• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it the end of the world? Latest GP auction prices.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because one truck sales at a ridiculous price does not mean we are dealing with a trend.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because one truck sales at a ridiculous price does not mean we are dealing with a trend.
It wasn't just that truck, there were a few other m1123's that went for 25-30k. The more I think, someone's running up the prices. I think these Humvees will be back up on the block.

Sigi

I went for a 2-seat 1123 out of Yermo with 7k miles after a 2009 rebuild (below $12k). Shown as running and driving but pretty stripped (no tailgate, windshields, roof, doors but with red dot AC components). Other more complete trucks went for $20-30k.

During bidding, I missed that the stinger exhaust was crushed (but no body damage) and that the deep water intake snorkel was off. I was concerned about enough water entering the engine during transport to the wet PNW to lock it up. Fortunately, that did not happen. The truck arrived yesterday. I won the auction late September (EUC took 4 months, I was out of town for another month). So it has been some additional time sitting in the desert. But after I charged the batteries, fully aired up the tires, the truck was running and driving fine, all lights work etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is consider going for a recent rebuild with some miles on it. Fewer people seem to bid on those.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigi, you're supposed to have both city and state in your profile; it's part of the rules for this place.

If you are on facecrook, we have a Pacific Northwest Steel Soldiers group for this area. We usually have a few activities a year. There are a few members down near where you are at if you need help with anything. Send me a message if you need any help, I'm up near Olympia WA

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigi, you're supposed to have both city and state in your profile; it's part of the rules for this place.

If you are on facecrook, we have a Pacific Northwest Steel Soldiers group for this area. We usually have a few activities a year. There are a few members down near where you are at if you need help with anything. Send me a message if you need any help, I'm up near Olympia WA
Actually just the state is required :
• Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile. This allows the other members to know their neighbours. Users who refuse to add their location will be subject to warning, temporary ban, and then permanent ban.

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went for a 2-seat 1123 out of Yermo with 7k miles after a 2009 rebuild (below $12k). Shown as running and driving but pretty stripped (no tailgate, windshields, roof, doors but with red dot AC components). Other more complete trucks went for $20-30k.

During bidding, I missed that the stinger exhaust was crushed (but no body damage) and that the deep water intake snorkel was off. I was concerned about enough water entering the engine during transport to the wet PNW to lock it up. Fortunately, that did not happen. The truck arrived yesterday. I won the auction late September (EUC took 4 months, I was out of town for another month). So it has been some additional time sitting in the desert. But after I charged the batteries, fully aired up the tires, the truck was running and driving fine, all lights work etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is consider going for a recent rebuild with some miles on it. Fewer people seem to bid on those.
Hit me up if you need a extended exhaust , we have around 10 new ones left. I'm down in Bend / Sisters area

Attachments

blutow

+1 on this. I'd argue that a rebuild with some miles on it should be more desireable than a rebuild that just sat with no miles. My truck basically had no miles after the rebuild, so they assembled hundreds/thousands of parts, did a quick test (less than 10 miles on the road) and then it was unused. Basically, that means they didn't shake it down and fix anything that might have been screwed up unless it was obvious after a quick drive. The odds of having an issue immediately after a full rebuild are much higher compared to once you've put a couple thousand miles on it. I found a handful of things that were screwed up on my rebuild. Nothing major, just a few loose bolts, some poor wire routing, and a serpantine belt incorrectly installed. That said, I still only have about 250 miles on it since the rebuild, so it wouldn't surprise me to have a few more things pop up. I think the rebuild trucks are worth a premium because they replace a lot of items that deteriorate with age. Whether they have miles on them since the rebuild shouldn't dramatically affect value as long as it's not a ton of miles.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, IROAN tends to be the same time as they got the MAK or Red Dot aircon install. Not a real rebuild, and only things that were considered to be issues were supposed to be repaired.
From a reliability standpoint, there probably isn't really any difference. If the truck sat for 10 years after being inspected or rebuilt, pretty much anything wrong with it is going to be age deterioration, and not abuse/wear and tear.
One that got a few thousand miles on it after it was rebuilt likely IS in better shape as everything was getting moved and lubricated. A couple thousand miles isn't really enough to wear out anything on most vehicles unless it was iffy to begin with.

blutow

Repair as needed is not the same as a full rebuild, I had at time of iroan only 19 miles . So why would they rebuild it? or am i mistaken
Mine was 2009 IROAN in Barstow. It's hard to say 100% what was replaced, but I feel like I have a decent idea and it seems fair to call it a rebuil (right or wrong). The motor and transmission were both rebuilt w/ 2009 rebuild tags, which seems common. If you believe the mileage at iroan (22), you'd question why they swap in new powertrains, but seals and stuff do get old. Many components on the truck that have a date code on them are from 2009 (power steering pump, horn, high pressure hoses, etc.), so it seems that some stuff just gets replaced based on age (I seriously doubt all of that stuff was bad at the time of IROAN). I debate whether the wiring harness was replaced. I don't see any cracking on the rubber connectors, but some wires are stiff from age (especially the transmission harness). Everything that was rubber appears to have been replaced (except the hood bumpers were totally cracked, but maybe those crack quickly?). I did a bit of searching on the IROAN process and I couldn't find any specifics and it sounds like the process varies from one IROAN program to another and even from one vehicle to the next.

One thing I suspect - they must have been doing mulitiple IROAN trucks at the same time with mixing of components across trucks. A couple of my portal hubs were really beat up (showing prior chipped paint and corrosion that was painted over) and I suspect they are not the originals to the truck since nothing else showed this kind of wear. I also have one of my rear floor panels/seat backs that was totally beat to crap, so I suspect they were just pulling stuff like that from a pile as they rebuilt the trucks.

Warhound_01

Hello all, this is my first post here, Just bought a M1123 yesterday, in prep for the end of the world, LOL. So my vote would be yes.....

Can I get a link to the PNW facebook page, have lots of learning to do on the new to me rig.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, this is my first post here, Just bought a M1123 yesterday, in prep for the end of the world, LOL. So my vote would be yes.....

Can I get a link to the PNW facebook page, have lots of learning to do on the new to me rig.
Welcome and congratulations! Hate to burst your bubble but the end of the world will come and go before you get your EUC! Hahaha
The 27th will be 3 months on my second Hmmwv. They say the second one is faster and now I’m trying to figure out who They is.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Welcome @Warhound_01 !

Welcome to the Outfit! Be sure to create yourself a thread in the HMMWV section with pictures of your new-to-you truck. Maybe snag one or two of the auction pix and then when you go pick it up. Heck, might even take pictures if you go recover it yourself...

Anyhow, glad that you have jumped in and discovered this place. Lots of good information. TM's (Technical Manuals) for your trucks - Free to Download - are here too.

Warhound_01

Welcome @Warhound_01 !

Welcome to the Outfit! Be sure to create yourself a thread in the HMMWV section with pictures of your new-to-you truck. Maybe snag one or two of the auction pix and then when you go pick it up. Heck, might even take pictures if you go recover it yourself...

Anyhow, glad that you have jumped in and discovered this place. Lots of good information. TM's (Technical Manuals) for your trucks - Free to Download - are here too.
Yup, will be picking it up myself, isnt that half the fun from buying from .GOV?

Warhound_01

Welcome and congratulations! Hate to burst your bubble but the end of the world will come and go before you get your EUC! Hahaha
The 27th will be 3 months on my second Hmmwv. They say the second one is faster and now I’m trying to figure out who They is.
Funny this is actually my biggest concern, LOL. The way inflation is going, I figure its better than sitting in worthless dollars right now, even if it takes 3 months. As long as I can pick it up before complete destruction. :eek:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

@Warhound_01

You also mentioned Pacific North West... Might be worth reading the thread below. Got a MV Rally (Show) that might be a good place to meet people with similar interests and parts for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks