• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a wrong position for the oil cooler lines?

jonstine

I replaced my oil cooler lines last weekend, and my starter went out the first day, so I didn't have much drive time with the oil cooler lines replaced. When I did replace them, I could not for the life of me discern which hose went to which location on the cooler connections at the radiator (upper or lower). I hooked them up and crossed my fingers, figuring that there's only one in and only one out, and as long as the oil cooler mechanism is doing what it's supposed to, it shouldn't matter.

Fast forward to today, finally got the truck running again after the new starter got installed (Powermaster 9052, in another thread). As I was looking at everything, I put my hands on the two oil cooler lines in the engine bay. Holy crap they were HOT! Like hot enough that I can't imagine them lasting very long, but maybe that's normal.

My question is this: Is there a right way and a wrong way to hook those up? If there's a correct way, can someone please explain (with pictures preferably) which way it is? I don't want to drive this thing until I am certain they're correct, because now I'm concerned that the oil is being heated even more somehow, or at least not being cooled down at all.

Thanks for the help.

bkwudzhom

Yes! There is a difference in the way they are bent. I recently replaced my oil cooler lines on my M1008 as well. I had read of so many problem with the aftermarket ones not fitting and weeping that I took the OEM lines to the local NAPA. They were able to cut the original crimp sleeve off and replaced the weeping OEM's with 3000 psi Hydro hose used on heavy equip. Shortly there after I noticed a leak and found that the top hard line had rubbed on the bottom of the master cly bracket and split the hard line. I ordered one from GM. It would not fit properly so I took a long nose die grinder with a coarse bit and encouraged the bracket to give up some space for the hard line. I then slid a scrap piece of heater hose on it just for good measure. Took about 5 mins.... after that installing the line was a snap.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks