• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it time to start looking for a starter?

ragedracer

I ran to the store yesterday, everything was good to go. When I came out, I turned the key to crank, and nothing. I thought for sure my starter relay had gone out. I reached up under the dash and pulled it out. Banged it around a little, put it back in, nothing. There was a parts store just up the road, so I walked down there and bought a new relay. I haven't done the mod yet, so it's just the stock relay. I was pretty sure this was going to fix it. Put the new one in, still no crank. Everything was lighting up like it was supposed to.

I popped the hood and looked around, checked connections, etc. Still no crank. Well, I decided to try the old standby. I rapped on the starter with a hammer, not hard, just tapped it. Started right up.

Is this a sign of a starter going bad or something else?

ragedracer

Sounds like a sticking solenoid. Change it out and you should be good to go.

While you have the starter out, you might want to check the bearings and brushes, just to make sure all is good.
Solenoid = $50. Starter + solenoid = $100.

If I've got to pull the starter out anyway, I might as well put a new one in for the extra $50. Agree? I can keep the old one as a back-up...

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solenoid = $50. Starter + solenoid = $100.

If I've got to pull the starter out anyway, I might as well put a new one in for the extra $50. Agree? I can keep the old one as a back-up...
Pull the starter apart and see if the internals are good. If they are, just go with the solenoid. If you have questions on the innards get a new one or the one you have rebuilt.

Havent bought a solenoid lately, but 50 clams seems kinda high.