• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a M36?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd kind of like to have one just for the rarity but the fact is that I can overload my M35a2c fairly easy with the 12' bed.

What were the M36 trucks mainly used to haul? I can see being able to haul more troops but unless you're hauling styrofoam, it looks like you'd overload it pretty fast with cargo.

scooter01922

Wow blendmaster thats one heck of a portable tent you go there. A regular m35 is pretty roomy for impromptu camping expeditions but the m36 ****.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What were the M36 trucks mainly used to haul? I can see being able to haul more troops but unless you're hauling styrofoam, it looks like you'd overload it pretty fast with cargo.
This information taken from David Doyle's book, Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles - 2nd Edition: The M36 was an extended bed (and frame) version of the M35 cargo truck. They did not have troop seats but the side racks resembled the troop seat models. One version had special tie downs and racks to haul missiles. The curb side of the bed could be lowered to allow side loading of cargo. The M36's were equipped with the higher horsepower LDS engine (approx 200 HP).

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

Wow blendmaster thats one heck of a portable tent you go there. A regular m35 is pretty roomy for impromptu camping expeditions but the m36 ****.
Thanks Scooter, yeah it works great as a tent, my truck came with tall bows about a foot or so taller than most, so if you look you can see a vinyl skirt that my mom made for me which makes up the difference, Truck also works good as an improvised meeting spot out of the wind (it can get really windy at our desert meet spot for spring and fall) I have had a small BBQ running and camp stove on a table with several people sitting around inside with all my gear, the extra length is great!

I'd kind of like to have one just for the rarity but the fact is that I can overload my M35a2c fairly easy with the 12' bed.

m16ty, from what I have read it was designed to haul the hawk missile system. Below is an image from the Operators Manual for the Hawk Missile System. And its rated payload like most the m35a2 class trucks is also 5,000 off road and 10,000 on road.

This information taken from David Doyle's book, Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles - 2nd Edition: The M36 was an extended bed (and frame) version of the M35 cargo truck. They did not have troop seats but the side racks resembled the troop seat models. One version had special tie downs and racks to haul missiles. The curb side of the bed could be lowered to allow side loading of cargo. The M36's were equipped with the higher horsepower LDS engine (approx 200 HP).
wreckerman893, my truck was rebuilt in 91 and does not have the LDS now, but has an ldt with the “D” turbo I don’t know if its turned up or what its stock from the government, but it did move pretty good at the unofficial SS dry lake drag race at the spring 2013 SoCal rally, I was asked if it was turned up LOL. Link to the 2013 Socal Rally thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103693-2013-SoCal-Spring-Rally&referrerid=19939 .

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M36 I bought from WM also had the LDT with "D" turbo, not the LDS. But it did have a fairly complete deep water fording kit on the bottom (and PTO), along with the paper clips on the front bumper.

Blendmaster2002

The M36 I bought from WM also had the LDT with "D" turbo, not the LDS. But it did have a fairly complete deep water fording kit on the bottom (and PTO), along with the paper clips on the front bumper.
Mine does not have any water fording equip., but does have a cab heater, no pto equip. and still has its paperclips too.

Attachments

jasonjc

I don't know about the LDS. Mine has a LDT "C". One would think that they would haul troops but it does not have troop seats. Just side racks. A lot of the ones I've seen have one slat on the pass missing, when folded down the missing slat makes for a step. Mine is a ww but the winch was missing, I got a new winch but now I can't rember if it has a PTO or not crap!

Blendmaster2002

I don't know about the LDS. Mine has a LDT "C". One would think that they would haul troops but it does not have troop seats. Just side racks. A lot of the ones I've seen have one slat on the pass missing, when folded down the missing slat makes for a step. Mine is a ww but the winch was missing, I got a new winch but now I can't rember if it has a PTO or not crap!
I wondered why mine was missing a slat on the passenger side, I never thought about it being a step when the sides are dropped.

Below is a picture I saved a while back, from the internet with an M36 hauling troops in Vietnam.

“A scarce shot of a M36A2 - the extra-long wheelbase cargo version of the G-742 series, with winch. This truck was photographed in May 1970 at Can Tho Vietnam.”

Also below is a picture of SS member RangerDave's m36a2 outfitted as a log truck.

The last pics are just interesting pics I remembered seeing on the internet of a truck in an Israel museum I thought I would share.
Israel Keres AGM-78 Standard ARM launcher mounted on a 2 ½ ton chassis possibly an m36a2.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M36 was one of those GL "Oppsies" you hear about. I bought the truck out of Redstone and did not preview it. The posted pictures for the auction showed an M35. When I went to pick it up the GL guy said "It's what you bought, take it or leave it". I took it.

scooter01922

Well M16ty i guess that pic of "rangerdaves" truck above settles the overloading dispute, thats a LOT of logs on there. I knew he had a deuce log truck up here but never knew it was a m36 originally. Then again i don't think i have ever maxed out my truck with all the crap i can pile in the bed and its not like i haven't tried. Crushed asphalt is pretty heavy stuff and i had the bed full front to back to the top of the sides on both sides and humped up several feet higher in the center. Rode like a caddy with all that back there. Did use a few extra gears via split shifting to get going (all back roads, wouldn't try this much weight on the highway) Truck handled it very very well though. I need to get another load of that for the driveway shortly, i'll have to see what i scale in at this time.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was once loaded with concrete, bricks and mortar rubble all the way up the side walls and rounded a bit in the middle. When it came off the tailgate rose almost six inches, but I could tell no difference in handling either, and I was on a paved road. Having the Corolla in the back going home from the purchase only deflected the bed an inch at the tailgate (2600 pounds curb weight of the car).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks