• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a good deal?

riggermedic

My transmission went out in my M1010. I found one today from a local guy coming out of an M1008 that had 20,000 miles on it when it was last parked two or 3 years ago he wants 500 dollars for the set. Of course I have to remove it from the truck fortunately it is parked on a concrete slab in his backyard so my question is do I drop my bad transmission and transfer have it rebuilt and reinstall it or do I drop my bad transmission and transfer, drop his good transmission and transfer install his transmission and transfer and then have a core to rebuild? I do also own an M1009 in great condition so spare parts would be a great thing. Second question would be how high do I have to jack up the vehicle in order to clear the transmission and transfer once it's dropped to the ground on the transmission jack? I think I read somewhere the combo weighs about 350 pounds. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

fitz

If you are doing the R&R I think the $500 would just about cover the cost of getting your Turbo 400 rebuilt by a good shop. That used trans is still 30+ years old. Why not start out with a fresh rebuild?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are doing the R&R I think the $500 would just about cover the cost of getting your Turbo 400 rebuilt by a good shop. That used trans is still 30+ years old. Why not start out with a fresh rebuild?
I agree, why inherit someone else's problems. Besides if he is parting out a truck with 20,000 miles on it there most be a lot wrong with it. The other thought would be to give him $500 for the whole truck for parts,

cucvrus

DSCF2477.jpgDSCF2476.jpgIMHO used engines and transmissions in a 30 year old vehicle are a waste of time and money to reinstall into something else you want to drive. I sell them as cores anymore. Do it right the first time and move on. I just had a perfect running engine. 40K miles. Still would run perfect. But look at the steel head gaskets. I am glad I removed the heads. I could have easily reinstalled it and still had a perfect running engine. For how long? Same as the transmission. Have it gone over at a reputable shop before you put anymore effort and expense into it. Or not and take the risk. I use reliable shops to get work done. you can call me a parts replacer if you like but I focus and specialize in the fine detail and reassembly of vehicles. I can do the dirt work also. but I let precision items up to guys that have the correct equipment to do so. No hacking going on here. I depend on my vehicles to last and still have value anytime I want to part with them.

m38inmaine

I swapped out my M1010 transmission in my driveway lying on a sheet of plywood and I did not have to jack up the truck at all, proud to say I did it all by myself, getting the transmission flopped on to the trans jack was tricky but job done.

Obijuank5

500 to me is a pulled price. If I were you I'd pull yours and send it to be rebuilt and reinstall. Then take this extra one home and learn how to rebuild it on your own time. Learn something new. It's surprisingly easy.

ralbelt

There is plenty of room, I pulled mine with the tires on the ground using a fork lift with 6 foot extensions. Soldier B was not available, operating Lift and manipulating trans assembly was good exercise.

Drock

Agree with the others, sounds like a $500.00 for the whole truck would be a more reasonable deal. My trans guy quoted me $600.00 to pull, rebuild, re-install my trans and have it done in a day.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Play hardball. Tell the guy you have $350 take it or leave it.

In any event, get the one in the truck rebuilt and drive that. If the seller agrees to $350, keep it as an emergency spare, use it for self-training and rebuild it yourself, get it rebuilt professionally and keep it as a spare, or keep it as a core for later.

If he says no, walk away.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm always a bit suspicious of these "low mileage" CUCVs, and would be especially so of one with a claimed 20k original miles being parted out.

I find they rejuvenate themselves over time (kinda Dr Who thing). For instance, I have an M1009 with only 12,000 miles on the clock. About 6 years ago, it had 98,000+ :whistle:

Cheers

cucvrus

View attachment 661813View attachment 661814IMHO used engines and transmissions in a 30 year old vehicle are a waste of time and money to reinstall into something else you want to drive. I sell them as cores anymore. Do it right the first time and move on. I just had a perfect running engine. 40K miles. Still would run perfect. But look at the steel head gaskets. I am glad I removed the heads. I could have easily reinstalled it and still had a perfect running engine. For how long? Same as the transmission. Have it gone over at a reputable shop before you put anymore effort and expense into it. Or not and take the risk. I use reliable shops to get work done. you can call me a parts replacer if you like but I focus and specialize in the fine detail and reassembly of vehicles. I can do the dirt work also. but I let precision items up to guys that have the correct equipment to do so. No hacking going on here. I depend on my vehicles to last and still have value anytime I want to part with them.
I just received a call from the machine shop that the heads I removed from the perfectly good running 45 K 6.2 are cracked between the valves at several spots. As I learn more about old engines I learned that mileage plays very little in the factor whether an engine is good or not. Had I sold this engine or one like it to someone. I would have more headaches then the deal would be worth. I just sold a 350 engine from a 1990 Chevy truck and the guy wanted it. I said drive it listen to it. It is what it is and it has no warranty. He bought it and I wished him luck. I dropped off another set of 6.2 heads today at the machine shop. That is just the way it goes with 30 year old iron. Never will I put another CUCV engine or any old engine in unless I remove the heads. No matter how low the mileage. I think the lower the mileage the more acidic the coolant that lays in the heads. That has been my observation. Others opinions may vary. It's a simple task to do it right the first time.

fitz

Agree with the others, sounds like a $500.00 for the whole truck would be a more reasonable deal. My trans guy quoted me $600.00 to pull, rebuild, re-install my trans and have it done in a day.
That sounds like a great deal.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The going rate around here for bench job rebuild (you pull it and reinstall it ) of a Turbo 400 is $250 + cost of a rebuilt convertor .

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
riggermedic: Rustystud is an amazing resource here. He knows a lot about rebuilding TH400's. He may be able to help you find a reputable transmission repair shop. Send him a PM and ask him what he thinks. :)

2deuce

I think $500 is too much for an unknown transmission even if it was already pulled. I would install a used one, if I knew it's history, but unless you need the practice replacing them I'd opt for a rebuilt one with a guarantee.

riggermedic

hey thanks for all the advise, I will just pull my own and rebuild, this $500 does include the transfercase as well, I am leaning toward picking it up anyway and maybe having a spare that I can learn how to rebuild on my own.

rustystud

hey thanks for all the advise, I will just pull my own and rebuild, this $500 does include the transfercase as well, I am leaning toward picking it up anyway and maybe having a spare that I can learn how to rebuild on my own.
Sorry I came to the party late but I've been a little sick lately. I agree that $500.00 for an "unknown" transmission is way to much. Maybe if it was a 4L80E I might think about it, but not for a TH400. Even though this "deal" included the transfer-case it still is bad as the NP208 TC is not worth that much. Now if it was the NP205 TC then the deal would start to look a lot better as the NP205 transfer-case carries a high premium. Still all in all your better off just rebuilding what you have. You "never" know what kind of abuse the "unknown" transmission and transfer-case have seen. It usually isn't worth the risk.
Case in point. I'm in the process of rebuilding three MultiFuel injection pumps I got as "complete" units from a guy who had them stored in his barn. The first one is in pretty good shape, and with a few bearings and such will make a good pump. The second one had a few more problems like a few holes punched into the case ! Might try and just weld it. The third was the real "Jewel" ! It had a broken "booster pump" shaft. The loose gear went and wrecked all kinds of damage inside the pump ! You could not see this damage from any external examination so you would have no way of knowing you had just wasted your money ( I had wasted my money ! ) . The same is true with transmissions, even more so in my opinion. People just assume the transmission just needs some fluid and all will be well, so they continue driving it all the while it is tearing itself apart inside ! Hope this helps with your decision.

cucvrus

The same is true with transmissions, even more so in my opinion. People just assume the transmission just needs some fluid and all will be well, so they continue driving it all the while it is tearing itself apart inside ! Hope this helps with your decision.

Rustystud you said exactly what I say to people. Buying and selling used automotive driveline components. I have put a new TH400 trans in my CUCV and had it fail in 6 months. It was in a sealed crate and it was brand new. Not rebuilt and it failed from dried seals. I removed it and had it gone over. It was not as expensive as a complete overhaul but it needed a seal kit put in it. I never run engines or transmissions till they won't go no more. It is not cost effective. Thank you for your insight. Waste of time changing any transmission that has not been looked at. Have a great weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks