• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is This One of Us? This Is Incredible to See

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine should be fine. The water out the exhaust is normal for the situation. The entire exhaust is liquid cooled in this case, including the manifold, so it is condensing all of the moisture that is in the exhaust pipe, continuously. Exactly same as when you first start your car in the winter and water drips out the tailpipe. but in this case, the exhaust pipe never gets warm, it is held cold, so the amount of water vapor that drops back into liquid is much greater. Same as how a distillation column works. Cool the vapor, and it drops back into liquid. Totally normal, and expected. Combustion reaction of hydrocarbons (process of adding oxygen) produces a lot of water vapor. It typically leaves the tailpipe in vapor form if the entire length of the pipe stays hot/warm (can form water drops on your hand if hand held over the pipe outlet for a short time at idle to demonstrate).
Or the piss-poor seal around the filter lid is letting water in...or one of the rubber elbows on the intake pipe is cracked or torn...or water is leaking through one of the flex pipes on the exhaust and just blowing back out...or...

I guess it all comes down to whether you look at the truck as being half empty or half full. :mrgreen:

162tcat

Or the piss-poor seal around the filter lid is letting water in...or one of the rubber elbows on the intake pipe is cracked or torn...or water is leaking through one of the flex pipes on the exhaust and just blowing back out...or...

I guess it all comes down to whether you look at the truck as being half empty or half full. :mrgreen:
If it was leaking on the intake you wouldn't see it coming out the exhaust because the truck would have already died or blown a head gasket or cracked head/piston or hydro locked or..... either way, water doesn't just pass through a running engine. Condensation or leaking exhaust, both harmless as long as it stays running. Now if it dies or gets turned off under water it would be a problem as no exhaust to keep pushing that water out. Still, looks like fun! Sign me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a saying in our line of business "there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots."

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was leaking on the intake you wouldn't see it coming out the exhaust because the truck would have already died or blown a head gasket or cracked head/piston or hydro locked or..... either way, water doesn't just pass through a running engine. Condensation or leaking exhaust, both harmless as long as it stays running. Now if it dies or gets turned off under water it would be a problem as no exhaust to keep pushing that water out. Still, looks like fun! Sign me up!
Engines can pass water and stay running...and even live a long life afterwards. Large amounts, well probably not. Smaller amounts, chances are pretty good. The mudbog crowd proves it every day. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, so they say...

162tcat

Engines can pass water and stay running...and even live a long life afterwards. Large amounts, well probably not. Smaller amounts, chances are pretty good. The mudbog crowd proves it every day. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, so they say...
Maybe with an old carb'd gas engine but unlikely with a high compression diesel. At least not the quantity that was coming from that stack. A fine, well balanced mist would probably make it but if it took even a small gulp she would be done.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe with an old carb'd gas engine but unlikely with a high compression diesel. At least not the quantity that was coming from that stack. A fine, well balanced mist would probably make it but if it took even a small gulp she would be done.
I won't continue to split hairs over the amount of water an engine can tolerate, especially since you continue to raise the amount we're talking about. You're now at gulps of water, which is way past what I stated in my original post.

While I don't condone pouring water into the intake, the video will suffice as proof of concept that a diesel can tolerate a considerable amount. That is far from a "fine, well balanced mist", but more along the lines of a leak like I originally stated. Given that the engine in the video is a tiny little thing, it stands to reason that a larger displacement engine would tolerate more due to more room in the cylinders. If you decide to pick fault with the video then there's plenty more of them. That was just the first one at the top of the search results.

In most of those videos you'll only see steam leave the exhaust. But in the video of the truck that 74M35A2 posted, the exhaust system is under water. As he thoughtfully pointed out, this causes a cooling effect that would turn steam back into a liquid.

Even though my original post was just to mess with 74M35A2 a bit, I still stand by it as a possible explanation for the water. Though a leaking exhaust system would also be a possibility, which I also mentioned.

https://youtu.be/HG4KJ5arQd4

Last edited:

74M35A2

Run a garden hose over your car exhaust pipe as it idles in the driveway, you'll see the same thing happen. You can ignore the chemical engineering degree, no problem.

red

As far as vehicles to be driven through deep water, these older trucks are designed to be one of the best at it. Minimal electronics, no water absorbing interior components, no computers, etc. Instructions for HOW to set them up for water fording as well.

If you're not willing to use your vehicle fine. Many (myself included) use these vehicles as they were designed to be used. Means more maintenance is necessary.

With flood situations and insurance. Submerged vehicles are considered totaled and driving your own vehicle into it is on your own risk. That's what my family was told during the flooding from tropical storm Allison, from what I hear it hasn't changed.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

How do you ever get the seat cushions to dry out?

Take them out and put them out in the sunshine.
;)

Also watching videos like these I notice nobody uses a radiator blind to protect the engine when fording/driving through high water.
Yes I know the engines are sealed but the same principals apply as we use in our 4x4 training.

Aussie.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
We used an old Citroen BX and a Toyota Landcruiser to help out after a flooding due to rain and too much canalized and narrowed run-off brooks. The biggest problem was to get the water across the remains of a flooded river with the roads out. To explain, the water had mostly receded leaving a mess, but total depth was around 10-20".

water 01.jpg

Part of my restoration efforts will be to make sure I can get through water in cases like this (but not to show off). I would say that without too much thought about the truck, in these cases I would go through about 20" (2/3 of max crossing height WITHOUT fording kit), after that I would start worry or back up and get out (or prepare better).

Unless your truck is very well prepared or you have to get the heck out of a danger situation, that's it.

Going into deeper water, you and your truck must be very well prepared and you should be bloody careful and know what you do, otherwise you can easily become the next stranded person somebody else has to save. One pot-hole you don't see and essential components get under water and stall you.

Csm Davis

Okay not wanting to step on some of you guys toes but the only non weatherproof thing I know of on these vehicles is the seats. Now if it has a bad seal all bets are off. He should be able to take a pressure washer to the inside and outside and be in pretty good shape then a couple gallons of WD-40 everywhere except for the seat cushions and they should be removed and allowed to dry. The gauges, black box, all of this stuff is built to be waterproof, doesn't mean that they all survive the swim but most will. The motor, transmission, transfer case, and axles can survive a lot of water in them as long as they stay cool and have some oil still in there too. But even these parts are very waterproof in STOCK form and really good with the water fording kit installed. Yes he needs to do a lot of maintenance after but most will be to if water got in, not to get water out because it was flowing in like a river.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CMPPhil

Freeze Drying Wet Stuff

Hi

Your question about drying out soft stuff like seats, books is by no means stupid. Actually it right on point for people who have been flooded out. Important books photos, documents, furniture, art, truck seats can be dried out. First step quickly freeze the objects then place in vacuum chamber and draw deep vacuum. This allows the water to be evaporated through sublimation without going through the liquid state again. Here is a web site with information https://www.nedcc.org/free-resource....12-freezing-and-drying-wet-books-and-records.

Look down under Vacuum Freeze Drying

Cheers Phil

teletech

I think it would be amusing to get one of those fancy imaging depth-sounders attached to the front bumper, that way one could drive through the deeps without worrying about submerged hazards.

162tcat

I think it would be amusing to get one of those fancy imaging depth-sounders attached to the front bumper, that way one could drive through the deeps without worrying about submerged hazards.
Now that's thinking lol! It'd probably work great but you would have to drive slow enough to allow for reaction time. Added bonus, it will show when your on the fish too!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks