• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this rack for radios?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the radio cables hanging all over the place, its a dead giveaway. Not sure what radio set was in there, but it was a larger set. I'd reckon the VRC-12 series of radios was in that mess, though, I can see the MX-7777 surge supressor to the left of the rack on the deck.

Don't toss it - there are guys who are MV users and ham radio operators who wouldn't mind having that!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent the link to Steve Haney. He usually knows what these odd things are for. The far end, I'd guess a grc106 migth fit there, except the vary computer-ish looking holes on the far side plate indicate that something else for sure was the inhabitant..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Is this rack for radios?

ONTOS66 said:
What sort of vehicle is it in? That can be one clue. Also, any data plates of any sort? I don't think it is the VRC-12 family. Could be something older, but need more "clues" to figure it out. Probably a "multi-band" radio (combination of radio sets) system. Here is an example of a similar type of rack. http://www.columbiaelectronics.com/multi_band_radio_sets.htm
Yes! Thats a GRC-206 multi-band radio setup there that you linked to. I have about half the components for that set, including the RT-524, both control boxes (including the remote control box), the switchboard, the antenna and the rack. The hard part will be finding the RT-1444 unit and the VRC-83 radio sets (2 are required to complete the set) since each of them run $5,500 retail. The COMSEC stuff is impossible to find, but perhaps I can create a fake dummy COMSEC unit to complete the set.

Please post more pics, Bruce. Also, if you can get some of the radio cable nomenclature off the cables, that would help a lot....

ONTOS66

AHHH HA!!! Yoiks! EUREKA!!

The answer is: (according to TM 11-7440-293-14) an installation for a "Variable Format Message Entry Device, AN/GSC-21."
It also refers to TACFIRE equipment and some other manuals that I don't have. So the radios were some combination involved in Tactical Fire Control.

However, I do have this TM available in .pdf which lists the names for most of the components in your photos. PM me if you'd like a copy emailed.

It pays to be a packrat!