• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it legal to ride in the back of a deuce and a half

Glinck

Hi i just got a is deuce and a half me and my brothers are restoring
and we want to drive my paintball team in the back to the game in the deuce
is it legal in Pa. ?

thanks Ken

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The vehicle is equipped with troop seats as are the new vehicles the military replaced it with. Easier to beg forgiveness that ask permission.
I would be more worried about the insurance issue.....will they cover you if someone is injured getting in or out of the vehicle or if you were involved in a serious accident while carrying passengers.
Just my two coppers worth.

Mt Doom Field Owner

Glinck... As a fellow paintballer and a resident of Alabama I would have to say the way to find out is load up the team and GO FOR IT!!! Either you make it or you don't! Either way you will have an interesting follow up to this post! Here are a bunch of players going back to the far end of our field in my deuce that I call "Erma"

Attachments

SterlingDevelop

Easier to beg forgiveness that ask permission.
I wish it were that way, but there is a standing policy amongst the enforcers of the communist manifesto that warnings be kept to a minimum.

Philly is bankrupt, and had to borrow 270 million last week to pay their bills.

There are orders in place within all agencies to squeeze the rock till it bleeds.

Simple rule of thumb.

If it sounds like fun, you will be pulled over and ticketed for it.

dobyg75

Here in NH it is legal to ride in the back as long as you're over 18 because we have no seat belt law but if your state has a seat belt law than i doubt that you will be allowed to ride back there. However you could argue the fact that school busses don't have seat belts because they are desined to ride up over cars when they get hit.

goldneagle

Here in NH it is legal to ride in the back as long as you're over 18 because we have no seat belt law but if your state has a seat belt law than i doubt that you will be allowed to ride back there. However you could argue the fact that school busses don't have seat belts because they are desined to ride up over cars when they get hit.
:funny:

SterlingDevelop

Cargo area laws

Here you go.

So many restrictions as to make it functionally a no-go.

I personally have been ticketed for things that were not illegal, because they LOOKED unusual to the ticketing officer.
If you do this, you will be ticketed. I guarandamntee it.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
also depending on how you insure it and tag it, carring anything at all in the bed may be illegal and if anything at all happens you may not be covered. so i would say if you have several millions for the damages lawsuit, go for it.

tdoskey

Here is a semi-serious thought. Leave the sides and back of your cover down and LEO won't see what's in the back. Seriously though, big liability if your not properly insured and Murphy shows up.:roll:

4trans

from my understanding of the law you have to be over 18 to ride in the back and you cant go faster then 35mph here is the pa vehicle code it should be in there

GoHot229

In North Carolina it appears to be legal to ride in the back of a pick-up truck, leading me to believe it ok to do so. In California where I lived, I believe if the Law saw it they would have SWAT out and you'd be on the 6:00 news "cult leader attempts mass suicide with members" We all know the dangers of riding in the back, and with such a high center of gravity for the passengers in the Deuce bed, the troop seats may exaservate the rolling effect and tossing of the passengers in turns and rough terrain. Alot of states have made riding in pick-up trucks illeagle, so I would suspect the same rules apply to a scenario such as a Deuce or MV in general. In California it was legal with a affixed seat and seat restraints (seatbelts) The Highway Patrol don't mess around, and are highly educated in Vehicle Codes. However you could go to your local library and look at your particular State Vehicle Codes, they should likly have the State code version there for viewing.

dabtl

Seat belt laws normally apply to vehicles originally equipped and designed for them.

They became mandatory in 1973 for new cars and trucks.

As my deuces were made in 1971, I do not worry about the tickets.

I do worry about safety and only carry someone in the back during a parade when I am going about 5 mph at the most.

dittle

In case you do decide to haul in the back of your Deuce make sure to get yourself one of the troops straps that go across the back above the tailgate. I know the military isn't supposed to (and usually won't) haul anyone in the back of a Deuce/FMTV w/out that strap in place.

emr

OK, So here in NJ as I am oh so certain it is ilegall, because everything alse is, BUT When running Antique plates , U do NOT have to have seat belts lights or anything else up to date as long as it is/was that way when the vehicle was built, SO I think this is an arguable area, as so as long as They were built before the year/dates of the seat belt laws, AND they ARE designated Seating for passengers, And anyone remember the Subarus the little thing with the seats backwards outside the little truck, they were/are legal in all 50 states, they have seat belts but were made after the seat belt law, SO If U are running antique plates U should very well be OK< Not saying a law officer would see it that way, But I would think a judge would have to. NOW I have had plans for 10 years to put a long remavable officail looking board with a row of seat belts on it, and I would bet this would pass the smell test for almost all officers, since it would be so new, and well just done right.So yes I do believe we can do it...:-D... and as for a pick up , it was never designed to casrry passsengers so this is apples to oranges...A deuce is/was a passenger vehicle, and just like riding in My buddys DUKW in the lake, i said how many people could we carry in the water, He said He asked and the Motor Vehicle said, Does it had a max occupancy plate, He said it does , So they said that is what it can carry, So like 34 guys or gals are official in the water, I think its the same thing...It was designed to do it, But it must be registered antique, and to be really safe, bolt in a set of seat belts but do not do a hack job, and u will be good to go...As for insurance, they have to cover U, they may cancell you if they find they do not like it But U WILL be covered.

Last edited:

SterlingDevelop

Here, in non-urban PA, if it needs/wants to be done, we just do it.
Hey, that sounds almost................AMERICAN!!!:-D

I'm trying like heck to get away from here, I've stood all I can stands and I can't stands no more!!

The giants of logic repealed the motorcycle helmet law, but you still have to wear a seatbelt.

Helmets and seatbelts are good things, I should be free to choose whether I want to wear one, and whether I can ride in the back of a truck:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks