• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is Steelsoldiers a club?

ABN173

I and others im sure would say its a great Forum that helps people in the past , going downhill now But I hope it turns around. Alot/Tons of useless new thread lately.
I wouldnt call it a club by any means so I say good Forum that is a nice tool to have with your MV. -Jay

My two cents;

I am relatively a newbie myself, I only recently bought my first MV back in December of 2008 and my first GL purchase in March. I have met several really great guys through SS some in person such as Papabear in Columbus, the Washington clan: Wsucougarx, AaronW, SRODOCKER, 5_Ton_Tomatoe, even guys that help start the site like Mike(Mangus) have helped me with problems online and Doghead too. There are way to many friends have chatted with online to mention. I am not a mechanic so I am learning a lot from reading threads here from guys such as yourself Jay, and Westech. This site is wonderful so I have no idea what you mean when you say its going downhill? Was it better before? As far as useless threads go some are meant to be just conversation threads or humor threads like your http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/38803-hot-chicks-mv.html or my http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/33770-unofficial-use-only.html thread, I guess some people might call those useless threads too. I'm really not getting where you are coming from. Steel Soldiers has become a part of my life in fact.

Dale

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

Mabey more like a gang? LOL
A gang is a group of people (thats us) who, through the organization, formation, and establishment of an assemblage (kinda like this forum and the Rallys that we gather at), share a common identity (lovers of MV'S). Also, it is three or more who join, act in consort, find a gang name (STEELSOLDIERS), find a gang territory (pretty much across the globe LOL), commit criminal acts for the further enhancement of antisocial behavior According to some HOA's anyway). LMAO
Welcome aboard fellow newbie!
Jody

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't worry about the naysayers, guys. Most are a little disgruntled because of some personal things that have gone on in the past. SS is certainly not going downhill. If anything, we fall a little off of our pace sometimes, but then start picking up speed again. That tends to happen with FREE sites that are run by VOLUNTEERS.

Mike, the Mods, and I are all working tirelessly behind the scenes to create new features, improve the function of some current features, and to better organize some areas of the forum.

We have also began an era of cooperation with the MVPA, which is good PR for both of our organizations and allows us to share a wealth of MV knowledge from both the WW2 and the M-series collectors.

Is it a club? Sure, by some definitions. It started out as an informational website about all MV's, but once a forum was added, it blossomed into a full-blown MV community. There are not formally organized chapters of SS, but there are a lot of informal ones. There are groups of guys that get together for monthly meetings, yearly rallies, drive-ins, etc... If you want to start a group in your area, make a post and organize something. This site is what you make of it.

If you like what we are doing here, show your support with a donation. If you don't, then become part of the solution, not the problem. Volunteer as a moderator, lead a local group, whatever. Just do something besides gripe.

Last edited by a moderator:

ida34

I vote for you as the grand pooh ba of the entire state of Michigan! I would like the Sarg of arms garden gnome position.
Alright buddy, your in.

One thing. A lot of posts lately have turned to one person answering up to another post they did not like. Now I am doing it too with this post but I propose that we all let a little go. The whole search thing usually starts it. A new person posts the question then someone yells search to them. I really do hate to see the amount of thread counts going up that do not interest me, but do not feel we need to jump on all the new guys about the search feature. Maybe we should have a mandatory sticky that explains the search function and the auto search when starting a new thread. I propose the sticky must be read before a new member can post.

More to the point, let things go. If someone posts something you do not agree with our like just let it go. If not then this site will end up like so many others that have allowed the arguments to be the main focus of the site. I would rather keep SS true to its roots. People helping people.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I am putting on my Olive Drab bandanna and CARC 383 arm band on now.. Keep it real people! Let it go people! Just love more.. just love...:wink:
Hey ida do I get a baton? or maybe a M2 on a pedestal?:-D Now keep it down in here! GO! you have 3 minutes..:evil:

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call it a club. It's informal but I do feel I'm part of something being here :-D.

As far as the useless threads go, If you think they are useless just skip over them. Seems to me that sometimes I come here that there won't be many threads that interest me but that doesn't mean somebody else won't enjoy reading it. I don't feel like I'm in a position to deem which threads are "useless" and which ones aren't.

As far as searching goes, I've bought a couple of machine tools and want to learn how to do some machine work. I know almost nothing about machining so I checked out some of the forums. I was scared to post some of my newbie questions for fear of getting chastised for not searching. Problem was I really didn't know what search terms to use and when I did it would direct me to threads that they were talking over my head. I can understand how newbies get frustrated when they ask a question and are just told "go search".

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote for you as the grand pooh ba of the entire state of Michigan! I would like the Sarg of arms garden gnome position.

Is it the "Grand Pooh Ba" or the "Sarg Of Arms Garden Gnome" that comes up with the SECRET HANDSHAKE??

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is a great club made up of individuals who will go out of their way to help. Everytime I have had a truck issue I could post a thread and get answers in minutes. There were offers of parts and people who would come and help. Then we go beyond club to the chapter level. In Maryland we have a great bunch of guys who do shop days, swap parts, help on repairs and recoveries. (We have had one deserter who went to Atlanta, and he is missed. He will recieve a pardon, should he wish to come back and rejoin his comrades.) I went to Aberdeen for my first time and you will see what a great club this is. I would have never met such fine individuals as John Tennis, Bruce, Ian or Crazyguy Frank, had I not joined this site.

ida34

I am putting on my Olive Drab bandanna and Olive band arm band now.. Keep it real people! Let it go people! Just love more.. just love...:wink:
Hey ida do I get a baton? or maybe a M2 on a pedestal?:-D Now keep it down in here! GO! you have 3 minutes..:evil:
How about my taser? My son Ty and I were checking out the recoiless rifles at the Evansville show. Maybe that would work.

ida34

Is it the "Grand Pooh Ba" or the "Sarg Of Arms Garden Gnome" that comes up with the SECRET HANDSHAKE??
I already have the secret handshake figured out. It will be making a "C" with the left hand to mimic the action of putting the service drive headlights on while unlocking the lock lever with the same hand.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already have the secret handshake figured out. It will be making a "C" with the left hand to mimic the action of putting the service drive headlights on while unlocking the lock lever with the same hand.

I like it, it's appropriate!

cbvet

As a Vietnam Veteran, I sometimes take offense at some of the things I read of on here. And I respond harshly.
And I know, I can be a grouchy old bastard at times.
But I'm not going to change at this point, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
I get over it.
I like almost everything about this site, & thank Chris & the moderators for a great job.

Broke Down

As a Vietnam Veteran, I sometimes take offense at some of the things I read of on here. And I respond harshly.
And I know, I can be a grouchy old bastard at times.
But I'm not going to change at this point, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
I get over it.
I like almost everything about this site, & thank Chris & the moderators for a great job.
i think you may have earned the right to be grumpy and blunt. i love this site as well. great group of guys on here and i have learned a lot from the past few days i have been here. thanks to all the guys that have served and all the guys that put in the hard work to preserve this kind of stuff. [thumbzup]

citizensoldier

Now this I like !
A deuce J pipe for the peace ceremony?
Now for a flag..hmmmmm.. and a slogan? ... Hmmmmm
" happiness is a big carbon footprint "
" Do it in a Army truck just follow the TM "
" if it aint green it aint worth a bean" sorry air force and navy guys..
I know.. I know... I am crazy..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This is a great club made up of individuals who will go out of their way to help. Everytime I have had a truck issue I could post a thread and get answers in minutes. There were offers of parts and people who would come and help. Then we go beyond club to the chapter level. In Maryland we have a great bunch of guys who do shop days, swap parts, help on repairs and recoveries. (We have had one deserter who went to Atlanta, and he is missed. He will recieve a pardon, should he wish to come back and rejoin his comrades.) I went to Aberdeen for my first time and you will see what a great club this is. I would have never met such fine individuals as John Tennis, Bruce, Ian or Crazyguy Frank, had I not joined this site.

I had to come south, job and the fact great grand daddy was in the 14th NC. Hey, at least I'm coming back for Gilbert. Probably be there for Aberdeen and maybe even the NJ Show.

YES this is a club. I refer to it as a military vehicle collectors club at work since that's how I explain the fact you all brain washed me and got me from a CUCV into a deuce. I never had any intention of buying one until I joined this outfit. LOL. Now look at me...3 CUCVs, 2 M101's, a deuce, a 105, and a 1061 trailer. When will it end.

I guess that proves this is actually a cult.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks