• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it normal to have slightly lower heat readings on end cylinder exhaust?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was using my IR heat gun on the exhaust ports in my MEP-803a and finding a slightly lower temp on the end cylinders, a difference of about 13-15 degrees from the center two cylinders. For anyone else who has used this type of thermometer did you find the same results?

My guess is there is more block mass near these two end cylinders and they may take some time to even out to the other two. The forward cylinder also has a lot of air moving by it from the fan so that might be sinking some heat away from it.

I've also seen many pics of sets where the center of the manifold has noticeably been running at higher temps as the paint has burned away and rust has set in.

Any concurrences to my findings?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manifold on these units are not designed such that you will see even EGTs from outside to inside. The higher combined flow at the center will yield you higher temps.

You should see how much difference there is on an inline 6. A difference of 15 degrees is nothing. If you were finding 150 degrees different I would suggest looking for either an air restriction or fuel distribution. I consider what you are seeing as OK.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manifold on these units are not designed such that you will see even EGTs from outside to inside. The higher combined flow at the center will yield you higher temps.

You should see how much difference there is on an inline 6. A difference of 15 degrees is nothing. If you were finding 150 degrees different I would suggest looking for either an air restriction or fuel distribution. I consider what you are seeing as OK.
Thanks!

Just running it by the hive to confirm my thoughts on it. I've never done a manifold heat observation before so it's good to know that things are in order as to cylinder output. The set runs very well pand the exhaust is clean so all cylinders must be contributing as they should.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks