• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it worth it?

WyoDeuce

A "newer" 600 would start around $5000 and go all the way up to a "NEW" 800 at $10,000. I would be happy to trade my running deuce w/w for $7000 worth of snowmobile. I would then sell the sled and buy 3 more deuces from GL. Don't buy it! For less $ than a 600 sled you can buy a nice deuce that has been checked out. This guy is feeding everyone a line of B.S. Check the classifieds and buy from someone here who won't lie to you.

dittle

Just looking at the MN craigslist I see several people who have Deuces for sale in Eastern MN/Western WI. I don't know what part of the state you are from but there are much better options than this truck.

1adamp

Thanks for all the in put. Anyone got a list of things to look for (common problems) when buying my first Deuce? I do like the advice to make a list of features I want in my MV.

pyrogod117

Just add beer and trees.
I've had 4 close calls. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. It just makes it all that more exciting though.

The last snowmobile we have left (Sold the rest after we moved from upstate NY) is a 1999 Arctic Cat Thundercat. 1,000cc 2-stroke triple. Puts out 192hp on the dyno (sadly more than the deuce has) and weighs about 650lbs. It's geared down a bit for better takeoff, but when it was stock it topped out around 130mph.

I know a lot of guys that used to bar hop and ride drunk, but I wouldn't even think of doing that. More concerned for the lives of someone else I might hit than my own (That comes from being a FF/EMT).

greenjeepster

I've had 4 close calls. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. It just makes it all that more exciting though.

The last snowmobile we have left (Sold the rest after we moved from upstate NY) is a 1999 Arctic Cat Thundercat. 1,000cc 2-stroke triple. Puts out 192hp on the dyno (sadly more than the deuce has) and weighs about 650lbs. It's geared down a bit for better takeoff, but when it was stock it topped out around 130mph.

I know a lot of guys that used to bar hop and ride drunk, but I wouldn't even think of doing that. More concerned for the lives of someone else I might hit than my own (That comes from being a FF/EMT).
We moved out of New England almost 7 years ago and I still own 5 sleds.... I am finally letting them go this winter. It is hard because I love ridding so much, but we have only been running them 1 week a year.

So where do you live in Forked River? My Grandparents live behind Captain's Inn (the pavilion at the dock is dedicated to my Grandfather) and my uncle lives out by the Third lake. My dad worked on the Game Farm back in the 70s when they were still raising pheasants.

Josh

Riding sleds is fun. My brother has a 1100 Turbo charged yamaha nitro. about 295hp. I rode it once. never again. we used to have a supercharged 550 Yamaha Phazer. That thing was scary too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You gotta remember that Clinto is from the south....a 1/4 inch of snow shuts down the entire state. The don't know the lingo for snowmobiles!
I didn't know what a "600 sled" was either :oops:. I've only seen one snowmoblie in my life. A buddy of mine traded for one from somebody. All I know about it was it was an old POS and didn't go very well in dirt. He kept it for a couple of years while we waited for enough snow to ride it but he finally found another sucker to sell it to.

greenjeepster

He is referring to a snow mobile or here in VT they are called snow machines. 600 is the CC of the engine.
Only if your French;-) I am from Vermont and have called them snowmobiles my entire life. Just pick up an It's Classified or Green Mountian Trading post and look at the heading for "Snowmobiles". If that is not enough proof for you visit VAST's (Vermont Association of Snow Travelers) web site. "Snowmachine" does not appear at all on their site, but Snowmobile does;-)

Scarecrow1

Hey I'm from the south too . And I would like to clear up this snow insult being tossed around about the south . A half inch of snow only lets you go home early or show up late for work or school . One inch and you have the day off. Now this progression is good up to about three or four inches of snow ..After that you don't want to venture out. ONLY BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN WAITING ALL YEAR FOR AN EXCUSE TO THROW ONE **** OF A PARTY , AND IT IS TOO DANGEROUS TO GET IN BETTWEEN US AND A GOOD TIME ...........:wink:

bubba_got_you

If the tranny and the windshield are all that’s broken and you can get it for a song (cheep) then I say what the **** why not! Just replace the tranny and get a new windshield.
This opinion is coming from a guy whose first mv was a broken down piece of crap m37.
[FONT=&quot] But if its not cheep then id wait and get a running driving one. [/FONT]

Attachments

greenjeepster

My impression of the ad is that it is a scammer phishing for email addresses. I never respond to anything on craigslist that is either too good to be true or does not include a phone number.

WyoDeuce

Thanks for all the in put. Anyone got a list of things to look for (common problems) when buying my first Deuce? I do like the advice to make a list of features I want in my MV.
When I bought my deuce I waited a long time to get a good one the first time. I wanted the air shift front axle, (little lever below the dash), a turbo, minimal rust and a winch. If you think that you might ever need a winch it is cheaper and easier to buy a truck with a winch than to buy ($1000-$1500) and install one later. Shipping a 500 lb winch is expensive too. When I found a good truck I bid to win. (Bought on GL) I was very surprised to find a heater and new cargo cover when I picked it up. Keep looking and you will find the right truck for a good price. There are plenty of trucks around and there aren't a lot of buyers with cash. Don't be afraid of GL either. They are a pain in the a** but the trucks are straight out of service and can be a great deal. There are lots of threads here with advice for GL auction buying. Good Luck.

P.S. Anyone want to go snowmobiling at 10,000 ft plus?

Attachments

pyrogod117

We moved out of New England almost 7 years ago and I still own 5 sleds.... I am finally letting them go this winter. It is hard because I love ridding so much, but we have only been running them 1 week a year.

So where do you live in Forked River? My Grandparents live behind Captain's Inn (the pavilion at the dock is dedicated to my Grandfather) and my uncle lives out by the Third lake. My dad worked on the Game Farm back in the 70s when they were still raising pheasants.
No way! I'm on Jones Rd right down the street from Captains Inn. In fact my parents are good friends with the owners and my grandfather goes there like every weekend. My dad was bartending the Tiki Bar for a bit during the summer. Does the last name Naia ring a bell?

P.S. Anyone want to go snowmobiling at 10,000 ft plus?
YES PLEASE! Lend me a sled or find a way to ship mine out I'll gladly go. Just have to re-jet and open up the mains a bit.