• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my M101A2/3 stock?

SgtVeXX

So I purchased an M101A2/3 but the plate on the trailer says it's an M116A3, while the plate on the tub says M101A2. The inspection dates and serial numbers match though (inspected 1992) serial number in mid 100's.

Is this something that could have been put together this way or sombody's after military hack job? Is this something fairly common or somewhat rare?

Any info greatly appriciated.uploadfromtaptalk1428261990211.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428262005833.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428261500927.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428261508757.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428261529195.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M116A3 is simply the chassis number. All M101A3 trailers were built on M116A3 chassis. In your case you have an A2 body on the A3 chassis. Inside measurement between the fenderwells is 45" on yours, the A3 is 55".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original? Unlikely. Rebuilt? Possibly. Unit assembled? Almost certainly. As far as SN, they are held on with simple rivets.

Oh, the rack? That's an "after military hack job" as you phrased it.

Last edited:

SgtVeXX

Original? Unlikely. Rebuilt? Possibly. Unit assembled? Almost certainly. As far as SN, they are held on with simple rivets.

Oh, the rack? That's an "after military hack job" as you phrased it.
Yea I knew the rack was definately an after military thing...along with the terrible paint job. The rack will be coming out; doesn't fit with my needs for the trailer. Thank you for the quick responses!

I've got a lot of work to do on this thing. First off, figure out why the surge brakes jerk me forward and backward when I get down to low speeds...wish me luck!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a guess, but that rack looks substantial, and may have been built to carry sheets of drywall or plywood above other building supplies.

With one sheet of plywood as a floor on the rack, you could also have a 2-compartment storage trailer for camping or traveling.

Take the rack out if you want, but I wouldn't throw it away.

With the A3 axles, you could also add HMMWV tires to adjust the trailer height up if needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see racks like that more often on the expo trailer builds. Since your trailer has the A2 bed, plywood won't fit between the fenderwells. If this could be an issue, that rack might be the answer. If the rack needs to go, I'm sure it could be sold easily. I'd like to see more of it with the top off. Member harleyhouse (Mark) would be an excellent source of information on this as he builds his trailers for a specific purpose.

SgtVeXX

I defiantly plan on keeping the rack. I just need to modify the mounting system to mount it above the bed. I'd like to put a roll up tonneau cover on it and have the rack mounted above it using the pocket holes (not sure what they're called) on the side of the trailer where I could remove/re-install it easily.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks