• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues with 3-piece runflats installed incorrectly?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the 3-piece Hutchinson runflats installed on my M1082 trailer, when I had the tires changed a month ago. I just realized they didn't install the rubber rings that sandwich the runflat between the rim. I'm about to drive the truck and trailer 2000 miles to Florida! Will this be a problem? Should I take it back and have them installed (I'm really short on time)? What problems will be caused by the runflat being able to spin freely on the rim, inside the tire?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the things I'm worried about is that I don't have any spare o-rings. So if they screw up an o-ring while taking apart the tire, I'm stuck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
One of the things I'm worried about is that I don't have any spare o-rings. So if they screw up an o-ring while taking apart the tire, I'm stuck.
Rtv has been used if it's a pinch. We have also used tubes in those combat wheels to get on down the road.

As far as those bands being out It should not cause any issues. maybe a slight vibration but I doubt you would feel it unless you were really light and empty. Use your IR gun on the tires when stopping to notice any additional heat in those tires

You can order o rings from gemplers for much cheaper than surplus places

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use your IR gun on the tires when stopping to notice any additional heat in those tires
Thanks, can you explain this in more detail? After driving, I would get out, use the IR gun on the sidewall of all the tires, and look for a temp difference on the trailer tires? What general temp should I be getting, and how different would be considered bad on the trailer tires?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, can you explain this in more detail? After driving, I would get out, use the IR gun on the sidewall of all the tires, and look for a temp difference on the trailer tires? What general temp should I be getting, and how different would be considered bad on the trailer tires?
Yes you should be doing this every fuel stop anyway on bearings, tires, joints. Axles. This will show premature failures well before you can hear or feel them.

Tire temp will vary based on your load. Outside temp etc. Check it the first 30min of driving vs your next hour and you will have a baseline for the trip on your stops anywhere from 88 degrees to 130 can be normal depending on weight and Outside temp.

If there is a severe vibration problem the hub bearing will show this temp increase as well.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you should be doing this every fuel stop anyway on bearings, tires, joints. Axles. This will show premature failures well before you can hear or feel them.

Tire temp will vary based on your load. Outside temp etc. Check it the first 30min of driving vs your next hour and you will have a baseline for the trip on your stops anywhere from 88 degrees to 130 can be normal depending on weight and Outside temp.

If there is a severe vibration problem the hub bearing will show this temp increase as well.
Thanks! I do stop and check regularly, I just wanted to know if there was something more to look for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks