• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues of Owning a 5 ton wrecker

area52

You know, I started with an old '54 Willys pickup, then "graduated" to a M35A2 (several in fact) then a M54A2 then a M816. I am still stuck on the 5 tons right now but makes ya wonder sometimes if there is no cure, whats next!!:razz:

(yea, I know 10 tons, HEMTT etc.)

Westex

I started with an international postal delivery vehicle pulling people out of the mud in east Texas, and that was in 8th grade. Then came an MB 45 jeep. By this time, I was Joe Dirt. Then a CJ-2A. Then a ford Industrial loader (gas); then a Dodge dually with hopped up engine; now a deuce (2 of them); oh my.....I know the feeling.

painter paul

And then again, if you can use one like I do, they are great. I use mine mostly for winchouts of semi's in mud or snow! I have probably made more money with a 5 ton wrecker than with any vehicle I have owned. I now have 2 M816's for sale as I want to upgrade to an M936 or M936 A1 or A2. My exercise program is pulling the cable from the rear winch(or having someone else do that while I run the controls. I use commercial scotch blocks and hook to D rings welded to the rear outrigger tube. I also use a NAVY Seebee GMC 7000 WRECKER AND A M920. Thanks, Paul

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since this thread has been revived let me add this: I got rid of my M816. I sold it to my scrapper buddy that made a real nice wrecker out of it (he owns a commercial tow service too). It has not moved since he reworked the engine and did some nice mods to it because he can't find a driver that will run it. It is for sale for 10K if anyone is interested. I'm currently storing an M936 for a fellow member and it has saved my bacon twice. I now have wrecker fever again but unless one drops in my lap for real cheap I'll have to do without one. The M936's are selling dirt cheap for what they are and what Uncle paid for them. Bottom line is that we are all MV addicts and our drug of choice often changes. Right now I have my eye on a M915 with the Cat tranny in it. If you want a wrecker go for it. I've already cancelled my life insurance so I know all my relatives will cry at the funeral. There will be one ell of a yard sale after the service.