• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it always in 6 wheel drive?

ctappan94

I drive a Wrangler with a '4wd' indicator....

I THOUGHT my deuce engaged FWD in addition to RWD when I hit the little air solenoid under the dash which states ' front wheel drive' ... but in the TM I just read, it says that's for deep water fording and actually just pushes air to I believe it said the flywheel.

So my question is... I can see obviously the hi/low T case...but where do I engage FWD if not that solenoid?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have the little air switch and light under the gauge panel, you have a sprag t-case (automatic).

The fording switch is another switch and unless your truck has a fording kit installed, you don't have that switch.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
To elaborate about the Sprague it will engage when the rear wheels are spinning (hopefully and usually after you are stuck). If the Sprague gets locked in (what we used to call "wound up" and you get on a hard surface the steering wheel will fight you like a buzz saw. When it releases with a "BANG" you may suffer experience explosive defecation. The air shift is much better and less prone to cause "filled drawers syndrome".

SoundGuy

lol. Explosive defecation is cured by an air transfer case. Interesting treatment Dr. Wreakerman. :)

To the original question, If you jack up one of the front wheels and put the truck in gear (without the engine running) and can free spin the wheel, It is not in FWD. You could engage the switch and see if the wheel stops spinning. Oh, and you could adjust your brakes while your that far.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my question is... I can see obviously the hi/low T case...but where do I engage FWD if not that solenoid?
What solenoid?

Do you have an air switch under the dash?

two.fiveM35

If you don't have the little air switch and light under the gauge panel, you have a sprag t-case (automatic).

In the case of my truck, it originally had a sprag t-case. When it was rebuild years ago they updated it with a air shift transfer case but never installed the air actuator switch or it's plumbing. I have since purchased a kit it install the switch, but it have not installed it yet.