• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a good deal on a m923?

fastfreddy

I found a nice truck that says it has been military reconditioned and the add says the MWO from 8/06 was for a complete military recon so I just want to check with you guys before spending 18k thanks in advance.

The guy is really nice and this is a huge amount of money to me so I wanted to check with the pros before making this move and I have had bad experiences in the past so better safe than sorry they say.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
never heard of a MWO for a total recon, real rare, dont think so,

wehring

well

I had an M925 (M923 with winch) for sale on here for months @ $15,000.00 and it did not sell.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That MWO listed on the MWO tag is for adding ABS brakes.

https://premiernorth.com/m939/uploads/AMG%20ABS%20MWO%20Field%20Service,%2014%20Feb%2003.pdf

Whats a "full military recon"? I've never heard of such a thing in my US Army days. Rebuild, RESET, Depot Overhaul, yes.. Recon? Thats something we did when we wanted to go look at something..

If it did go thru a rebuild, there would be a data plate of some sort saying so. if it was rebuilt or RESET, it wouldnt be sent to DRMO/GL.

Also, it's not a USMC truck.. It came out of a US Army unit in Washington DC. CARNAC can verify that.

Also, I saw no mention of a title..

Also, depending on YOUR state's DMV laws, you may or may not need a CDL to drive it. What the seller does in HIS state may not apply to you if your in a different state.

In some states, air brakes = CDL. No if ands or buts. NY is one of them.
Also, will your insurance company cover a truck like that?

I'd hate to be in that truck when it gets a flat tire... It's missing a spare!!!!!

I'd be wary... Plus, I like trucks with winches. Winchless MV's cant even attempt self recovery.

Last edited:

R Racing

Thats Kevins, He lives near by and is a member of the SS Forum , It is a very clean truck on the outside. I have never seen its interior when over his place. He has a title because Its been tagged for a while in MD.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rules? Did you forget the rules? You could have asked about this a few ways, but the way you did it is against the rules.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
MWO=Modification Work Order......usually denotes a small modification such as the addition of seat belts (as in the M35A2 deuce), roll cage (as in the M151 Jeep) or other minor change or addition of kits (think heater or ether start kit).

A rebuild is when the vehicle is basically stripped and refurbished with a new or rebuilt engine/transmission/driveline and paint.

If, in fact it was rebuilt in 06, a lot can happen to a vehicle since then.

As President Ronald Reagan, once said "trust but verify".

Let the buyer beware.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastfreddy

I have a CDL and the truck was sent to me through a pm on here and he has been very honest and very willing to work with me but I just had to double check after losing 60k on my F350 I am gunshy so I just wanted to make sure everything looked right.

It's a clean maryland title registered historic and the add said it was completely reconditioned so I wanted to check the MWO.

My motor pool used to completely recondition trucks from time to time and they would go through the truck top to bottom front to back and repaint them after all the mechanical aspects were complete so the military does recondition trucks I just wanted to make sure everything was legit.

I feel bad for checking up on this truck since he has been awesome to deal with but I just can't take a huge hit right now like the 60k truck disaster.

Whitey

As, R Racing said, it is Kevin's, he's a known local around MD, and he really likes what he sells/plays with. All of the vehicles he's brought around, including the UH-1 Huey, were done up very nice. Get someone local to Annapolis to preview it if you would like.

fastfreddy

Sorry about he rules violation doghead it won't happen again and ignorance of the laws isn't an excuse sorry about that.

I have a bad case of military vehicle fever right now and am real close to pulling the trigger on this vehicle so I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up and get into deep trouble on it.

fastfreddy

Yes sir

MWO=Modification Work Order......usually denotes a small modification such as the addition of seat belts (as in the M35A2 deuce), roll cage (as in the M151 Jeep) or other minor change or addition of kits (think heater or ether start kit).

A rebuild is when the vehicle is basically stripped and refurbished with a new or rebuilt engine/transmission/driveline and paint.

If, in fact it was rebuilt in 06, a lot can happen to a vehicle since then.

As the greatest President we ever had, Ronald Reagan, once said "trust but verify".

Let the buyer beware.
Trust but verify are excellent words to live by and that 60k beating I took on my F350 makes me double check my moves a little better.

Bighurt

There is one with 20 hrs left on GL. I wouldn't trust the description on not running probably has no fuel or batteries. Of course that's another gamble...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MWO tag is for adding ABS brakes.. Google it.

How does the seller know it was rebuilt (or recon as he calls it)???

If Uncle rebuilt it, he would put a dataplate saying so on it..

The seller is 100% wrong on the USMC truck thing.. The registration # is a US Army #. The USMC uses a different type of #. What else could he be wrong about?

I've never seen a full motorpool rebuild of a vehicle.. Probably because it's not authorized at anything but the depot level. Im not saying it didnt ever happen, but it wasnt supposed to.

The whole thing just seems strange to me...

But what do I know..........................

Last edited:

fastfreddy

:)

looks nice. you know that my 923 w/w doesnt look as good as that one...but still i cant even get 14k for mine.
Yeah and you live 50 miles from me too derrick but I need something that is as complete as possible starting out as I know they will need work down the road but it is nice to start with the most complete unit as possible starting out.

I really want this truck and the seller seems like a great individual I just had to check with the people that have been doing this for a long time before spending that kind of money as I will only get one shot at getting this right.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand why you posted it here, and I understand trusting the forum members to give you valuable information and advise.

Perhaps this case is a perfect example why Moderators have, and should use some discretion in when and how the rules need to be enforced.

Good luck, it looks nice.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah and you live 50 miles from me too derrick but I need something that is as complete as possible starting out as I know they will need work down the road but it is nice to start with the most complete unit as possible starting out.

I really want this truck and the seller seems like a great individual I just had to check with the people that have been doing this for a long time before spending that kind of money as I will only get one shot at getting this right.

im not trying to lean you toword mine at all. the point was that i cant get 14k for mine, and someone else cant get 15k for theres. so his price may be a bit high. dont forget that the 939's are just begining to be released, so the prices of them will start to get cheaper. thats all i meant by it.

fastfreddy

Thank you

I understand why you posted it here, and I understand trusting the forum members to give you valuable information and advise.

Perhaps this case is a perfect example why Moderators have, and should use some discretion in when and how the rules need to be enforced.

Good luck, it looks nice.

I see your position where this could be used as a sales pitch or to get a fire started about a certain vehicle so thanks for taking this on discretionary basis as I am just making sure I can forgive myself if something was to go really bad after I purchase the vehicle but this way I feel like I did everything I could ahead of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks