• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is there an HID kit for the CUCV/H6054 lights?

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'm looking to upgrade my headlights. I got an HID kit for my GTO and am EXTREMELY happy with them. I'm wondering if there is a similar kit that would work with a CUCV? I'm not looking for that blue light ricey crap, just a VERY bright headlight. If there is no such thing as an HID kit, what are the brightest lamps that can replace the factory lamps in a CUCV?

CDN-CUCV

The headlights on a CUCV are one of the most common around. You can get a 7" 6052, 6002 H4 conversion from Bosch, Hella, etc and add the HID ballast kit to them. There are alot of cheaper chinese HID kits out there that I wouldn't recommend; it's the 'you get what you pay for' deal. There is also a company that produces projector style lights as well which are pretty cool. I run H4 PIAA Ultra-Whites and H3 Ultra-Whites in my driving lamps. They're really bright and they don't have that douchey-looking blue tinge to them either.

Here's the projector-style H4 lights.

http://mediciautowerks.com/catalog/images/85-94headlightBlack.jpg

Last edited:

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'm not looking for anything trendy in terms of appearance, I just want maximum light output. As it stands with the factory lights, I'm uncomfortable driving around at night in dark places. Driving out to my hunting spots this past winter I was downright terrified a deer or something would jump out in front of me and I wouldn't see it until it was too late.

CDN-CUCV

I'm not looking for anything trendy in terms of appearance, I just want maximum light output. As it stands with the factory lights, I'm uncomfortable driving around at night in dark places. Driving out to my hunting spots this past winter I was downright terrified a deer or something would jump out in front of me and I wouldn't see it until it was too late.
Then the Bosch or Hella H4 conversions would work well with the xenon PIAA bulbs. PIAA's are not cheap, but they're really bright and I've never had a problem with them, plus, the Bosch and Hella light conversions still retain a stock appearance.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LMC has high performance halogen sealed beams on page 68 - here's a link:

LMC Truck Parts - Page 68

LMC also has the European style with replacement bulbs on page 72 -

LMC Truck Parts - Page 72

The replacement halogen bulbs are on page 74, and the heavy duty wiring harness is on page 70. I plan to upgrade the headlights in my M1028 as soon as my ship comes in. I plan to use the European style and keep extra bulbs in my spare parts kit.

Hope this helps.

hovenga67

The one I have I got off ebay. They were like 28 plus shipping. They are not hid but they are clear euro style glass replacments with h4 bulbs. The light from these is way better than the stock lights.
Brent

Johnn Bravo

I do a lot of night driving (8-10 hours a day) and once I get the headlamp size figured out, putting Hella E-codes on my M1009 will be the first thing I add on this summer. I had a '09 Jeep and the headlights totally sucked on that, how I drove it at night I have no idea. What I did was get Hella E-code headlamps and an upgraded harness and you wouldn't believe the difference it made.
The main factor in why these lights work so good is because the light is focused much better and the cut off is much better too keeping the light on the road where you need it, because the cutoff is so sharp you can aim the lights higher too without blinding anyone. Even without upgrading the bulb wattage from 60/55w the E-codes will do you good.
Now I should say that it was 7" round headlamps and I did have an upgraded wiring harness to run the lights on, but if you got an upgraded harness and the rectangular E-code headlamps I think you could expect close to the same as with the round headlamps. I think this is the type you'd be looking at Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product that place also has kits,but not sure if it's the same lamp.

Edit, if you look at that kit from Susquehanna, you can get 100/80w bulbs.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

The LMC lights aren't great but they are better than stock. I'd go with a PIAA or Hella light if you were really after max brightness.
The LMC light harness is worth the $30 though. I have their harness and it is pretty good. I got one for each of my trucks but was only able to put it on The Blazer before I moved. Eager to do Big Ugly's this summer. That alone made the stock lights noticeably brighter.

tourus

lights

my 2cents is go to your locol heavey duty truck store who sells grote brand lights buy there h4 converson for the 6054 lights about $ 40 .oo . I did with mine love it even with the stock bulds they were great but then I found napa sells wangner bulbs 100 watt low 130 high love them have had 2 years run them all the time never even blowen a bulb yet no wire upgrade no fus no mus just put in and go youd love them and not to much coin well no I think about it about 63.00 each but well worth it.

swyne

I run the 6000K hid kit in my 06 Ford f350. H13 size bulb. Unbelievable light it throws.
You can buy the headlight that will except a bulb and you can purchase the HID kit for around $60 shipped. Not sure what the headlights will cost. The HID kit only uses 35 watts were the factory is 55 low beam and 65 high beam. Also if you have ever been in a vehicle with HID'S anything that is reflective will stand out like a turd in a punch bowl. Mailbox stickers, road reflectors, animals eyes etc. 10 times over standard bulbs. Take note that you can purchase HID'Ss with a high and a low beams. I went with just the low beam. They are bright enough for me. Also note when purchasing (if you do) HID'S that the color chart works as follows. With 6000k being the whitest (in color) the lower the number from there the light gets yellow.When you go up, 8000K will be bluish, 9000K to 10,000K will get blue to purple and 12000K is purple. I'm running my 4th year on my HID'S. I even thought about putting a set in my Chevette diesel. It in facts takes the same headlight as the CUCV. But I'm thinking of selling it so I wait for now.

Napoleon_Tanerite

I run the 6000K hid kit in my 06 Ford f350. H13 size bulb. Unbelievable light it throws.
You can buy the headlight that will except a bulb and you can purchase the HID kit for around $60 shipped. Not sure what the headlights will cost. The HID kit only uses 35 watts were the factory is 55 low beam and 65 high beam. Also if you have ever been in a vehicle with HID'S anything that is reflective will stand out like a turd in a punch bowl. Mailbox stickers, road reflectors, animals eyes etc. 10 times over standard bulbs. Take note that you can purchase HID'Ss with a high and a low beams. I went with just the low beam. They are bright enough for me. Also note when purchasing (if you do) HID'S that the color chart works as follows. With 6000k being the whitest (in color) the lower the number from there the light gets yellow.When you go up, 8000K will be bluish, 9000K to 10,000K will get blue to purple and 12000K is purple. I'm running my 4th year on my HID'S. I even thought about putting a set in my Chevette diesel. It in facts takes the same headlight as the CUCV. But I'm thinking of selling it so I wait for now.
Ya, I'm looking for incandescent bulbs for the high beams and HID for the lows. HIDs do NOT like momentary on such as flashing your brights. As for color, I'll probably go with 6000k. I've got 6000k in my GTO and it looks great, and have 3000k for the fogs.

Stihl029

I am running the Hella's E-Code housings H4 Bulbs with stock harness and WOW. We get alot of dark here in AK in the winter months and yeah these things are the ticket.