• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a Deuce "Whistler" Turbo on 6.2 worth considering?

JONNIE

Hi all, I have seen the video of the Deuce turbo on the 6.2 but I can't seem to find any info on the build anywhere. I am about to get started on my own 6.2 turbo build and the 6.5 turbo seems the most convenient way to proceed but I am wondering if the Deuce (C?) turbo would offer any significant advantage. If so how much additional work is involved in the swap? I have spent a significant amount of wheel time in the M35s over the years and I can't help but wonder if it would spool up faster that the 6.5 turbo. I do realize one would have to remain at 10 psi or less boost regardless of what turbo is used. Any help would be greatly appreciated and of course if this has been covered elsewhere I apologize.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm planning to use this setup for a build. But it's not for performance. Only the sound.

The turbo isn't the limitation to power on the 6.2. They need more bottom end work.

JONNIE

So, basically no gains to be had for the additional work with the exception of that phenomenal sound? Is there an exceptional amount of work to fit it to the 6.5 manifold? I assume the performance to be had with the Deuce turbo is not less than that of the factory 6.5 turbo...I hope?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A guy over on "the diesel place" did it, might be more details listed in his thread over there. He posted about it here, but not much detail.

JONNIE

Thanks for the replies! I checked out the thread at "the diesel place" and it looks like building a manifold is in order so I'm going to go back to the factory 6.5 turbo plan for now.

Expendable

This guy with his H1 removed his Muffler and Cat. (I am not condoning and or suggesting this). Just showing you what a Stock Turbo on a H1 with Stock engine sounds like with those removed. He's not the only H1 owner to do something like that to increase the turbo whistle coming from the exhaust.

Last edited:

reaper556

So, basically no gains to be had for the additional work with the exception of that phenomenal sound? Is there an exceptional amount of work to fit it to the 6.5 manifold? I assume the performance to be had with the Deuce turbo is not less than that of the factory 6.5 turbo...I hope?
A lot of work and cash for little to no gain. The 6.2 is turd no matter how you slice it and will never make power like the latter diesels. If you really need or just have to have more power drop in a 12v Cummins (not really cheap or easy) or a big block (a lot easier and cheaper it seems).

FWIW I have a another square body civy K30 with a 454 and it will far and away outdo my 1028.

nyoffroad

It does sound cool but putting a larger turd blower on will take longer to spool up than a smaller unit on the same engine.
I think I said that correctly.

iatractor

My dad said he loves the sound of my whistler. Reminds him of the first diesel tractors in the 1960's when everyone starting slapping M&W turbos on them. One guy told me to never change the turbo on my truck because he said it reminded him of the days when he was in the military. Said that when he heard that turbo, he knew they weren't going to be walking back anymore.

sochuck

Ok...I love the sound and yes I will do this one day when school is out. But now the question? The install shown in the video showed mass butchery to the keep me warm and cool box, was that a choice or just because it is a mud rig? I know there isn't much floating around about this but perhaps someone has started this project...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks