• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is Sh. 40 PVC ok for remote brake res?

joeinaforest

I saw someone used a piece of schedule 40 for a remote brake resevor....any news, will that work long term?

As a noob...you guys have me freaked out about brakes and I feel the need to check level EVERY TIME before I move 13.5k down the road, but mine is just as hard as everyone elses to check, wow, what a PITA!!!

If nobody tells me differently, I'll just use a small piece of Schedule 40 with a vent I can turn off and pressurize for ez bleeding (thanks for the idea guys!)

Thanks,

Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sch 40 pvc will be fine. If you coulf find a translucent piece it would be even better, fluid level at a glance. Make sure that you get all of the saw shavins out before putting it in service.

joeinaforest

Thanks Recovry4x4, I'll invent something and then post up some pics when I'm done. I'm waiting for my insurance paperwork, then off to the BMV to get "legal".

I'm nothing special....human nature is me. I know there is no way I'll check the brake fluid like I should if its hard....and its STUPID hard now, LOL.

Not to be a jag, (it seems that everyone gets bent, if you answer with any info other than original question requested) but there have been a lot of solutions to the remote reservoir issue posted in the past. Some were very creative and most were rather cheap.
I agree with the info above, but wanted to give you the option of not reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Nonotagain

While not as cheap as a piece of schedule 40 PVC, a lot of imported vehicles have a single reservoir for the brakes that is translucent. The added benifit is that most of them also have a level indicator which turns on signal when low on fluid.

Otherwise any HDPE container will work for the remote reservoir application.

hdmax

Pretty much any material that will hold up to the Dot 5 brake fluid will work, as there is no pressure in the system at that point. You just want to make it as user friendly as possible so you will check the fluid more (Much more!) often than most do with the current setup.

Rustygears

Doesn't PVC crack and become brittle (crumble) over time when exposed to brake fluid? Polyethylene may hold up better. I think that's what the auto reservoirs might use.

Jake0147

I have a two plus year old schedule 40 reservoir. No signs of issues as of yet. Pipe thread taps worked just fine for leak proof fluid connections. I have one STRONG suggestion. I wanted three things. I wanted an extra half of a gallon of fluid to pump through the system to get "that one last stop". I wanted easy access for daily checking. I wanted zero tools access. I got two out of the three... Here's my tip. Get a cap that slides over the top and call it a day. The PVC threaded caps "stick" and require a wrench (or channel locks) to open, and the top of the threads collect dirt and dust. You have to plumb in an open vent anyhow, if the regular cap is slid over the top and it has a miniscule amount of leaking... Woo hoo, you just plumbed (or just plain drilled) a open vent anyhow. You're golden. Hindsight is 20/20.

Another tip- Plumb your gravity line to the master so that it's a couple inches above the bottom. Water (condensation) and accidental dirt collect there, and do not feed on to the master and therefore do not ground the truck. They can then be removed during the next periodic maintenance when your hands are grubby anyhow.

3dAngus

I would not use PVC for anything on a MV. It becomes brittle with cold, and has a life of about two years when exposed to the elements or weather. PVC is only good if well buried.

Don't do it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks