• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it safe to pull a M348A2 with a deuce?

jdknech

i am looking at a m348a2 at redstone AL, and was wondering if i could pull it on a dolly with a deuce? its a 320mi trip from there to home (Louisville KY) is this safe? and is mt deuce set up for the brakes?:confused:

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Unless you knew for sure, this would not be posted.
MT, maybe, a lot of things are possible, but not many are advisable.
When you get it home, what are you planing on towng it with?
A dolly could work for the trip, but try to find a volunteer with at least an M-818.

Farmun

only thing that would worry me would be backing up with a trailer dolly
Yep, that would be fun. Think of it as a 4-wheel wagon. Back in my younger years, I could back any 4-wheel wagon just about anywhere. But it was with a tractor that had power steering and steering brakes and plenty of room. Not much fun, but do-able. With a Deuce...I wouldn't even want to attempt it.

jwaller

as long as the whole combo isn't over 10k your fine. but I'd be darn sure that you had additional brakes on at least 1 of the axles of the dolly or trailer.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he means is his deuce set up to control the brakes on the trailer. The answer is yes. Several people here (Frodobaggins hauled a heavy m750 with a dolly http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/38650-m750-m101-m105-recovery-woot.html ) have done it. I used a dolly to pull a fully loaded m146 when I moved from VA to SC. GVW was almost 39,000... it did just fine.

If the brakes on the trailer work, I would say you could do it. One thing about that trailer and a dolly- you will not want to make any sharp right turns if you can help it. If you have room to swing, that's fine. But forget pulling up to a normal traffic light and turning right. you will have the pivot at the pintle, and at the 5th wheel. It was bad enough with a 26ft m146, it would be a lot worse with a 40ft trailer.

And don't go anywhere you can't pull straight out of! backing up is extremely difficult, but it can be done with practice!

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That combination is going to look awful funny, and can attract attention. DOT will require brakes on all axles. While you may technically be set up for trailer brakes on the Deuce, it really wasn't ment for that purpose. If you have an accident with it, your not going to have an excuse. They will say, that your just trying to save money, by doing it this way, and putting the publics safety at risk. Then too, you have the invariable CDL thing. The CDL, required or not, would need a combination endorsement. If you don't have that kind of experience, its not safe.

Id be surprised if a Deuce will pull that parade at 30 mph on the flat. It might not be too heavy, but there is a lot of wind resistance. Are there brakes and lights on that trailer that work? Just one of the first, elementary questions.

Reactions: emr

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to pulling my m35-m200-m146 combination, I called VA DOT, NC DOT, and SC DOT. They asked me how much it weighed, they asked what was in it, they asked if it was all mine, they asked if I was hauling anything for anyone else, they asked about lights, they asked about brakes.

All three said- It's yours, it's under 80k, it's not commercial, no CDL

I highly recommend you check with your DOT, and keep the names of those you talked to with you, incase a curious trooper stops and asks. I did stop at a weigh station in NC, just to make sure (it was the only one open on the trip down) and the guy was trying to sling his own arm off he was waving me over the scales so fast- aparently to him I was holding up the line.

Another thing to concider- say you get a dolly, and get there, and the brakes on the trailer are trash? what then? I definitly would not tow it if they didn't work with a dolly. You might be able to ease it off base to work on it, but that's taking a huge risk, you sure don't want to get in a wreck.

Just my opinions based on my experiances.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferroequinologist is correct; if you are not hauling anything for anyone else (aka "commercial"), then you don't need a CDL...dependent upon the age of the vehicle & your intended purpose (for example, as an RV or camper), you might not need a CDL. California & Nevada require a Class "A" endorsement to your regular driver's license if you are towing a trailer that is heavier than 10K pounds...but as far as I know California is the only state that really enforces this in the western states.

jdknech

the plan is to convert it into a camper, and use it on the dolly with the deuce... as far as backing it up, i back hay wagons every day, its just a bit bigger! lol i also called the Indiana DOT, and they told me that as long as its my trailer, and my truck, being used for Private use, i'm good! i just didnt know if the deuce would handle it or not.... i am toyin with the idea of putting the 5th wheel on the truck.... idk, just an idea.....

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if i'm wrong, But isn't the M197 dolly intended for just this poropse? To pull this trailer behind the M44 series trucks. They even share the same wheels and tires. I have used my M197 dolly to pull my M127 with my M35. It is very important to make sure the trailer's axle has brakes. Otherwise you wil end up with a jacknife when braking in a turn. Or heavy braking.

DavidB

Just towed a M373A2 home on Tuesday with my M275A2, pulled great and no trouble at all. No pictures as it was raining.Lights and brakes all working properly the only way to do things. We now have to prove to Wi DOT military vehicles are safe.
DavidB

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can do it but you will be a "toad in the road" on the interstate.
The road between Huntsville and Louisville has a lot of hills on it.
In some places it is against the law to run under 45 on the interstate. You can get a ticket for "obstructing traffic".
There will be vehicles running 70+ mph rolling up behind you including 80,000 pound commercial vehicles.
I have the same type trailer and I have pulled it with a M275 tractor and a M54 tractor.
I was on the two lanes and rarely got above 45 MPH.

If you are going to pull it a lot I would strongly reccommed getting a tractor or converting a deuce to a tractor.

Just because you can do something doesen't mean you should.

Stan Leschert

Find this! It will answer some questions. I will try to search for a link.
TM-9-2330-203-14-P
Max rated highway speed was 30 MPH.
Put some fuel in a buddy's M-818, and save yourself a world of problems.

Just because you can do things under "War Time" conditions, does not mean that this is a good idea in "Peace Time" on civilian Highways.

Ask, there may be someone near your route with an 818 who won't hose you for haulage.

Now you got an excuse for the "Marital Unit", so that you too can buy a M-818!

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 15th, 2010.

If I were going to move this beastie regularly any distance, I would be looking around for an 800 or 900 series road tractor, because the deuce is not gonna be fast enough on hills to keep from getting run over on the interstate! My own M35A2 in the icon annexed is gonna get at least one convoy flasher behind the cab on a mast, to alert the hobos that like to run, oh, 80 MPH on the I that there is a slower moving truck around (Where the Big I is at 70 MPH speed limit, a 54 MPH deuce is a big tan target). I'd also get and use a set of reflectorized "Convoy Ahead" and "Convoy Follows" signs from Rick Larsen to make yourself more visible in bad weather and at night.....
Just my two cents worth,

Be safe and good luck,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:wink: