• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a Turbo HMMWV Engine Mounted in the Engine Bay Off Axis?

GTUnit

11 Series Turo HMMWV, When looking from the front of the engine bay down the center axis of the vehicle... is the engine mounted and aligned along this center axis (like practically all other modern cars) or is the motor angled to one side a bit?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All because they ditched the Deutz 6 aircooled in "favor" of the GM 6.2L.

And it gave you the cantilever steering box, too.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Deutz was underpowered. And in desert conflict I bet it would have failed.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an oil cooled Deutz in my 863 skid loader. a very small 4 cyl. makes 73HP.
And no coolant per-say so no corrosion, I am impressed, the oil cooled do make more HP for a given size than the "air cooled" (they still have oil coolers that are very important)
Of course I have no knowledge of what they were stuffing in the HMMWV and the Deutz does not seem like a likely automotive engine, great as power units.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an oil cooled Deutz in my 863 skid loader. a very small 4 cyl. makes 73HP.
And no coolant per-say so no corrosion, I am impressed, the oil cooled do make more HP for a given size than the "air cooled" (they still have oil coolers that are very important)
Of course I have no knowledge of what they were stuffing in the HMMWV and the Deutz does not seem like a likely automotive engine, great as power units.
Someone on this forum (for all I know it was you 😉) posted images of the first test project/demo HMMWV. It had that Deutz air cooled engine. It was a much lighter concept vehicle.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw three prototype Hummv's at the Yuma Proving Grounds back in the early 80's.

One was from Teledyne, one from AMG, I don't remember who built the third.

The AMG was a very neat truck at the time. The others looks like "hurried" projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks