• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this sound normal? (Video)

DavidJBlythe

All,

I took a few videos of my truck starting cold in 40-degree weather (low and high idle) and idling while warm. I want to know if the idle sounds normal or if there is some type of metal on metal clanking/clacking/slapping happening that is NOT normal.

I took some footage under the hood and a little farther out to help capture it.

Gentlemen, lend me your ears!!!

Start from Cab
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnGHfugmmo&context=C34a01a2ADOEgsToPDskKUEGhPzuMn79mHs707Uf8v[/media]

Low Idle
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9jJckXvRok&context=C3049f98ADOEgsToPDskKV9p3Q8MV66GVUUKOeu6yU[/media]

High Idle
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmfCs40QQs&context=C39d162fADOEgsToPDskJpwB608DvSsSN5ndeD0EA2[/media]

After running for about 15-20 mins...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDuKtRpQ9oM&context=C384c972ADOEgsToPDskKrVGobr1CKH7ihn8P3CPzG[/media]

V/R,
Sgt Blythe

DavidJBlythe

I recently replaced the driver's side head gasket. I used a +0.010 larger Fel-Pro gasket for the 6.2L. I only had the head's resurfaced, I didn't have them machined. I went with the larger gasket because I found a Fel-Pro gasket on that side when I unbolted it and the previous owner didn't know if the heads had ever been machined. I figured it's best to go to thick than too thin... but then this sound developed. Could this sound be related to the thicker gasket? I didn't change anything else (like valve stuff, push rod stuff, etc).

Something to ponder.

combatmech

Just an observation... Does your Gen2 light work at all? Are you having charging issues as well?
Your last video sounds like my truck once shes warm. My first truck, that had 100+ thousand miles on it, made a heck of a racket after first start of a really cold day, after it was warm, she was fine.
You might just have a case of the noisy engine.....

DavidJBlythe

No, Gen 2 has never worked. I never really troubleshot the problem and currently have that alt unplugged. Eventually I will just remove it and 12v the entire truck.

466Navastar

"I recently replaced the driver's side head gasket. I used a +0.010 larger Fel-Pro gasket for the 6.2L. I only had the head's resurfaced, I didn't have them machined"

WHAT?......Im reading .010 over bore gaskets used and wondering how you have the heads resurfaced - without machining them.....what did you use to resurface - a file ?

DavidJBlythe

Lol, I had them polished / cleaned only. I guess they use a belt sander or something. It came back gleaming and perfect, but I told them not to machine a new surface and take of lots of metal. The intake, exhaust, and head surface were all cleaned with something, I dont know what. It was really smooth and perfect though.

motormayhem

Sounds like mine, your high idle seems high. Mine idles around 850 rpm at high idle and 750 at low idle. Yours sounds more like 1000rpm.

I recently replaced the driver's side head gasket. I used a +0.010 larger Fel-Pro gasket for the 6.2L. I only had the head's resurfaced, I didn't have them machined. I went with the larger gasket because I found a Fel-Pro gasket on that side when I unbolted it and the previous owner didn't know if the heads had ever been machined. I figured it's best to go to thick than too thin... but then this sound developed. Could this sound be related to the thicker gasket? I didn't change anything else (like valve stuff, push rod stuff, etc).

Something to ponder.
The only thing I hear is a possible rocker arm taping. It seemed to stop when it warms up. Sometimes hydraulic tappets do that. Typically it does not become a bigger problem than that.

e

Coal Cracker

Well by adding taller gaskets, you just lowered the cyl. compression, you've increased the cc of the cyl. Thats why you're supposed to measure your gasket thickness and machine the head correctly. you've also taken away about 0.10 valve lift. it'll probably run ok, but it's going to sound like it's smashing bottles in the cold.

coal cracker,

Is this something that can be fixed with longer pushrods?
I have not opened one of this particular engine.
Generally some adjusters are similar to the V8 chevy in that they are adjusted while the engine is running to the point they stop clicking and then a bit.
And some are adjusted while the engine is stopped.
If your's are adjusted while running it should be just a matter of readjusting to minimum noise.
For the other type you can get shim stock and make a .010 shim to slip under the rocker end (at the valve end) to see if that makes the noise stop. If it does not you may have a faulty lifter. The work involved in replacing the lifters takes a while.

e

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks