• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues with oil pressure and possibly related to fuel issues

04mustang

ok, so ive read plenty of other posts about oil pressure related problems with these trucks, but im not sure mine is an issue yet. looking for help from other people with more experience than me here.

I drove my truck to work one night this past week and watched the gauges the whole trip, about 10 miles. everything looked good. On the way home, 8 hours later, it had low pressure at start up around 5 psi or less. and at speed it had 15-20 psi the entire way home. my guage is a 0-60 type, everything same a militaty, not changed.

I did a little record experiment the next day after letting it sit for about 12-14 hours. the following are my results:

at start up, cold
- 15 PSI @ idel
- 30 PSI @ 1600 RPM

after 10 mins, 120 degrees
- 14 PSI @idel
- 25 PSI @ 2000 RPM

after 15 mins, 130 degrees
- 20 PSI @ idel
- 30 PSI @ 2000 RPM

after 20 mins, 140 degrees
- 19 PSI @ idel
- 28 PSI @ 2000 RMP

after 25 mins, 160 degrees
- 12 PSI @ idel
- 20 PSI @ 2000 RPM

after 30 mins, 170 degrees
- 5 PSI @ idel
- 22 PSI @ 2000 RPM

after 35 mins, 170 degrees
- 10 PSI @idel
- 22 PSI @ 2000 RPM

The other part of this is a fuel leak as you can see from the photo below. Its somewhere above the the oil filters. haven't traced it down yet.

so are these 2 issues related and is the oil pressure an issue at all or am I just being too cautious?

Thank you,
Corey

welldigger

I never thought about the oil being thin from fuel getting in there. I'd check that too.
If your oil level is high and there's no milky sludge that's a sure fire sign of bad hh o rings or a leaky fdc. A little less common is the booster pump seal leaking.

04mustang

Are those serious problems, or fairly easily fixed. If that's the problem. I checked the oil level 1 min after shut down and it was at normal level. Ill check again tomorrow.

welldigger

If you have an fdc then you should bypass it. It's a good safeguard even if it's not leaking.

To check the hh o rings remove the shut off cover in the injector pump. Then turn the master power on so your in tank pump turns on. Then look in the hole. If you see anything dripping then one of the 3 o rings is bad.

04mustang

Ok, So i put a mechanical guage to it and at cold start it climbed to 60 PSI. and after warming up (160-170 degrees) it was around 28-30 PSI at 2000 RPM's. So my fears are relieved. Im going to replace both the sending unit and guage to be on the safe side.
As far as my fuel leak issue I've narrowed it down to the the lines between the injectors and the injector pump.

Thank you all for the help and advice!
Corey

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The injector lines are just tubes with ferrules on them. Sometimes they can get over-torqued and go bad. Might try swapping them out first.

04mustang

I noticed that, and I believe that is the issue here. Where can I get a set of them from? I can make them myself, but I would rather just get a set pre bent.

RAYZER

I have a couple of injection lines that have a slight leak where they go into the side of the injectors, it seems that their bottomed out, it may take trimming the bottom of the line to give more room for compressing.