• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a good deal?

Oldsouthernboy

My M1009 tranny has been needing some work, I broke down and put her in the shop. A small shop in my area, a one man shop is very clean and very well kept. For the sum of 800.00$ he removed, rebuilt, the transmission, replaced the torque converter with a heavy duty one, used all metal parts, no plastic pieces, replace a u joint I did not know was bad, Replaced all the transfer case seals, checked and replaced the plastic shift fork with a metal one then adjusted the shifting linkage, Stated that the transfer case showed no signs of use, no case rubbing from the chain drive, all gears showed no wear. This was in on monday and picked up at noon friday, Said he was sorry it took so long he had three others to do. Soon he will get my M1028 to refurbish the transfer case and do tranny service.

idM1028

I'd take it. I had Firestone quote me somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-$900 to do a coolant flush and replace my shocks. I did the coolant flush for the price of a couple of gallons. Haven't gotten around to the shocks, but the price for the shocks themselves would be less than $200. All I would need is a bunch of jackstands and a floor jack to do it my self.

jimmy-90

For out here where I live at that is a smokin deal!!! In order to get a deal on a rebuild like that out here I would have to take the trans out myself and take it to the shops and then put it back in myself. They call that a bench re-build. A few of my friends work at the hotrod shops out here and I would really have to get messin with them to get that kinda deal or they would have to owe me a favor or something.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's $500 just to do a bench rebuild on the transmission. $800 for all that is a steal.

Yeah i had a guy that did a civi tranny 700r4 rebuild i took him the truck and he took it out rebuilded it and put it back in and that cost me $900 so dude u got a good deal drive the truck and see how it is and if u are satisfied than take him some more business Guys like that deserve all the work they can handle seems like hes a really good rebuilder probably been doin awhile :)

tnttnt187

If that was parts and labor,:shock: I would at least bring him a 12 pack or his favorite bottle of booze when you drop your other truck off for service. I think that is more than a fair price if all work is done correct.

steved454

$950 to $1000 in the Jackson, Ms area. Like others have said, if it holds up you better treat him right!

hard to a find a good shop to work on old trucks, Do not even try to find someone to work on my 1931 ford! I spend alot of nights reading manuals just to keep it running.

Zero_cool

My tranny guy charged me $2,100.00 to pull out the 400 and install a 700r4 with t/c that he rebuilt...that was about 2 months ago and i am again bringing it back to him on tuesday so he can install the CORRECT 3-4 valve...
I think $800.00 is a great deal

hotdogs151a2

Mr. Oldsouthernboy:
Now that is what I call a great deal. You don't find good shops like that anymore.

Mr. idM1028:
You don't need jack stands or a floor jack to change out your shocks. Just unbolt the old shocks and install the new ones.
Thanks, Hotdog

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks