're trying to do what all of us has done at one time or another. Your trying to rationalize buying a duece. If it will make you feel better I'll go ahead and agree with you :wink:. They are fun as heck and very capable but are far from the safest vehicle on the road when it comes to driver safety.

They cost more to maintain than a CUCV. The oil change alone will cost over twice as much.

alfred10

What would you consider safer on the road just for comparison? I was just thinking that the steel construction and weight would make this much safer than anything else that you wouldnt need a class B or A license to drive? How often do you change the oil and what kinds of other maint. costs are there?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it depends on what kind of accident you have. I should do pretty good getting hit by another vehicle just because of shear size. The drawbacks are no rollover protection, no colapsable steering column,and single circuit brakes. I would think a CUCV would have a better "all around" safety factor. Like I said before dueces are fine trucks but I wouldn't buy one purely on a safety factor.

GoHot229

If your looking to arrive with an 'appearance' when you get on the force, you certainly will make an 'appearance'. You will probably drive the wheels off for the first while, and as time passes, you will take a more convienient mode of transportation as a daily driver, just the convienience factor. Remember parking is often-times less than convenient in the city. Mechanical-wise, they were designed for lesser adept people with only rudamentry skills, such as new soldiers, pretty much as with most of the vehicles and equipment that the military woud have at the average intelegance type person. What I'm saying is that they are not complicated, just big and unweildy, heavy and cumbersome, compared to autos. Can you afford 4 or 5 K ? or 7-8-9 K ? With the lower amount you could easily get a standard Deuce. With the higher amount you could get a "Bobber", which would be somewhat easier to drive and opperate. If your looking for an excuse to get one, Quit-it-already, your choice and thats that, no explinations owed about your wants. Serriously I think you might find a 'Bobber" more to your likeing and needs. As for safety, a rollbar could be installed or custom made and address the roll-over isues, also a 4 or 5 point harness (seatbelt) the issues with steering wheel and lack of airbags. As far as working on it, as most of the members will tell you it's for the most part, a simple designed unit accomidating less than "Rocket-Scientist" type expertise. Also most members will advise you on repairs or modifications, this site is the premier site for info and guidance when dealing with Military Vehicle questions and information.