• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this M43 worth anything?

jvrotter

I have had this M43 for probably 25+ years. In fact it was my first military vehicle. When I got it the previous owner had gutted the interior, taking out the front seats and removed everything in the back. I'm talking completely stripped. The person had also cut the roof to raise it for standing room. The engine isn't even original, its a Plymouth motor. When I got it, I didn't restore it per say but built it into a camper with my specs. I had to seal up the cut in the roof, insulate and line the back area, put down new flooring and some other things. I did add a ventilation system from another ambulance and had a PRC-10 and PRC-25 to the back so it was kinda a radio truck. The dash was the only thing the first owner left alone. I did also change out the tires to LAV ones. Anyway I hardly use it anymore as I have gotten other vehicles that are more user friendly. Also since I'm retired now and slightly disabled any thought of a total restoration is out of the question. Now I'm trying to par down my collection and would like to sell it but don't know if its worth the hassle. Any thoughts on this situation?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is in better shape than a couple I have owned. If you part with it, make sure it ends up in good hands!

jvrotter

Thanks for the input. Seems like it is worth it. I'll probably go ahead and fix the little things that need fixin'. Have a leak in the brake system and seal in the rear axle needs to be replaced.

zout

All I gotta tell ya is - if you don;t fix that one up something is wrong - buy it and bring it to me and I will fix it for you.

Check out the 43 I started with and where I am at now and mine was a gem when it was handed off to me. There is a thread I have going on the entire build.

Stan Leschert

Just fix it. That thing is way better than some of the projects that I've seen.
This isn't Barrett Jackson, where all of the numbers have to match!

Our crew like things that are original as possible, but unless you have a contract from a musem....

Put it back together, run it and have fun!

jvrotter

Good thing I'm retired. After I fix up the M43, I've got my 69 Road Runner to restore, not to mention the Toyota Land Cruiser and keeping the M35's goin'. Also have to build another rifle when my barrel comes in. And we can forget all the honey-do's. If I had to work, don't think I would have the time!!

waayfast

I think I have a pair of original seats for that rig. I got these at an estate auction (out of vehicle) but there were enough parts laying around (big red cross on pair of rear doors in close proximity) to lead me to believe these seats were from either a m725 Jeep or the M43 Dodge.

Plus after seeing interior pics of Oldfart and Ghostdriver ongoing build thread of their M43 I think thats what these are.

SO, these would be available if they are correct and you want them. I don't need these and would like them to go to whomever needs them rather than being junked.

This hopefully will not be construed to be a "stealth" classified but rather more data for you for deciding if you are going to tackle the project.

Since we are both out here in the west, getting them from where they once was to were they ought to be should be doable.

Jim

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks