• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my 1987 road worthy?

HogHunter

I recently bought a 1987 CUCV that had been used by the Forest Service for fire control. When I bought it, the guy I got it from asked me what I was going to be using it for. I was curious about the question because I assumed it was just a truck and I could use it like any other vehicle. Aside from being old, it is in good shape. The seller said it had 20,000 miles but I think it is more like 120,000 because the brake pedal has more wear than I would think a vehicle would get in 20,000 miles. Of course, since it was used for fire control I can imagine the normal use would have included a lot of heavy braking in the woods. So perhaps the guy was telling the truth. Regardless, I got a good deal on it so I was happy. That is until I heard from someone on another site that I shouldn't be driving it at highway speeds.

It has the original three speed transmission and 6.2L diesel. As I said above, it was suggested that I shouldn't drive it at highway speeds because the transmission was pushing the motor too hard. Some even suggested I ought to put in a 700R4 in to give it another gear. At $1,000 to $2,000 this is a big chunk of change. Of course I don't want to ruin the truck so, I will do what I need to.

I suppose I could try to hunt down a junk yard tranny but even that would be at least $600 is my guess.

The truck seems to run fine at highway speed. As an alternative to putting in the 700R4 could I simply keep my speed under 55 and save the bucks for now? Is there something I should be looking out for while driving it? Are there signs I am headed for trouble?

In truth, my plan was to convert it to SVO but that will also cost $2,000.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on what kind of truck it is. M1009, M1008, M1010...etc. Also I thought they stopped making the CUCV in 1986.

Oh yes, welcome to Steelsoldiers.

HogHunter

I don't know how to tell. I only recognized it as a military vehicle when I saw the standard lift point plate that all military vehicles have. When the truck was put up for auction, they removed a significant amount of equipment. Some because it obviously Forest Service related , others because someone was remove happy. They took the horn, the wiper fluid reservoir, and lots of stuff I can't identify.

The plate if I recall said it was a CUCV. That is where I picked up on the term. I am in my office and the truck is in the lot but I will check it when I leave work. The truck I drove in the Army was a Gamma Goat which was completely different! :)

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pickups and chassis cabs have 4.56 axle gears. The M1009 has 3.08 gears. You can run the M1009 above highway speed. The pickups are limited on speed but I consider 55 highway speed. You can run is quicker. Many folks run theirs at or slightly above 60. If you plan the latter, consider a new harmonic balancer, they do shift with age and can compromise crankshaft integrity. Oh, there were CUCVs made in 87. Post up info from the DATA plate or post up the VIN.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how to tell. I only recognized it as a military vehicle when I saw the standard lift point plate that all military vehicles have. When the truck was put up for auction, they removed a significant amount of equipment. Some because it obviously Forest Service related , others because someone was remove happy. They took the horn, the wiper fluid reservoir, and lots of stuff I can't identify.

The plate if I recall said it was a CUCV. That is where I picked up on the term. I am in my office and the truck is in the lot but I will check it when I leave work. The truck I drove in the Army was a Gamma Goat which was completely different! :)
Can you post a picture of the truck? Of the dataplate on the drivers dooor jamb? If you can't post a picture how about the Make and Model listed on the dataplate. Is it a Dodge or Chevy? Pickup or Blazer? Single rear wheel or Dual?

Here is a website that has some info on the various CUCVs that the military used. Drill down for more info.

DODGE AND CHEVROLET CUCV

91W350

It has 4.56 gears and probably should not be run over 55 for an extended period. They are a great vehicle, economical and pretty tough. You have a Dana 60 front axle and a 14 bolt corporate rear axle with a Detroit Locker in the rear. I have a 1987 M1008 and we have been to Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Wyoming, Iowa and all over Kansas in it. It is a very solid truck, fairly capable off road with just a decent set of tires. The 6.2 is arguably the weak point and the best part of the truck. The engines do not make a huge amount of power and rpm is their enemy. On the positive side, they are cheap to buy parts for, very economical and very smooth. If you want to go fast, I also have a set of M1009 axles that I would be glad to trade for yours, like 1984 M1009 offered. Since he beat me to it, I will have to let him take up the offer. The M1028 originally had a limited slip front differential where the M1008 has a regular open differential. Glen

Attachments

ABN173

That is until I heard from someone on another site that I shouldn't be driving it at highway speeds.

It has the original three speed transmission and 6.2L diesel. As I said above, it was suggested that I shouldn't drive it at highway speeds because the transmission was pushing the motor too hard.
Ok here is the skinny, I drive my '86 M1008 daily and at highway speed (55-60) often. The deal is that M1008's (and M1028's) were meant to be a work horse thus meant to tow and haul more gear. The M1009's were meant to be Command and Control vehicles and were geared to run faster.

It really depends on your definition of "highway speeds" if your right foot is heavy and you want to run 75+ mph then no your M1028 would not hold up for long, however if you can handle cruising at 55-65 it will do just fine.

-Dale

Last edited:

HogHunter

Sorry for being such a newb but I didn't buy the truck for it's off road capability or it military history. It was cheap and diesel. In fact when I got it the guy who sold it sold it as a Forest Service truck not a military truck. It is painted black over the green and it shows. I got it mainly to be a daily driver and to run vegetable oil as a fuel. I like being able to go off road but I do so rarely. Ironically within a week of having the truck I got into a situation where I needed 4WD and was very impressed with the way it handled itself. But as I said that is very rare.

So to the point my reply. I really don't appreciate the information you have given me. I kind of know what a limited slip differential is. I do not know what an open one is. And obviously I don't know why one is better ore worse.

You say the truck should be driven for extended periods at speeds above 55. My commute is 12 miles and most of it is highway. That means generally 65-70 MPH. Unlike Sammy Hagar, I can drive 55 but I hate to.

Finally, what is the advantage to the axles I have versus the axles you have? And are you serious about a swap? If so, how would we do it? Since I am driving the truck for daily transportation, I couldn't have the axles off awaiting replacements. I imagine I could change them over a weekend with the assistance of a friend who is much more knowledgeable than I am. I suppose I could ask him to explain what you said as well. He makes fun of my having 4WD vehicles because he says 4WD only let's you get stuck further out and causes you to use more gas getting there.

HogHunter

Ok here is the skinny, I drive my '86 M1008 daily and at highway speed (55-60) often. The deal is that M1008's (and M1028's) were meant to be a work horse thus meant to tow and haul more gear. The M1009's were meant to be Command and Control vehicles and were geared to run faster.

It really depends on your definition of "highway speeds" if your right foot is heavy and you want to run 75+ mph then no your M1028 would not hold up for long, however if you can handle cruising at 55-65 it will do just fine.

-Dale
Dale,

Thanks for the input. It makes sense now I think. I guess the question is can I keep my foot off the pedal. I do like the truck. It is like a tank and I get ton s of comments and compliments even though it is rough.

ABN173

HH,

Your axels are better keep them. 12 miles @ 65 is fine. I have driven hundreds coming back from field sites or rally events, I have even pushed it to 70 but not for long. Your truck should serve you well as is, if you want to modify it later to better suit your needs that option is always there. For me at least I would drive it as is then when/if something major goes wrong you upgrade then. BTW Welcome to Steel Soldiers, This is a great site where everyone tries to help one another. There are countless threads detailing all the great deeds members do for one another and society in general.

Don't worry about being new, I'd recommend though that you browse the "resources" tab and look at the TM's (page 8 or 9 I think for the CUCV's) they are like shop manuals for your truck and the best part is they are FREE:mrgreen:

-Dale

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

If you bought the truck for a daily driver and will drive on the highway daily at speeds over 55 this truck is not a truck you want. it is not a high speed truck will drive that fast but will not live long at all they were built for work and offroad not a daily highway driver. Not trying to be rude but this is not the truck you want. will self distruck at highway speed over 55. Sorry2cents

ABN173

If you bought the truck for a daily driver and will drive on the highway daily at speeds over 55 this truck is not a truck you want. it is not a high speed truck will drive that fast but will not live long at all they were built for work and offroad not a daily highway driver. Not trying to be rude but this is not the truck you want. will self distruck at highway speed over 55. Sorry2cents
I can tell you for a fact it will not "self-destruct" as soon as you go over 55. I have owned both a M1009 and a M1008 (and the M1008 is my daily driver for past two years) I also drove both in the army including Desert Storm. Now if your dogging it out with 65+ plus speeds then yes your asking for trouble. In fact I took my truck on the highway daily for over a year (until the Striker brigades got back from their deployment, now I-5 is too crowded) Average speed I traveled at was 60 mph which is the speed limit up here.

-Dale

Last edited:

Phily

55MPH is overrated. Yes.

Frontal Area x Coefficient of Drag x (Speed)3

Equals the amount of power you need for a given road speed.

More power = more fuel.

I'm in the process of trying to aquire a CUCV, however I have owned mulitiple Cummins powered trucks. Both could get 30MPG with the speed kept down*. I'm looking forward to owning a CUCV for many reasons, one being the MPG potential these trucks have.

* 40MPH area.

rnd-motorsports

Not saying it will self-destruct if you go over 55 just that it will not take it very long a 1009 has higher gears it will live but a 1008 ,1028 ect.with 4:56 gears will not. not for very long he is asking if his truck is a good daily driver for 65 , 70 mph And answering his question yes they are great trucks but not for driving as is on the high way at highway speeds dailly. Sorry Not the type of truck for his need He asked thats my thought I love my 1028 daily driver but not for the highway!