• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it worth pulling the oilpan?

rrrr

So it looks like someone has replaced my primary filter with a secondary??

If that came out of the filter assembly just below the Generator then yes its the wrong filter type. The small filter sits high in the assembly so that water can collect in the bottom and not be sucked into the fuel line leading to the other fuel filters. That is why its important to drain your primary filter frequently especially if your truck sits outside or you use alternate fuels or fuels from questionable locations. You might just want to consider doing the spin on filter upgrade for the primary filter rather than try to get the parts to make your assembly correct for use with the correct primary filter.

I will be doing the filter upgrade on my next change. There are a couple of members that sell the kits here's a link to one:

JATONKA MULTIFUEL SPIN-ON OIL FILTER KITS

You can also check the SS classifieds.

Good luck !

OldDominionIron2

I'm going to make a run to NAPA and see if they have the spring/cup assembly to replace what's missing in this housing. This IS the filter below the generator, on the right front side of the engine compartment. I just hope when I go to pull the secondary fuel filters out they have all the parts. Maybe I'll just pick up 3 sets of springs/cups in case they don't. Thanks for all the help, folks. I've run across another thread where the guy had the same style filter, but he had the spring/cup rig to make it work, and he was using the same replacement filters as me. Back later.

jwaller

napa will not have the spring and cup, we are lucky to get the filter from them. you will have to get the spring and cup from a surplus dealer or just swap to a spin on for a much better filter.

hklvette

In your left hand is the new type primary fuel filter. The other filter, tall one, is the secondary/final type fuel filter.
My truck came with the same tall ceramic-ish filter in the primary. IIRC, the secondary filters won't fit in the primary housing because there's a "stand" in the housing of the primary. Like others have said, I plan on replacing the primary and secondaries with spin-ons the next time that they are due for a change.

edit: As for pulling the oil pan: I can't stand RTV as a substitute for a gasket. I strongly prefer a molded rubber gasket when I can get it, and a cork with a light coat of RTV when I can't.

my $.02

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In your left hand is the new type primary fuel filter. The other filter, tall one, is the secondary/final type fuel filter.

That is incorrect. There is more than one filter that works in the primary housing. I believe the longer filter in the pic is the re-usable filter may people look for. If you turn that filter up-side down, does the seating surface reach up into the middle of the can? I bet it does. I spray mine down with brake cleaner and run low pressure air through them to clean it out. Once its dry put it back in.

rrrr

That is incorrect. There is more than one filter that works in the primary housing. I believe the longer filter in the pic is the re-usable filter may people look for. If you turn that filter up-side down, does the seating surface reach up into the middle of the can? I bet it does. I spray mine down with brake cleaner and run low pressure air through them to clean it out. Once its dry put it back in.

Never herd of a reusable primary filter. Good to know, thanks.

OldDominionIron2

Well, before I found out the primary filter was reusable, I ended up buying a spin on filter set up, a Baldwin FB1311. I guess I'll keep the old filter, or reinstall it and use the new filter base for a coolant filter.

Thanks for all the advice, that's why I love this board. Fuel filters are done, will tackle the oil change tomorrow. I love having a week off from work.

zout

just lay it on its side like gimp does and work on it standing up removing the oil pan.

Unless something falls out on an oil drain - leave er on.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Better hope nothing falls out! When it happened to me, it was a bearing for the oil pump! I had to take the whole front end apart to fix it.

OldDominionIron2

I'm eventually going to reinstall the original primary filter with the reusable element. As I posted earlier, there was not a spring or cup in the filter, and the filter element was loose in the housing. So the plan is to leave the spin on filter installed until I can get the pieces needed to return the original filter to as-built, ie. find a spring/cup or gasket to hold the reusable filter element against the top of the filter assembly. Time to dig through the TM's and try to find some NSN's, but going to change the oil this morning first.

Last edited: