• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there "suppose" to be water in my M101A2 cover?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No theres not supposed to be but they do usually hold water. Sometimes you'll see a lengthwise small board running down the center of the bows that the unit installed but that doesn't work all the time either.

yellowrubicon

Yes, a worthless thread without a pic, but I am not talking about the top, above the bows, I am talking about the bottom section on the side at each corner. There is about a pint of water (give or take) in each corner. Hard to believe that each corner "accidently" got the same amount of in-leakage. Anyone have a TM for a M101A2 cover?

Here is a picture of the passenger side of the trailer, near the front, at the bottom edge. There is a noticable bulge where the water is collecting in the pocket. It appears that each corner is ultrasonically welded so water infiltration is unlikely.

Tech manual link anyone?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HUH! I guess they engineered a way to get extra weight to help hold the top down in adverse weather.

emr

Yea those tops were designed to hold water, funny though most of us think they were designed to repell water, NOT SO!!!!!!!!!! My covers hold water sooo well when rolled up off the truck too, this design feature is one that the Military really excelled at... :lost::beer: I think it may be human error to be honest in the way they are put on your truck. not an actuall design to hold water, but Hey.... A properly secured top does repell all water, many units over the years have either like said above put a board or 2, but much more prevalent was a row of ply wood down the middle of the bows, for snow load more than anyother reason, as it has been done in southern climates, in the northern ones it is much more in use, It only makes sense that a top that is equal in lenght and width and folded the same on all sides would hold the same amount of water, i would have guessed that, But like i said , it is the way u folded them. Good luck !!!..Oh and even though we see what U are talking about, it is thought ful to mention the top bows that have had guys do things to them to repell water, but also again , a properly secured top will have no problem unless it is sticky snow.

Last edited:

50shooter

I've got water in one corner only on a M105 top. It is in the rear right corner. I'm guessing 2 pints. I really doubt it is suppose to be there. Guessing it is condensation that has accumulated. It freezes hard as a board in the winter so it isn't glycol. Poked the corner w/a pin but it plugs instantly.

deucebigalo

i have the same in my covers, but I believe it comes in from where the stitching for the straps at the top. I pulled my cover off to try to get the water out and the only place it comes out is from that stitching!

emr

interesting , design flaw , but made for some good ol" silly comments, hope ya'll didnt mind to much...:beer:... There is stuff U can put on stiching and other stuff to make it water proof, I would try good o'l silicone boot spray first...

number9

My Deuce tarp had prob 1/2 gallon of water in the left rear corner. I used an awl to poke a drain hole right in the bottom so it'd drain out. Took forever.

yellowrubicon

Well, thanks for all the comments. I am going to leave it "as is, where is". It does help hold the top down and I will spring the "the government did that on purpose" excuse on the next unsuspecting gawker. Good for a silent laugh!!! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks