• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there any interest in a cummins Allison swap

SuperiorRam

Figured I gauge interest here there's a ad in the classifieds but am just wondering if there is interest in a deal like that I'm not tring to sell here not tring to cause problems mods just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Who's interested in someday transplanting a 5.9 and Allison 545 into your deuce

Nonotagain

Figured I gauge interest here there's a ad in the classifieds but am just wondering if there is interest in a deal like that I'm not tring to sell here not tring to cause problems mods just wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Who's interested in someday transplanting a 5.9 and Allison 545 into your deuce
The 5.9 Cummins would be a very good swap. All the power you ever wanted/needed. Lower cost parts, and an easy hook-up.

The Allison 545 wouldn't be since it lacks an overdrive gear which limits the top speed to around 53 mph with stock 9.00x20 tires.

The M35A3 with stock singles tops out at about 58 mph, mostly due to the 2600 rpm redline of the Cat 3116 and the Allison 545 automatic.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's lots of interest. The problem is to get people to pay what it's going to cost. Alot of people would like this setup but very few will be willing to pay what it cost.

Most deuce owners are cheap (me included :wink:) and it's hard to get them to pay twice or more for a engine and trans upgrade than they did for the whole truck.

SixSpeed

Banned
I think a lot of people would be interested in the basic parts. Mounts/Adapters etc.

I would probably concentrate more on the actual motor swap then the transmission. Could offer the parts needed to adapt a stock tranny, NV4500, some OD Auto...

SuperiorRam

i would think the auto would be sweet
here are the ratios

Range Ratios:
First...................................3.45:1
Second..................................2.25:1
Third...................................1.41:1
Fourth..................................1.00:1
Reverse.................................5.02:1

Dieselsmoke

I do 5.9 conversions in deuces about 4 times a year. There's people out there with money willing to pay the price, but they are few and far between. IMO, one of the best things you can do to a deuce!
I haven't done it to my own trucks, because I have plenty of multfuels hanging around, if I blow one up-who cares LOL

shannondeese

I was putting together a Cummins 12 valve with an Allison RDS2500 6 speed with overdrive and a custom T-case that had under, 1-1, and overdrive in it for the Deuce. But after the dust settled I had a Cummins and a T-case but no trans. So now it's sitting in my F350 with a built 727 as my trans. Now I just need more time to get it finished.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got through re-motoring Casa Azul with a 6B and went with an Allison MT-653 ( 5 speed with locked-out 8:1 first gear) because it is strictly mechanical. Granted you don't get the overdrive gears, But if you modify the IP with 3200 rpm governor springs and a #10 throttle plate, you'll be going PLENTY fast.

A couple of points about the "electronic" Allisons

Their software is proprietary...So expect to REALLY gouged by the authorized Allison shops. Also EXPECT THEM TO LIE TO YOU TO increase your bill however they can!!!!

The overdrive gears are "locked-out" on the MD3070 (in the FMTV's) in several situations like towing & when the CTIS has the tires at lower pressures.

On the other hand, several truck shops have mechanical Allison re-building shops and a re-MFG'd MT-653 will cost you less then $2k. A healthy "take-out" much less than that.

I'm told that a 545 is too light weight for off-road 4x4 application in a medium-heavy duty truck.

jesusgatos

I was putting together a Cummins 12 valve with an Allison RDS2500 6 speed with overdrive and a custom T-case that had under, 1-1, and overdrive in it for the Deuce. But after the dust settled I had a Cummins and a T-case but no trans. So now it's sitting in my F350 with a built 727 as my trans. Now I just need more time to get it finished.
Tell us more about this transfercase, hmmm?

nofearnohope

One of the main reasons I bought my deuce was the multifuel and ability to run anything in it. Wouldn't want a 5.9 unless I blew the current motor and had no other choice to get it running.

jesusgatos

I just bought a new LDS for Mah Deuce, but I came REALLY close to swapping-in a 6BT. The multifuel capability was a big part of it, but sometimes I wonder what I'm really gaining? I mean, really just the ability to burn gasoline, right? Cummins can be made to burn WMO/WVO just fine, and in all likelihood, those will be the fuels I burn most often.

hklvette

I just bought a new LDS for Mah Deuce, but I came REALLY close to swapping-in a 6BT. The multifuel capability was a big part of it, but sometimes I wonder what I'm really gaining? I mean, really just the ability to burn gasoline, right? Cummins can be made to burn WMO/WVO just fine, and in all likelihood, those will be the fuels I burn most often.
in my limited experience, the MF engine can put up with quite a bit of water in the fuel too, especially if there's some gasoline + ethanol in the tank. Try that with a cummins :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks