• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is this a M1008 Dana 60 front axle?

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan has one nearly perfect front axle (these photos) in a box in his garage. The one below it is almost the same, but appears to have more surface rust when peeking through the cracks in the shipping box. I would like to know if I am correct that these are both M1008 open front axles. Are these also termed Dana 60s?

What would be a good starting price on eBay?

Thanks,

Robert Alexander
Richmond, Virginia

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
That looks like a GM 10 bolt from/for a M1009, how many studs on the hub, 6 or 8? if its 6 its a GM 10 bolt, if it's 8 it could be a dana 60. Need pics of the diff cover.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is certainly a 10 bolt. It has balljoints. The data everyone provided is correct.

Croatan_Kid

It's a 10 bolt. :(

At first I thought it was a high pinion Dana 44, but they I saw that it was upside down and I realized it was a low pinion design. It could have also been a new style 60, they use ball joints.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, the advantage it has over all the other 3.08 geared 10 bolt front axles is that it's BRAND NEW. So for the cost of a rebuild kit for an old, rusty axle you can have a brand new axle assembly.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, there was a guy on here who just bought a 3.08 10 bolt rear axle about two weeks ago. Couldn't regear the front so he just bought the same thing in the rear.

rwb

I'm wanted to run the hmmwv wheels on my m1008 but you need spacers has anyone found a direct bolt on that fits over the dana60 instead of going the route of changing the hole hub over so you could us both style of rims

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm wanted to run the hmmwv wheels on my m1008 but you need spacers has anyone found a direct bolt on that fits over the dana60 instead of going the route of changing the hole hub over so you could us both style of rims
Use 2.5" or 3" thick 8 lug spacers or Dually hubs/spacers.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I have seen 10 bolts that have had 8 lug hubs put on them. You can make them fit. I have no idea why someone would do such silly things such as that. After all of these years... I just quit wondering.(it was giving me gray hair & keeping me up at night... I hada quit it) My kid runs dually axels ( both pairs of dana 60s & 60S & 14 bolt pairs.) in his mud trucks. Very tough axels while allowing you to run huge tires in a extremely high h.p. truck while abusing the snot outa it.:driver: John

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the reason most folks will switch a 10 bolt to 8 lug is to match a rear that has been transplanted, likely after a 10 bolt rear gave up the ghost. Bigger diameter rotors offer some increased braking as well. I remember when I was an avid off roader with no budget to afford a 60F.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eh, the advantage it has over all the other 3.08 geared 10 bolt front axles is that it's BRAND NEW. So for the cost of a rebuild kit for an old, rusty axle you can have a brand new axle assembly.
How do you know it's new? If I bought new axles I'd put the old ones in the shipping box for storage.

Chaski

Ethan has one nearly perfect front axle (these photos) in a box in his garage. The one below it is almost the same, but appears to have more surface rust when peeking through the cracks in the shipping box. I would like to know if I am correct that these are both M1008 open front axles. Are these also termed Dana 60s?

What would be a good starting price on eBay?

Thanks,

Robert Alexander
Richmond, Virginia
If that 10 bolt is clean on the inside and does not have any surface rust on the gears I'd guess that it could fetch $250-$450 at auction. If it has rust inside I'd guess $75-$150 selling locally because it wouldn't be worth shipping it.

If that was a Dana 60 you would be sitting on gold. A clean NOS kingpin Dana 60 could probably fetch $1700-$2200 at auction, and even if it had rusty gears it would be an easy $900.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen 10 bolts that have had 8 lug hubs put on them. You can make them fit. I have no idea why someone would do such silly things such as that. ...........................
'cause that's just what they did at the factory. I have a 3/4 ton 8 lug 10 bolt front that had 6 lug hubs put on to use 6 lug wheels, the 14bolt semi floater rear, that took a lathe & a mill for that 8 to 6 lug conversion.

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

Yes.. I understand that they did this at G.M. factory. I was a layout inspector at G.M. Flint assy. from 1984 thru 1987. I worked hand in hand with the govt. inspectors for all of the cucvs that went down the line. (govt. insp.s had to be on the premises every time a cucv went down the line. witch was always) About every 8th or 10th job was a cucv on both the pickup line (line 2) & the suburban & blazer line (line 1) with the occasional forest service suburban (that fugly snot green color) or even fewer red suburbans for varios fire dept.s. Yep I saw a few. Just because some came down the line doesn't mean it was perfectly designed. Those trucks started rolling down that line in 1973, & were basically unchanged, save for a few cosmedic changes & less & less horsepower & more & more emission crap to satistfy the EPA thru the 1986 build year.( 13 consecutive years) I saw them with gmc trim one one side & chevy trim on the other side of the same truck many times. They were designed in the very late 60s & early 70s. That's over 45 years ago. By 1988 a 454 cu. in. bbc had about 100 less horsepower than a 2003 vintage 4.3 litre v-6. Hard to believe.... but look it up. ;) John

Last edited: