• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this really a deuce clutch????

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Higher contact pressure with smaller surface means less slipping. I have a ceramic clutch similar to that going behind my BBC for the 725.

poppop

Those bronze puck clutches have more holding power than a regular clutch. We used them in our farm tractors for a while until we learned it was more expensive to resurface and replace flywheels than to replace the regular clutches. These will eat them up much faster than a regular clutch especially if the driver does not know how to properly use a clutch.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
is this all the friction there is?? this is a heck of a lot more than an organic disk, all that pressure is focused on 5 small spots. learn to engage clutch without slipping it and you will be fine.

beaubeau

M35Tom. I had replaced the clutch in my 84 KW900 with that type of clutch and I hated it!! It doesn't SLIP smoothly and makes the truck Jump when U release it. It might be OK for a really Low Geared thans. But I will never use one again!! Phil.

devilman96

Slip? ummm you put an organic in your deuce ya better like changing clutches.

That's the line between heavy truck and foofy wanna be.

Sailor hunt down a full circle 6 puck clutch. I have them listed in the store and their a good bit heavier.

sailor2000

I don't, at the moment anyway, need a clutch, thank heavens... and I am certainly going to treat the ones I have with much more respect from now on, I can tell you!!!!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that type is used in the trucks. We also have them in all of our farm tractors over 100 HP. They have a long life in our experience. We do not mind if they are a bit grabby on starting because we are of the opinion a slipping clutch under load is much more of a problem than the grabby take off at times. Once we get the trucks rolling, we shift without the clutch most of the time anyway.
Regards Marti

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
engaging the clutch is sort of a learned thing which involves letting it out so that it fully engages just a millisec before you apply any fuel. there should never be any 'slipping' of the clutch done. if you feel you need to slip it you are probably in to high a gear for the load. level ground no load, starting in 2nd should be easy.

tsmall07

sailor2000 said:
M543A2 said:
. Once we get the trucks rolling, we shift without the clutch most of the time anyway.
Huh???
Up shifting without the clutch is easy once you do it a few times, but shifting down is harder to learn. You have to match the speed of the trans and the speed of the engine exactly for it to work. Just don't ever force the shifter. That will cause damage. I've shifted without the clutch regularly in all of the 4 speed and 5 speed vehicles I've owned. I had to learn to do it when my f-150 developed a leaky slave cylinder. I had to start it in gear a couple times and shifted without the clutch to preserve what little hydraulic pressure there was in the thing...

ptg530C

That looks like the one that I just put in. They also use that style clutch in many high performance automotive applications. Check how much wear is acceptable.
It is amazing how little they wear before they must be replaced.

beaubeau

Anyone ever tried to" Not slip a clutch", with 65,000-70,000lbs in a trailer,Grossing 120,000 will find out what happens to the Drive Train beyond the Trans. There is a big difference between a Smooth Grabbing Clutch and one that Grabs or Sticks when released!I've got a1,000,000 and a2,000,000 mile Safe Driving award hanging on the wall, mostly driving TT in New England, I know when I have a Nasty Clutch!! 95% of Diesel trucks should be able to start off without any Acceloration,while releasing the clutch,unless the Low speed govenor doesen't work. This elliminates the need of SLIPPING a clutch!! Damn I miss driving the big Rigs, but I don't miss the Crazy's on the roads!!All this over a Clutch

people look at me as if i was crazy when they see i dont use a cluch to up shift in my jeep. i also had a 944 that i never used the clutch in but only to take of from first.and for big rigs i was taught to only use the clutch to get moving.

beaubeau

How many people know how to Split shift a Deuce? Split-shifting gives extra gears in between 1-5, and when pulling a hill with a good load on, it comes in handy when say 3rd is too hi and the engine is Screaming in 2nd,by shifting the transmission into 4th, and the Transfer into low, it gives you a gear inbetween 2nd and 3rd. Now the next gear selection will be transfer into Hi, and transmission into3rd. It takes a while to get a handle on it. Start shift in 2nd Lo, to 1st Hi, to 3rd Lo to 2nd Hi,to4th Lo to 3rd hi!!4th hi to5ft hi I started this with 5tons in 1968. Try it,ULL Like IT. Phil .

halftrack

Re: RE: Is this really a deuce clutch????

m-35tom said:
is this all the friction there is?? this is a heck of a lot more than an organic disk, all that pressure is focused on 5 small spots. learn to engage clutch without slipping it and you will be fine.

Friction force is not dependent on surface area but rather the coefficent of friction which is determined by the material properties. Hence, five small spots is adequate enough.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Is this really a deuce clutch????

Driving Kwai's M35 back from Georgia I happened to be in the truck when we got caught up in some construction/football game traffic in Alabama. I started playing with the t-case to transmission gear relationship. (What else can you do in a Duece stuck in traffic 600 miles from home?)

Once you play with it and figure out which lever gets moved when, it is a great way to seamlessly get up to speed in one of these trucks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Shoot Tim, football traffic isn't the place to play with gears, driving through the hills of Gatlinburg is. HAHAHAHAH we had some pizzed off people behind us on the way to Clinto's place.

pistolnut

One drawback to the ceramic "multi-puck" clutches is their use in 4wd vehicles in my opinion. If you are crawling or in a tight spot, it helps to have a clutch that you can slip a bit if you need to. The other type are great for road use and give great grip and long life. I have 100's of thousands of miles in big rigs too, and they are designed for the quicker grabbing clutch. The whole truck can absorb some of the shock when you release the clutch and get your 80,000lbs (or more) moving from a stop. Most drivers only clutch when pulling away from a stop anyway.

Barrman

Let me clarify a little Chris. COLLEGE football traffic. Think 20 some odd year old women dressed for an afternoon in the sun. There was plenty of reasons to slow down real slow or speed up real fast depending on how the girls on the vehilce next to me looked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks