• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

issue with 2.5ton

DEVILDOC

I am in the market for a 2.5ton and my plans is to use it to get gravel,mulch,and to have some funny with it with my to small boys(sons) 7yr,4yr in parades for the cub scouts the And if things get bad have a pretty good vehicle to do just about anything need. I have found one that has a LDS 465 5TON ENGINE in it new Tranmission ,4 new tires and the rest are in pretty great shape. Has a working winch.everything thing else checkout ok. But no heater or bows for rear. And its a hard top. No rusted out corners ect. What else usually goes bad or breaks. What should I ask seller he has been a seller of military stuff for 30plusa years. And he is given a Unlimited 30day warranty top to bottom.
He is asking 5500 I was going to make an offer what would be a good one

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like you are buying from someone who knows these trucks very well. Seeing that you plan on hauling weight and bringing two little ones, I suggest that you question the brake system, above all. The LDS upgrade is very desirable (especially if the air cleaner has been switched to one that can handle the increased CFM...SS members that did this particular swap have opinions on that) but you want to stop, too.

The hubs should all have been gone through to ensure good brake shoes, good brake cylinders, replaced flex brake hoses and steel lines checked for rust. Bearings checked and re-packed while in there.
Airpack and master cylinder original or replaced? Hydraulic brake light switch (they tend to degrade and break over time, causing brake fluid leak) or upgraded air pressure switch?

Consider, when/if you get the truck, to do the remote brake fluid reservoir upgrade right away. Cheap safety.

The rest is common sense; drag links tight, king pins tight, no wobbles or excessive looseness. If buying from a re-seller or dealer, any form of axle leak anywhere is unacceptable (unless you are buying a project truck) and while all Deuces mark their territory, excessive oil or tranny/transfer/PTO lube leaks are also a no no for something you intend to drive more than fix up from the get go.

Tires are another consideration; the stock 9.00-20 military tires are often of undefined age and need to be checked for cracks and dry rot on all sides.
The stock tires are fine if you do not drive much or are on unpaved surfaces often, but personally I do not like them for longer distances on hard surfaces and always cursed them when driving in the rain with an unloaded truck.

Lack of heater is - my opinion - overrated. The total lack of insulation of the firewall lets more heat through than you would imagine. Unless you are driving in the deep winter, not an issue. Also, heater can be easily added (take-offs available). Bows for the rear can be home made (purchase the metal bow corners) or purchased. Many members here probably have spares.

There is a good sticky here on what to check when you pick up a new-to-you truck.

The price depends upon the condition, options and how well the truck was gone through and repaired by the re-seller before you purchase it. For 5500 I would not accept a project truck.

My two cents - batteries not included. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can we ask who the 30 year truck seller is, being that he has been doing it so long, he would have a rep

DEVILDOC

Its not a project truck, I looked it over last friday and everything looks good I agree on $$ spent on add ons later , I have a 54 be-air 2dr coupe been on it for 10 yrs lol just when I think I am done I do something else. So I was going to buy a 85 chevy dump truck.but I think I would get more out of a deuce. And Robin Sage plays around here and the said I could haul the troops now and then 100-200$ a trip if so Cool!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haul what troops ?, for hire?
The OP may be talking about the Robin Sage ROTC in the summer time. More power to you if you have a chance to bring a Deuce back into its intended habitat of off-road troop moving!
I lean back and let others chime in regarding other aspects of hauling total strangers with your truck.

Last edited:

DEVILDOC

Not r.o.t.c the boys from fort bragg come up here and 5 to 6 times a year for training. Its bad a$$ the take the airport the town and the train station. My dad did it whenever I was younger 10-15.yrsold. the pay you to help out cool huh

Flyingvan911

Make sure he has a good title. I love my LDS. I have the regular deuce air filter/housing and the engine gets plenty of air. The general consensus is that the LDS gets plenty of air with the deuce filter. I was a little doubtful too until I got my deuce and proved it to myself. I would like feedback from someone who does switch to a larger 5 ton air filter. Maybe there would be some unknown benefit.

3,500 is a great price. It sounds like the truck is in decent shape. There's always something to do on a deuce anyway whether you are buying it or already own it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A bigger air cleaner can not hurt, allows MORE filter surface and better air flow on a HARD PULL, remember a motor will use the air it needs from a LARGE filter and leave the rest, while a just enough size leaves NOTHING left on the hard pull as the filter fills up over time, this means a LOT MORE filter changes and in turn means a higher $$$$$ cost

Also on a smaller just enough filter, as the filter fills and since the draw stays the same, dirt WILL be sucked in if there is even a minimal air leak in the air tubing

Last edited:

m816

Buy it. More people need to own Deuces. It dosen't make any difference what excuse you use to rationalize its purchase, as long as you get it home. Good luck with it.

DEVILDOC

I was told that a LDT engine is turbo and a LDS was supercharged, but whenever National Guard put the LDS engine in they put a BIGGER turbo instead on it. Because it made more HP/and torque. A little insight please.
And coming to a reason to buy is not the issue I WANT IT. On a sadder note 3 weeks ago some not so nice people broke into my building and STOLE my ATV and alot more that me and my sons rode and we had a blast, so i want something bigger to enjoy with them and to be a muilt-use item.......LOL ....And dealing with the insurance company is about to make me lose my Religion!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy it. More people need to own Deuces. It dosen't make any difference what excuse you use to rationalize its purchase, as long as you get it home. Good luck with it.
Yep buy it . But remember it's a 40+ year old truck and is going to need maintainence . They need daily inspections of certain things like brake fluid level , oil , antifreeze ect. and regular complete inspections .

This is a good guide to study for an inspection before you buy and regular inspections after you get one ( or more they tend to like herding ) ; GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

And this is recommended to download and read before operating ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf

And this Tm will cover most maintainece tasks ; TM9-2320-361-20.pdf

DEVILDOC

and also it has ONE hole injectors,rather TWO...? does that mean more fuel sprayed out.... I am learning here, not to much info on Diesel:funny:. I know that they are BEAST!
What size turbo is on this LDS465 engine anyone know, I was told it had a BIGGER one on it. to increase hp/torque. I see some trucks that have breathers on pass side and some on drivers ...?