• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a new led headlight for the cucv

Anubis8472

Just a note on silverstars and the like:

They are just set in the factory to burn brighter at the expense of bulb life. Not a big deal for the price but its the same thing that would happen if you turned up the voltage on a normal set.

I once had an awesome link to a writeup about all this stuff from a guy that designed the HID housings for visteon or one of the other OEM suppliers but I can't find it. But the gist is what was already mentioned - the HID bulbs really only work if they're put in a housing designed for them. The light source of the HID is geometrically different than that of a halogen so the light doesn't reflect properly. You really need a purpose built reflector if you don't want to be like those kids at the mall.

I found this site when researching a motorcycle project: The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Not as easy as a straight drop-in replacement but adds to the unique-factor. :beer:
I like that site.
You could even do something as simple as a fill plate bolted acrost the headlight dish with these lights in a center cut-out. Lots of possabilities.

cmroles

I have silver stars and love'em.
I installed Sylvania Silverstars in January and tested brightness before and after with a LUX-meter (measures brightness).

What I measured was 480lux on the standard Halogen bulbs and 650lux on the Silverstars. This was a true 35% increase in brightness.

They may have a slightly shorter lifespan (mine are still going strong after almost a year) but they are definitely brighter.

islandguydon

JW Speaker 7x6 LED Dual Beam Headlight
pricey for sure but look cool less draw and will work with both 12/24v
Thanks, I like the headlights on her/the site.At $1,200 a pair I guess I am going to have to start saving my pennies and by Spring hopefully the price comes down or someone might let a pair go on e-pay for less by then.

Thanks for the useful post...!

Attachments

762luver

I've been running silver stars in my jeep for over 2 years and have not seen any degridation in the light output. I switched over to those after burning up my headlight swith in the dash after installing an H3 conversion.

I HIGHLY reccomend if you go the H3 route you install a relay kit to drive the lights so you won't fry your allready aging wiring.

Remember KISS is not a bad thing!

Good luck with your upgrade!

tim292stro

I hate to doubt, but when they say "US made CREE" and "DOT Approved"...

Okay it's looking like a China import for $40 more than China direct, and a blatant knockoff of J.W. Speaker to boot.

Just so you know, "DOT" does not approve anything. They define a specification (usually by adopting an SAE standard, in this case SAE J2650), and the manufacturer testifies compliance by imprinting a DOT mark on the fixture (and it should have an SAE "HL" mark [for LED headlight] if it follows any true standard). Should they get audited, they have to prove they tested/verified the fixture (not sure anyone is going to get on a plane and try and hold a chinese manufacturer accountable).

There are actually other options out there from reputable vendors, the Truck-Lite second generation 5x7's are about the same price and Grote/Maxxima share a headlight in the same price range ($150 each).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks