• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this rust spot normal?

zeisshensoldt

On the m35a2 I purchased there's a large hole from rust in what the guy said was the "J-Pipe". Is this anything to be concerned about, is this an easy repair/replacement and is this a typical spot for rust?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is common. It comes from having the truck parked out in the rain for a LONG time without a can covering the exhaust stack to keep water out, over time the J-pipe rust out. It can be repaired by a muffler shop, or you will have to find a replacement J-pipe.

diesel soot and h20 water makes an acidic goo that will rust a pipe out quick ,if you park outsides as maddog said , get yourself a can and place on the pipe to prevent water from entering your exaust :shock: , now for the fix remoce the pipe ,easily as an assembly ,weld a patch , and enjoy your truck

goldneagle

Another solution once the pipe is repaired or replaced is to cut the top straight and put a flapper cap on it. you can get them at Napa for 3-1/2" pipe. It's not original equipment but i think it's easier in the long run so you don't have to remember to put the can on each time. Also if you forget to remove the can, the exhaust will do it for you but you never know what it's gonna hit when it comes down.

Lex_Ordo

I use a 3" rubber pipe cap, with a red Military Aircraft streamer "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT", attached to it. It has been well tested during Nor' Easters & Huricane Irene in 60+ mph winds and rain. It doesn't blow off and keeps the stack air tight. Unlike a can, it doesn't blow around making a clanging metal to metal noise and more importantly...no damage.
Plus if you forget to remove it before you start, the exhaust just blows the cap off to the ground.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I use a 3" rubber pipe cap, with a red Military Aircraft streamer "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT", attached to it. It has been well tested during Nor' Easters & Huricane Irene in 60+ mph winds and rain. It doesn't blow off and keeps the stack air tight. Unlike a can, it doesn't blow around making a clanging metal to metal noise and more importantly...no damage.
Plus if you forget to remove it before you start, the exhaust just blows the cap off to the ground.
a 64oz gatorade bottle with the top cut out works similiarly, they really launch sometimes:smile:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe at one of the rally's we could have a cover launching contest just to see how far we can get one to go.

I did cover a few Amish with black sooty spots of water one time before my trucks were parked inside.......

;-)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two liter soft drink (deuce size) or three liter soft drink (5 ton size) also work well. They launch as soon as ignition is achieved and are light enough so that they will not harm anything they land on, and they're not hard to come by!

Whitey

We use coffee cans. It really is fun to see how far they'll shoot, but not so fun when they nail my daily driver vehicle. In regards to the soot that can shoot out if you dont have a can, it will spray/splatter whatever is parked/standing to the right hand side. One time doing previews at Ft. Indiantown Gap we found out the hard way that you shouldn't stand on the passenger side when firing up the multi-fuel.

DieselBob

You might also want to take a light and mirror to check the elbow, #16 in the diagram, for rot on the side close to the engine. If both are bad it might make sense to just replace the entire system. The kits are available that have all the parts and pipes from the turbo to the stack. 2cents

Attachments

SteveKuhn

Good timing for this topic. I use a 2 liter Pepsi bottle but found out in last night's 55 mph wind storm that I've gotta trim it higher up so it fits tighter. After the 3rd time, I quit putting it back on.

I like that 3" rubber pipe cap idea. Might even have one . . .

Steve

seabeeut

On the m35a2 I purchased there's a large hole from rust in what the guy said was the "J-Pipe". Is this anything to be concerned about, is this an easy repair/replacement and is this a typical spot for rust?

this is the truck from bloomingburg NY? if so I looked at that truck the pipe will have to be replaced you would have to cut back so far to get to good steel that it's better and faster to replace the J-pipe

zeisshensoldt

this is the truck from bloomingburg NY? if so I looked at that truck the pipe will have to be replaced you would have to cut back so far to get to good steel that it's better and faster to replace the J-pipe
What can you tell me about the truck? Is it in good shape etc? I paid $3500 without the bows and tarp, is that a good deal?

Last edited:

seabeeut

What can you tell me about the truck? Is it in good shape etc? I paid $3500 for it, is that a good deal?
3500 is good I looked at it for 4000 and came close to buying it.
But I did not want to deal with welding up the rocker panels and the hole in the back cab corner. It will need a J-pipe but we took it out for a ride and it was strong.
double check your tires and PSI.
I was willing to drive it back to CT thats how much I thought of it. But I found one close to home and think I did well no rot but have to reseal the front axle and new brakes. All in All I think you got a good deal have fun.
attached is a pic from when I looked at the truck

Attachments