• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FL Is Hagerty schizophrenic?

Micmada

I insured my 84 5 ton in Florida with Hagerty no problem. The registration is for big trucks, though.

They would not insure my 72 M35 because Florida requires a covered garage for antiques. It does have an antique registration.

Then I called state farm, they also required the garage thingy, so I told them I would put it in a storage unit under a cover and they were fine with that. However State farm started saying that since my main vehicles were not state farm, they might not be able to insure me. Finally they agree to insure me, however…

Last year the state decided to suspend my license because they claimed I had an accident while being uninsured. It was completely false and they gave me hell trying to figure who to call for fixing it. Then they required $$$ in at risk insurance to keep driving. What a rip off. After a week or so being suspended they finally agreed to reinstate the license… but they never expunged records apparently. I apparently have to call all credit agencies or what not to fix this.

Thus State farm got wind of that suspension and suspended my insurance. See how that works? I was like, no way I am getting at risk insurance. I called SF back and the lady was rude and heavy breathing, telling me there was no way to appeal that. I showed her a letter saying it can be appealed and I can explain. She would have none of it until I asked her for her supervisor. She said he would call me back, She then calls back and tells me it is Ok, but with a new quote: instead of $80 it will be $120 for 6 month. Why? I did not argue further and took it because upon calling Commercial insurances, they said nope, we cannot insure you with this on your credit record. Utter BS.

Whatever.

DaneGer21

I just insured my deuce yesterday. Our private insurance guy couldn’t cover it but he is also a writer for Hagerty. $180 a year, which beat a Hagerty rep by $26 and I have slightly better coverage, which is comical since it’s carried through Hagerty. No driving restrictions, or pictures of a garage(even though it is in one). With a replacement value of $6500 because that’s what they’re going for locally, even though I only have about $3500 total into mine

Creston, 44217 in Wayne County, Ohio.

Last edited:

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Alabama, Hagerty did not require my Deuce to be garaged. It definitely depends on the state, and probably on what type of coverage you have. State Farm wanted to sell me a commercial policy, possibly because the agent didn't understand MVs? Either way, I have been with Hagerty now for two years. So far, so good. YMMV

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you cannot go anywhere and be covered unless it is garaged at night and you cannot carry anythingbin it or pull a trailer
I hear that a lot but I'd sure like to see it quoted from an actual policy from Hagerty.

I could be wrong but mine says:

Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that:

1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and

2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

It seems to me that the other purposes line covers using the vehicle for what it was built for and frequency is totally subjective. They may say once a year is frequent but I would say frequent is daily. Same for trailer towing. Lot of mentions of a trailer but I can't figuer out where it says I can NEVER tow one.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear that a lot but I'd sure like to see it quoted from an actual policy from Hagerty.

I could be wrong but mine says:

Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25 years or more of age that:

1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for a private collection; and

2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

It seems to me that the other purposes line covers using the vehicle for what it was built for and frequency is totally subjective. They may say once a year is frequent but I would say frequent is daily. Same for trailer towing. Lot of mentions of a trailer but I can't figuer out where it says I can NEVER tow one.
What he said!

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 5 vehicles and a trailer insured with Hagerty. Vehicle srange from a CJ-5 to a M925A2. Been with them since 2008, never had an issue with them.
I am not aware of any mileage restrictions on my policy. Need to be stored in a locked garage yes, but that's not an issue.

There seems to be a considerable amount of misinformation being presented on what is and is not permitted. Personal use and business use often get intermixed during a conversation. This adds to the confusion as to what is and is not allowed with an insurance policy and vehicle tags.
I can carry my own personal property and can tow a trailer behind my vehicles. They indeed do know that it is not possible to lock it up at night when you are going to and from an event away from home.

They invited the MVPA Yellowstone Trail Convoy to their garage in Traverse City and put on one heck of a catered lunch for us.
Very kind people and very easy to deal with. They had a representative meet another MVPA Convoy at Mt. Saint Helens. It was nearly 100 degrees that day, so he bought all of us ice cream. Many of us participating in the cross county Convoy were insured with Hagerty, so they knew what we were doing with our MV's.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious on how hagerty covers trailers? Does it need to be garaged? What does the policy cover? Could you share a generic cost for the trailer?
I will need to find my policy and payment schedule to find out. Like most other paperwork, where did i put it???

EDIT:

I went online pulled up my Hagerty policy and called my insurance agent. Fortunately for me, he is a MV collector and has been doing insurance work for decades.

It cost me $45.00 per year to insure the trailer for collision and other than collision damage.
$ 250 deductible and $ 3,500 guaranteed value.
Needs to be garage kept when not in use and needs to be towed behind one of my vehicles that is listed on my Hagerty policy.
They do not issue a vehicle insurance card for trailers. But it is listed on my policy as an insured vehicle.

Having access to my policy online has been great. Very easy to navigate and if I need any information or a replacement vehicle ID card, it's all there.
My insurance agent that handles my Hagerty policy has been great as well, he really understands the insurance business and tells me like it is. No sugar coating or BS from him.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks