• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issaquah Rootbeer drive-in show April 9, 2017

Attachments

JH1

That's amazing. A guy down in North Bend, OR had one of those, years ago. Wasn't operational, though. His stuff all disappeared after he passed away. I think I remember it having a giant radial engine up front. Good luck with the restoration. The tracks look like they are perfect for sand but nothing else. Maybe you can adapt some other rubber padded tracks so you can drive it in parades and take it to shows. Got a way to transport it, yet? I'm assuming it's a tad wide?
Jim

I am still working on the transport angle - hence the 931... I have a 5th wheel trailer I am going to modify and yes it's 11ft wide so that adds another layer into the mix...

This one has been repowered with a 6 cyl diesel in the bed - it originally had a Continental W670A 7 cyl radial up front and I will go back to radial at some point.

The grousers bolt on so if you were really motivated you could bolt up a rubber pad or such to the existing chain to drive it on hard ground - I've seen video of them on concrete and asphalt and it did not tear it up - will definitely leave scratch marks

I will be swimming it mostly so the tracks need to stay for that

I wonder if that's the phantom one in Canby, OR - been talking to a guy off and on for a few years who said he helped the owner of that tractor work on some other vehicle projects but the LVT was buried in the back of a warehouse... I've been trying to get access to just see it for a few years now with no luck.

Did put an email in to the guys who restored this one for the American Museum of Armor and added road pads to be able to use it on the street...
That's amazing. A guy down in North Bend, OR had one of those, years ago. Wasn't operational, though. His stuff all disappeared after he passed away. I think I remember it having a giant radial engine up front. Good luck with the restoration. The tracks look like they are perfect for sand but nothing else. Maybe you can adapt some other rubber padded tracks so you can drive it in parades and take it to shows. Got a way to transport it, yet? I'm assuming it's a tad wide?
Jim

Attachments

JH1

The one in North Bend, OR was owned By Shirley Laird. He died in a backhoe rollover accident, probably 10 years ago. At that time, it was not buried indoors at all. It was out in the open. No idea where it went to.
You'll need a lowboy, for sure. I have an older one that was 8'0" but we widened it to 8'6". It has outriggers to go to 10'. Our biggest problem was that the M915 tractor's 5th wheel plate is higher than a commercial tractors, which means that when we go to disconnect, the gooseneck bottoms out on the tail ramp before the trailer settles all the way to the ground. Hence, we have to set the trailer on blocks. It's a hassle, but works.

The issue of grousers scratching the pavement causes some people to spot their knickers but most don't care. Technically, a City government could bill you for road damage, but if you get written approval before showing up with it at a parade, you're golden. We've been running tracks for years and never had an issue.

Jim

I am building a RGN beam trailer with hydraulics to pick it up by the belly - it'll be 8ft of deck width and the tracks can hang over the edges - the LVT has 100" between the inside edge of the tracks...

Since I am modifying the trailer I get to set the height to whatever - the core I am using is a M126A2C which had an expansible van on it originally but it has the large pin and all the military lights and air brakes... I may add a skidder axle to it but for now it has tandem duals in the rear.

What engine do you have in the 915?

JH1

Cummins big cam 400 hp, but it's only pushing 320 ponies right now. Could be that the Army turned the pump down or maybe a leaky aneroid valve in the pump. It gets there, eventually. Whatcha got for power in the 931?
Jim

It's the 855 Cummins Naturally Aspirated - was kinda acting like a dog towing the wrecker so I need to turn up the fuel and get a turbo on that thing... Will need a boost and pyro then too...

JH1

Be careful on turning up the pump, adding the turbo, bigger injectors, etc. The 220 and 240 hp engines lack oil coolers for the pistons, so it's very easy to overheat according to Brad at McKenna. If you do bump it up, you have to watch the pyro like a hawk. Oh, and the oil coolers can't be just added. The casting has no support for it.
Jim

I drive by pyro on my pickup now after lancing holes in 2 pistons of a 6.5 due to a overfueling condition I did not know about (no pyro installed) ...

And no build on the trailer yet - will start one when it comes time to really get going on it

JH1

I gotta ask about your avatar. I know you live where bobcats live, as do I. Chance capture or photoshop? Or is it a Pixibob?
Jim

That's Gunnar - he's mine - 2.5 y/o full Montana Bitterroot Bobcat - weighs about 30 lbs

He's got free range around the place and then inside at night - we've had him since he was about 1lb and 26 days old

Acts a lot like a dog at times but is lots of fun; super busy and curious though - always getting into everything

Matt

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks