• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a bench test for N3135 dual voltage 200amp regulator

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up what looks like a solid used N3135 dual voltage regulator for 200 amp dual alternator unit. Bargain basement price $150. I couldn’t resist, but does it work???

Is there a bench test for it? The rig is in California and the regulator is in NYC. I’d like to check the unit before sending it out.

Also, before I go digging, anyone know off the top of their head what screw size secures the unit to the alternator? Otherwise I’ll check the TM.

Thanks

T

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way you are going to be able to tell if it actually works is to bolt it up and test it on the alternator.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way you are going to be able to tell if it actually works is to bolt it up and test it on the alternator.
I have a spare alternator and I have high power drills. I guess I will use them for a bench test.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It only takes a few minutes to swap one out, surly you guys know someone local that has a 200A HMMWV.
I would be happy to test them, but of course there would be shipping involved.

badger_610889

For this type of tests I have a 3/4hp (110v) motor with a skateboard wheel, and another 2.5hp (240v) motor with a heavy rubber cart wheel on it. I bolt one on the workbench, securely lock an alternator in the vise (using mounting bolts on a thick plate) and from there I can test them at 5-6 thousands RPM and use an old PWM light variator for the smaller motor so I can modulate the speed easily.

For large alternators and other smoothly spinning things where I need to test with some load I use mostly the large motor with the cart wheel. It was a pool skimmer motor bought on surpluscenter.com for about $80 and has been very convenient!
It leaves some rubber on the pulley which sometimes is a dog to clean, other than that it works great.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For this type of tests I have a 3/4hp (110v) motor with a skateboard wheel, and another 2.5hp (240v) motor with a heavy rubber cart wheel on it. I bolt one on the workbench, securely lock an alternator in the vise (using mounting bolts on a thick plate) and from there I can test them at 5-6 thousands RPM and use an old PWM light variator for the smaller motor so I can modulate the speed easily.

For large alternators and other smoothly spinning things where I need to test with some load I use mostly the large motor with the cart wheel. It was a pool skimmer motor bought on surpluscenter.com for about $80 and has been very convenient!
It leaves some rubber on the pulley which sometimes is a dog to clean, other than that it works great.
Love to see a pic of this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks