• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a trick ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a trick to getting the pin pushed out of parking brake knob/handle ??? I tried to the point of afraid i will break something trying to drive it out ! Thinking of drilling a hole in bottom pad of C clamp and welding a pin to top pad and screwing it down to push it out but thought i would ask first !

ramdough

Is there a trick to getting the pin pushed out of parking brake knob/handle ??? I tried to the point of afraid i will break something trying to drive it out ! Thinking of drilling a hole in bottom pad of C clamp and welding a pin to top pad and screwing it down to push it out but thought i would ask first !
That should work .

I used a flat tip punch and tapped it out carefully…. Came out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

Its a hollow spring steel roll pin. You have to use a flat tipped punch/drift large enough to engage it all the way around the edge, but it should tap right out. If it wont move one way, tap from the other direction. You can squirt a little penetrating oil into the hollow pin to help loosen it up…

DO NOT USE A POINTED PUNCH. A pointed punch will actually expand/flare the pin and make it grip harder.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for replys i started out trying to drive it out with a flat correct sise punch thursday and was hitting it hard enough that i was afraid i was going to trash the whole valve assy ! Got back in there an hr ago and the 3rd strike it started out just fine i guess it wasnt having any part of working thursday !

So got it off and replaced the knob with a billet aluminum knob drove the pin back in and placed my home made heavy round padlock from harbour freight for 7 bucks and welded a sleve to the shackle and the paints drying now but it slips behind the billet knob so you cant push the parking brake in to release the brakes !
I know they make locks for this app but none that ive seen are anywhere as heavy duty and i like the $7 did it myself thing i will get a picture tomorrow so yall can make 1 yourself but you will have to either turn yourself a metal knob on a lathe or get one online i just happend to have one left over from the days when you trimed your dash out with all billet knobs and switches to make you dash sexy !!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for replys i started out trying to drive it out with a flat correct sise punch thursday and was hitting it hard enough that i was afraid i was going to trash the whole valve assy ! Got back in there an hr ago and the 3rd strike it started out just fine i guess it wasnt having any part of working thursday !

So got it off and replaced the knob with a billet aluminum knob drove the pin back in and placed my home made heavy round padlock from harbour freight for 7 bucks and welded a sleve to the shackle and the paints drying now but it slips behind the billet knob so you cant push the parking brake in to release the brakes !
I know they make locks for this app but none that ive seen are anywhere as heavy duty and i like the $7 did it myself thing i will get a picture tomorrow so yall can make 1 yourself but you will have to either turn yourself a metal knob on a lathe or get one online i just happend to have one left over from the days when you trimed your dash out with all billet knobs and switches to make you dash sexy !!
@chucky, when you’re done add a picture if you can. I would like to see it, May do the the same thing.
Thanks,
Tom.

ramdough

That should work .

I used a flat tip punch and tapped it out carefully…. Came out easily.

I just remembered. I threw away my old valve and replaced it with a new one. I had to rotate the knobs 90 degrees to have the text oriented correctly….. but, when I pushed the pins out to do so, they were new. That may explain why Chucky is having a harder time than me.

Third From Texas

Its a hollow spring steel roll pin. You have to use a flat tipped punch/drift large enough to engage it all the way around the edge, but it should tap right out. If it wont move one way, tap from the other direction. You can squirt a little penetrating oil into the hollow pin to help loosen it up…

DO NOT USE A POINTED PUNCH. A pointed punch will actually expand/flare the pin and make it grip harder.
Yeah, that was all I did when I popped new ones on. One slid right out and the other took a few small taps.

I put in new pins with the knobs.

coachgeo

Glad to see the Pin conversation.... but for different reason that hit on in here.

When folk switch their pull valves on their A0 to the dual unit like in the A1's they invariably cut out a square from the A0's face plate and plop the dual valve setup behind that. Never understood why folk did not remove the knobs and mount the new style behind the old face with the stems going thru the old holes. Most seemed to say they did it that way cause could not remove knobs via the pin. Maybe the dual version's knobs don't come off??? or the distance between stems is so different between A0's pair of single valves and dual valves of A1 it just made more sence to cut out square..... not sure.

At least know now it is possible to pop out pins...... so all remains now is does the holes in the A0 face plate line up with the dual valve or not..... or if the dual valves knobs dont come off. Intawesting.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see the Pin conversation.... but for different reason that hit on in here.

When folk switch their pull valves on their A0 to the dual unit like in the A1's they invariably cut out a square from the A0's face plate and plop the dual valve setup behind that. Never understood why folk did not remove the knobs and mount the new style behind the old face with the stems going thru the old holes. Most seemed to say they did it that way cause could not remove knobs via the pin. Maybe the dual version's knobs don't come off??? or the distance between stems is so different between A0's pair of single valves and dual valves of A1 it just made more sence to cut out square..... not sure.

At least know now it is possible to pop out pins...... so all remains now is does the holes in the A0 face plate line up with the dual valve or not..... or if the dual valves knobs dont come off. Intawesting.
The new style unscrew off the shaft you can tell them cause they dont have a in in the center just a few knotches at the bottom of the knob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks