• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a cable for VIC-1 to PRC-77?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a cable to connect the VIC-1 intercom to a PRC-77 or other radios with 'new series' U-228 type connectors?

I'd like to connect the VIC-1 in my Unimog radio truck to a PRC-174 HF radio and to a PRC-77.

Maybe I'll have to fabricate a cable but would prefer an original, if ever made.

Thanks,

Bob

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently there is no such cable.

Another related question: Any knowledge of the VIC-1 being used with any newer radio with the new series (U-229 type) plugs?

thanks

Bob

Boatcarpenter

One possibility?
When the PRC-25 or PRC-77 is installed on the AM-2060 Audio Amplifier/Power Supply which is on the MT-1029 Mount the combination can be connected to the VIC-1 system just like if an RT-524 or RT-246 was on the MT-1029 Mount. The AM-2060 handles the interface to the VIC-1 system and the radio can also be used in retransmissin systems. For non vehicle mounted PRC-25 or PRC-77 retransmission systems the Mk-456 Retrans Kit is used.

Sorry for the blue, it was already blue where I copied it from.
Credit to PRC-68, Brooke Clark, for the information.
BC

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info, Thanks!

Looks like I need to make a special cable because my setup does not have the AM-2060, MT-1029, or either of those radios LOL. But the MK-456 retrans kit looks interesting.

The mount in use here is the MT-3823/GRC, and has no extra connectors so no direct connection to the VIC-1 was intended.

(PS- I like blue)

tnx agn

Bob

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
its possible (really its just audio and a key circuit), but your biggest issue / concern will be to isolate the PRC77 from the VIC1 24 volt circuits. you will need to use the same circuit described here..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m37/68328-vic-1-m37.html

Im designing it to integrate with any radio... I have a couple PRC77, i think what i would do is to design a cable to interface this directly to the Audio Accessory Port on the PRC, then anything with the same military connection will interface...

The AM-2060 turns the PRC77 into a vehicle radion in the same mount as the RT524, so i would expect that to work...

this is an interesting idea...