• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this 6.5 a lost cause?

royg

I'm wrenching on a 2003 M1123 which sat at Yermo without an air horn.

I pulled the intake which was more full of sand then I thought possible. I'm now thinking that although the unit had a hood in the auction pics, govplanet did that and it must've sat for years with the intake exposed and the hood sitting in the bed. Obvious now, but not something I thought of when buying.

After blowing the sand out of the heads , I scoped the top of the intake valves(see pics)

For you guys with more experience, this engine done? What would you do/try or is it already a lost cause?

Do I soak the valves with some sort of magic mystery concoction?

Pull the injectors and have a peek at the cylinders? 1 or 2 must have been open and the cylinders are trashed right?

The oil in it is pristine. Clear like it's never been run. I think the drivetrain was replaced in 2006 then immediately parked. Someone tried to revive it latter on, failed, then left it wide-open to the elements.

IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0013.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0016.JPG

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really bad deal. The cylinders with the open valves will probably look just like the intake.. I would scope the cylinders and see what you got. I don’t have any personal experience with your issue. If it was mine I would ask others here like you did and I would probably fill the cylinders with diesel or marvel mystery oil and let it sit. I would fill the intake runners with diesel. I have had some experience with boat engines that sunk and they will fill it with diesel after draining it and they call it pickled. I did some research when I was buying an offshore boat that was flooded.
Maybe pull the heads off and clean it up after you scope it and see if it’s worth it.
Edit! Is this yours or are you fixing it for someone else? I would say it’s done and replace it if it was someone else’s

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at my post. My truck also sat for years after rebuild. Replaced IP and started and suddenly a exhaust valve got stuck open and destroyed a cylinder turning the block garbage. If i were you i would rebuild or buy another running motor knowing now how it is inside. Good luck whichever way you go.

royg

It hasn't been cranked over by me but who knows if the govplanet guys tried. I'll see what the cylinders look like.

You guys are bringing me back to reality it's most likely toast.

Don't really have anything to loose but time messing with it.

I'm unlikely to put the dollars into rebuilding this engine vs. finding another. For the money it might even push me to attempt an LS swap. I have a couple of other HMMWV and I like the diesels, but a gasser with a far lighter engine/double the HP both increase the fun factor...

maybe even the rig is now parts and my M998 gets the overdrive transmission.

You take your chances with the non-runners. I noticed the missing air horn on the auction but completely mis-interpreted how bad that was.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do to try to turn the engine... a engine in this condition need to be ripped apart and inspected.
As MaxJeep wrote.. the cylinders with the open intake valve must have sand in too.
The chance to destroy the engine is very high i you not tear apart the whole thing bevor. And it will not makes anything better if you not Immediatly destroy it. You have to open the engine as well.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure most of the valves are frozen as well as the piston rings. Be cheaper to replace the whole motor with a good used one over rebuilding what you have. Damn shame.

Mark

springer1981

I would not put the time into rebuilding it and I put a lot of time into stuff like that. If you have a few hundred hours and about as much money as it costs to buy a replacement, you could rebuild it. That said, in third world and poor countries some guy with a butter knife and can of WD-40 would have that running in a few days.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do to try to turn the engine... a engine in this condition need to be ripped apart and inspected.
As MaxJeep wrote.. the cylinders with the open intake valve must have sand in too.
The chance to destroy the engine is very high i you not tear apart the whole thing bevor. And it will not makes anything better if you not Immediatly destroy it. You have to open the engine as well.

I'm sure most of the valves are frozen as well as the piston rings. Be cheaper to replace the whole motor with a good used one over rebuilding what you have. Damn shame.

Mark
Sometimes the most educational thing is to rip apart the engine and look at what’s inside. Maybe you can salvage, but most likely cheaper to buy a new one. Either way, you can save parts and see what’s inside and what failed. It’s free and you lose nothing.

I’ve saved worse engines BUT they had collector value. Still, a little Naval Jelly and a little Marvel Mystery Oil and you might find she slides open and is worthwhile to fix.

Worst case scenario, you will now maybe have spare “core” heads and “core” IP and such.

Last edited:

royg

Well she's confirmed junk.

I could see the rust and water line diagonally across the glow plug for #6 when i pulled it out. In hindsight, that probably would have been just as good a diagnosis without all the hassle of the intake, injection lines, head removal. The corrosion is deep. I didn't do the other head but I imagine a cylinder on the other side is just as bad.

Guess I'm on the hunt for another 6.5 or guilt free to consider a swap.

PXL_20220422_002255855.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well she's confirmed junk.

I could see the rust and water line diagonally across the glow plug for #6 when i pulled it out. In hindsight, that probably would have been just as good a diagnosis without all the hassle of the intake, injection lines, head removal. The corrosion is deep. I didn't do the other head but I imagine a cylinder on the other side is just as bad.

Guess I'm on the hunt for another 6.5 or guilt free to consider a swap.

View attachment 865495
Actually a competent machine shop can sleeve the pitted cylinders and you go on with life. I would only do this to a GEP engine however. My 6.2 looked like this a long long time ago and I sleeved several holes and it has been fine ever since. Might be cheaper than finding another engine and freight etc.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course the machineshop can do that. But all the bearings underneath will not look any better.
You mad a complete makeover from bottum to top.

Or lets say with monty python... this parrot is dead
:D