• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there any armor protection on the M939 Series Trucks?

TRADELAW

Hello all:

We have a client that is looking to export some of these vehicles. In order to confirm if we need to request an export license we need to know if these vehicles have level III ballistic protection. Our research indicates that they don't have any ballistic protection at all and much less level III protection.

I would appreciate any feedback on this topic.

Thank you.

JC Moreno

TRADELAW

They dont come with any protection. When they were used in the middle east an armored shell was placed over the cab area.
Wow, thanks for the lighting fast response. Would you happen to know if there is any literature out there that states that these vehicles did not have any protection? I have the technical manual for the series and the MIL SPEC, it does not mention that there is any protection but it doesn't say that it doesn't have it either so it's not conclusive from a legal perspective. Any suggestions on where to find a reference that specifically states that there is no protection?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No sorry I havent see any documentation that references protection levels on these trucks. Maybe someone else knows something. I have several of these trucks the body is just normal thickness sheet metal that you would find on most trucks.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are a few that have gotten out with armor. It is real easy to tell, mainly the 4" thick glass923ar1.jpg923ar4.jpgarmor 012.jpg first ones were bolt on the second phase or later ones the entire cab was replaced with an armored cab939armor.jpg939armor2.jpg ArmorWork.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on how/where you plan to purchase these trucks, there may be export restrictions.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not rely on a forum for this type of info.

If your client is purchasing and exporting them, what is your role?

Where does your client plan to purchase these trucks from?

TRADELAW

I would not rely on a forum for this type of info.

If your client is purchasing and exporting them, what is your role?

Where does your client plan to purchase these trucks from?
I have the MILSPEC, Technical Manual, and made some calls. I found this forum, read a few posts and decided to try, I immediately received confirmation. Your comment makes it seem as if you know something, so if you do, do you mind sharing?

Thanks for your help.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For the most part the US government does not sell armored vehicles to the general public. Occasionally something slips out but that is the exception rather than the rule.
Does your client want cargo, tractor, wrecker or other versions.
There are several members here that already have export licenses so you might just act as a broker to save the time and paperwork involved in getting one.
PM me for details.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hence the reason for the question...

Our client is purchasing 70+ of these and will be exporting them out to the Philippines.
My best advice is stop fishing here and go to the Feds for the real story. They are the ones with the go/no go authority.

Anything you read on here won't do you any good when you try to export stuff.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My best advice is stop fishing here and go to the Feds for the real story. They are the ones with the go/no go authority.

As the site admin, I can't agree with this statement enough! You need to talk to the feds about this. This isn't as simple as it being armored/not armored as you think.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wow it is true we are all full of s..t, I did not know that till now :) I am going to stay at a Holiday Inn tonight.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, you may have noticed how sharp I was at the Ga rally. I had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express just prior.

Looks like PB has been to one recently as well.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Obviously, PB is smarter than he looks...

Sorry PB, I could not resist.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Obviously, PB is smarter than he looks...Sorry PB, I could not resist.
No I'm not and I can prove it.!!

I just go thru so much government red tape every year trying to do the right thing and getting contradicting answers from the government agencies that are SUPPOSED to know what they are talking about...but don't.
Then you add in the "Forum Lawyers" comments/opinions and you have...well...our government at work.

I saved myself over a thousand dollars two weeks ago by researching the "Official Code of Georgia" before engaging in a transaction with the DMVS in Atlanta with a new truck.
The lady at the window understood the code one way, I understood it another way. After asking to see her supervisor and showing the supervisor the code section...I won.

My point for the OP was just to say...don't ask for what we on here think is right, research on your own and get YOUR understanding of rules/requirements...then contact the "Final Answer" folks and compare notes.