• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is my tranny shot ?

DC9Driver

New GP 1097A2 was delivered this week and it will only drive in L. Checked all the fluids they are fine , It tries to move in H and HL but doesn’t
I think I know the answer……..but hoping for a miracle.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New GP 1097A2 was delivered this week and it will only drive in L. Checked all the fluids they are fine , It tries to move in H and HL but doesn’t
I think I know the answer……..but hoping for a miracle.
Are you talking transmission or transfer case? Tranny has a low BUT only xfer case has HL and H and L.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what the OP is saying is the transmission is slipping to the point it will only move the vehicle in low range because of the ratio it makes it easier to move the vehicle, does not sound good, what does the trans fluid look like bright shinny red?
As others have said inspect all the half shafts etc, but even with a bad half shaft it will pull in HL as well as L
If all that checks out then it is time to drop the pan and see what the sediment looks like.

DC9Driver

Checked the transmission fluid with it running after driving back and forth in the driveway.
It was low so I added a quart. No change
Fluid looks ok (nice red color) on the dipstick doesn’t look burnt
@Mogman you are correct it only moves in Low range on the transfer case handle
H or HL it acts like it wants to move but nothing

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me I would drop the pan with the intention of changing the fluid and filter, try not to disturb the sediment in the bottom of the pan so I could inspect it and I would pull the fill plug on the transfer case to see if it was over full if not done already, if it is over full it probably has a bad cooling loop in the T/C and if over full I would change all the fluids in the gear hubs and differential right away, actually I would change all the fluids anyway just cuz.
You never said if it was still low or not after the quart, a quart low can damage a transmission if run long like that, there is quite a bit of fluid in the transmission but most of it is in circulation during operation and not really that much in the pan.

DC9Driver

If it were me I would drop the pan with the intention of changing the fluid and filter, try not to disturb the sediment in the bottom of the pan so I could inspect it and I would pull the fill plug on the transfer case to see if it was over full if not done already, if it is over full it probably has a bad cooling loop in the T/C and if over full I would change all the fluids in the gear hubs and differential right away, actually I would change all the fluids anyway just cuz.
You never said if it was still low or not after the quart, a quart low can damage a transmission if run long like that, there is quite a bit of fluid in the transmission but most of it is in circulation during operation and not really that much in the pan.
After I added the quart of fluid it stabilized just below the hash marks on the dipstick when I checked it while running. Definitely going to change all the fluids and filters regardless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks