• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this supposed to be there?

I was reading about removing the bell housing on my m1009 to torque my torque converter bolts into spec. I then noticed an about 3/16" hole drilled into the bottom of my bell housing. Couldnt find anything in the tm. Is this factory? If so, what is its purpose? Also, can I remove it, pull the bolts , and loctite them in without draining the tranny (obviously I never have done this before) I also see 8 bolts where the tm only shows six holding it on.

QuickSilver

There is supposed to be a bracket held to the bottom/driver's side of the housing with one bolt that is to support the two lines running past. Is the bracket maybe missing?

Crawdaddy

I'm not familiar with the M1009 in particular, but I do know that GM generally puts a small hole in the very bottom of the torque converter inspection covers to allow water that gets splashed up there to drain and god forbid you lose the front pump seal the ATF can drain out through that hole. I have one in my 700R4 and my 4L80E transmissions. No big deal.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it at the very bottom of the housing? I may be a drain hole.

Last edited:
I think its a weep hole, makes sense. Will I start losing atf when I pull the torque converter bolts? Ive never done this before. Thanks so much for everything. Wait till you guys see my before and after pics. With your help this truck is really going well.

Lurchwolf

I think its a weep hole, makes sense. Will I start losing atf when I pull the torque converter bolts? Ive never done this before. Thanks so much for everything. Wait till you guys see my before and after pics. With your help this truck is really going well.
Just make sure you go to the parts store and get new torque convertor bolts, do not reuse the old ones. They are old and stressed, if you break one, then you would have to remove the tranny to replace it. Use loctite red to put the new ones in, this is important. Ask my grenaded LT1 motor why, lol.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I'm new to diesels.. but I've been working an gas motors quite a while. I've been lucky I guess.. cause I've never bought new t.c. bolts in mu life. Never had a failure of anykind.. ever. But than again I've been known to reuse head & crank bolts two. Luckily none of those ever failed either, & I was unmerciful to em too... what with hotrodding & 4 wheelin hard em my younger years.:roll::-D John