• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issue with LCI Truck at Fort Bliss

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Lincoln County Irons truck sitting at Ft Bliss. Drivers side intermediate axle inner tire rub on inside.

A lot of photos but couldn't get one straight on at the drivers side due to another truck blocking it. On the passenger side, on bolt was missing from the hub. No obvious forklift damage--not even a scrape.

Initial thoughts? Maybe axle alignment not set right. Truck doesn't show any real use since rebuild or repaint (not sure if there were any miles on it). Possible bent axle but no sign of an accident. Possible axle manufacturer defect.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tire rub may be from the vehicle being turned real tight at a slow speed on pavement. Low air pressure lets the side wall flex and the thread cleats can contact the suspension. Seen this with other dual tire/bogie axle M939s. Slow/tight turns on pavement also put a lot of lateral tension on the torque rods.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He had called me on Tuesday about the truck when he was down there and I could not come up with a problem why it is off so much. He said he did not see any damage on the truck and the dog bones are ok.
I did tell him to drive it around in the lot and see if the axle comes back in alignment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The axles are attached to the trunion(sp?), the thing the axles pivot on. Those are kept in place with bearings or bushings(depends on the manufacturer) anyhoo, those have keeper nuts on them like the axle nuts. Might want to pop a cap and see if anything is loose.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't really tell from the pics but I tend to agree with Gimpy, seems to be something loose in the trunion. I've seen civilian rub like this when the trunion bearings/bushing are worn out.

Thank you Carnac for taking the time to go and look the truck over, taking the photos , and posting this thread. I was running late to pick up the truck, and it was already quite hot that day. After a pretrip inspection I had noticed the spot where the tire had rubbed the paint off. I pulled the truck forward and turned to the left . At that time I noticed the tire was in contact with the spring pack. It was very hot laying on the pavement and I was working on one of those fantastic cherry red sun burns, so I didn't stay under the truck long. At that point I decided to leave the truck on the GL lot. For safety reasons and not to further damage what ever is needing to be corrected. At this point i am trying to determine what it will cost to fix the problem.
GL customer service said I could file a claim and see what happens. I just do not have alot of extra funds for costly parts/repairs at this time. I appreciate all the replies and welcome any more you guys may have. Once again a big thank you to Carnac for his time and efforts!!!

tbar123

Not that I have a lot of experience on these vehicles, but I do have a lot of trucking experience. With that said, are the tires inflated to proper level? I also went out and looked at my truck and it appears that there is at least 3 fingers width between the tire and where yours is rubbing,looking at your pics it looks like yours is closer than mine.I have also noticed that even though trucks(non military) come off the line back to back not a single one is the same,so some trucks have a spacer plate between the drum and the inner wheel. This might(although a small possibility) be your problem. It looks like it was recently painted and whoever for whatever reason might have left that spacer out when reinstalling the wheels.Other than that, the worst case scenario might be a broken axle lock, than allows that axle to walk in and out. I've never heard of this on a truck, but have seen it in cars.

Had a local (El Paso) spring / suspension shop owner look at the truck today. With in a minute or two he tells me that all the torque rod bushing are bad Plus the center point bushings are bad. All of which is going to cost over 2k to fix. I looked around at some of the other trucksan M934 and some M923A2's all with bushing that don't look any better or worse than whats under his truck.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque rod bushings are "kinda" hard work to replace but then again not that bad. Without a load on the truck and with making gentle turns, you should be able to drive it home. Make sure the tires are aired up to at least 100 to 110psi and take your time.
I have spent 32 yrs as an ASE master heavy truck tech with the last 15 years working on fire trucks. Now they (fire trucks) eat suspension parts!! especially tandem axle trucks...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks