• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is This One of Us? This Is Incredible to See

74M35A2

Is this a member here? This is just awesome to watch. Apology if already called out. At this level in the cab, you don't even need cup holders for a screw top 20oz bottle! Gives a new definition to liquid cooled - externally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzsJZQi1FnI

It was a video a lot like this that made me buy my first MV, a 1974 M35a2, hence the handle. Here is that exact video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-AxPUaotw

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Thing is..I watch these videos, and it always amazes me that "they" don't run over, or crash into submerged bikes, motorcycles, cars, and other obstacles. I never hear them voice any concerns at all..I would MOST certainly be concerned. The boundaries of the roads can not be discerned even..Or damage to or collapsed pave. just my 1 1/2 pence worth.

74M35A2

Hope he plugged his fan clutch off.
Fan likely won't actuate for submerged engine. Doubt engine would even be able to maintain thermostat 180F operating temp, let alone reach the 200F fan trip. On an M35a2 they recommend to loosen the fan belt for your concern, but only because it is direct drive in that case.

Looks like a blast, wish I was with them (on the outside of the cab like Mr Camera)...in his truck of course. The image of water just pouring through the open windshields keeps replaying in my head.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Only in the States! Only!! All my German friends just stand here before the screen and goggle like fish out of water! Just a couple of good old boys, helping out.

162tcat

i am sure wherever its parked now the drivelines are seizing up nicely
You old farts are no fun!! Both of my trucks were cheaper than a new ATV and are for work around the house and fun. I would drive my truck through that in a heartbeat! This is a hobby and like any other it costs money. Best case, lots of maintenance afterwards. Worst case, locked up engine. Either way tons of fun and quite possibly helping people out while doing it. You old farts enjoy looking at your truck parked in the shed with rodents chewing on the wiring. I'll be out driving mine and having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
re: maintenance
There are so many things that most people don't think about. That truck will never be the same. Gauges filled up with water, PCB filled up with water, blah, blah. It isn't just gearboxes to worry about

re: running over stuff
Ha, I always think the same thing.

re: snake
I didn't think of that and now I wish I hadn't. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see they did not have the cargo bed full of evacuees. But they did have children with no pfd's. The National Guard and governmental first responders were under strict orders not to perform these kinds of stunts. Call in a boat rather than risk evacuees' lives.

Gunzy

The engine is probably toast after that. Am I the only one to see the water coming out of the exhaust stack?

74M35A2

Engine should be fine. The water out the exhaust is normal for the situation. The entire exhaust is liquid cooled in this case, including the manifold, so it is condensing all of the moisture that is in the exhaust pipe, continuously. Exactly same as when you first start your car in the winter and water drips out the tailpipe. but in this case, the exhaust pipe never gets warm, it is held cold, so the amount of water vapor that drops back into liquid is much greater. Same as how a distillation column works. Cool the vapor, and it drops back into liquid. Totally normal, and expected. Combustion reaction of hydrocarbons (process of adding oxygen) produces a lot of water vapor. It typically leaves the tailpipe in vapor form if the entire length of the pipe stays hot/warm (can form water drops on your hand if hand held over the pipe outlet for a short time at idle to demonstrate).

74M35A2

My take on the video is that I would not do it to my truck, for all of the reasons that you all list, but it is amazing that our trucks are capable of it. Yes, probably ready to scrap after doing so, but it can and will do it if need be to perform the task assigned or to get soldiers back home. Not too much other equipment has that capability.

teletech

I wouldn't willingly do it to my truck unless lives were at stake.
Of course in those conditions of flooding there may be lives at stake. Just make sure the rescuers have a low probability of making the problem worse, after that you take your chances. Judgment, situation, and luck all conspire to make the difference between a heroic act and a stupid one.
Without being there, I'll withhold judgment about which one that swim was.
I will grant that they had an awesome time and that has real value in this life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks