• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues with SF-97

86m1028

I think the big gray area is the fact that you can on get an off road title, and in some states that's not common for a "truck" or whatever kind of vehicle a humvee may be designated as.

I know about title laws, but honestly I don't see the need for anything more than a paid in full bill of sale to prove you own it.

I have one vehicle with a title that is not for road use. It's a piece of construction equipment. It can be registered(plated) as such, and must be if driven on a road. My bill of sale is all that is needed to prove ownership(even though I have a title as well.
I completely understand what your saying doghead.
What gets me is the many on here that freak out & want a thread locked because someone mentions title & hmmwv in the same thread.

Opposite of you, I prefer to have both a bill of sale & a title because
some of the leos & city employees around here don't understand bill of sale.
I have had dirt bikes, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers & have always had titles.
Bill of sales don't always fly around here.
Here in TEXAS boats, their trailers & their motors all have SEPARATE titles.

Last edited:

infidel got me

Read the site rules.... that's what it states about Humvees and titles. No mention of registering them. I mentioned almost the same questions not long ago and got my hand smacked. Funny how the rules only apply to certain people. That's why I tell people not to bring it up, but now if its ok------------ lets everyone with title questions and Humvees lets ask questions. Or is it not ok. I don't know, I'm confused.......

86m1028

Read the site rules.... that's what it states about Humvees and titles. No mention of registering them. I mentioned almost the same questions not long ago and got my hand smacked. Funny how the rules only apply to certain people. That's why I tell people not to bring it up, but now if its ok------------ lets everyone with title questions and Humvees lets ask questions. Or is it not ok. I don't know, I'm confused.......

Wont comment on "rules for certain people don't apply"
Ive had my hand slapped a couple times for that.
Will say life's not fair" & leave it at that :)

Whats NOT allowed is discussing "how to" get an off road title vehicle registered for steet use.

Tornadogt

I have been on the phone with GovPlanet most of the day over Sales Tax, so I am not in the mood for other peoples opinions being stated as facts and mine being dismissed, so here are my Fact opinions.

This is the "Rule" Post that people on this site keep quoting as Laws/Facts/Rules.... and the first part full of OPINIONS....

With the new sales of HMMWVs from GovPlanet and Govliquidation many people are asking on how to title them for on-road use.

The government is allowing these trucks to be sold by the auction sites but with the restriction that they are for OFF-ROAD use only and WILL NOT be titled for on-road use. This a DoD regulation/restriction and is not controlled by the auction sites or individual State DMVs

Because of this restriction this site will not allow any discussion on how to "break" this rule and title the Humvee for on road use.

I sure would hate for the Goverment to stop all sales because of someone trying to get around this restriction.

If you start a thread, ask questions or discuss how to circumvent this rule you may be banned from this site.

This is not open to debate.

Just as a reminder, the DLA has not changed their stance of the "off-road-use only" restriction. Here is a blurb from their website:

"Humvee/HMMWV In November 2014
DLA Disposition Services began releasing excess military Humvee cargo and troop carriers with model numbers M998, M998A1, M1038 and M1038A1 to all eligible reutilization, transfer and donation (RTD) recipients. These are early model "soft side" unarmored vehicles. Participants in the Fire Fighters and law enforcement support programs remain eligible for the items as well. Vehicles not acquired by those special programs or RTD recipients may be sold to the public for off road use. They will be offered under a contract for disposal of rolling stock. See www.govplanet.com for additional information."

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/sales/Documents/Sales/FAQ.pdf

Until this stance is changed all the BS you hear on the internet is just that, BS.

-----End quote--------

The only Fact in this statement is the excerpt from the DLA website stating " Vehicles not acquired by those special programs or RTD recipients may be sold to the public for off road use. They will be offered under a contract for disposal of rolling stock. See www.govplanet.com for additional information."

A simple statement and fairly vague. ANYTIME someone on on this site or anywhere else tries to expand on this statement by adding there personal opinions it is BS. The only people who can make a determination on what you can and can not do with your property once it is in your possession in regards to titling and registration is between you and your State/County who is approving or denying your requests.

END OF STORY

one more from an above postSF97.jpg
"SF-97 is not an application, it's more like a certificate of origin."
The photo attached is the top portion of a SF97 form, my OPINION is, written on the top of the SF97 form Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle, a SF97 is a more than a certificate of origin....

Thank you and this is the end of my rant for the day......
Thank you again

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SF-97 is not an application, it's more like a certificate of origin.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?49999-SF-97-*exactly*-what-is-it

Title to PropertyBuyers of motor vehicles will receive a GSA Form 27A, "Purchaser's Receipt and Authority to Release Property," and a StandardForm (SF) 97*1, "The United States Government Certificate To Obtain Title To A Vehicle." SF 97*1 is not a title; it is evidence of titleonly for authority to obtain title at the Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) to a vehicle by the purchaser. Buyers of property other thanmotor vehicles will receive only the GSA Form 27A. Unless otherwise provided in the Invitation, title to the property sold hereundershall vest in the Purchaser as and when removal is effected.The Certificate to Obtain Title in no way serves as a waiver for payment of registration fees, nor county or State taxes assessed to thevehicle, subsequent to its purchase. The Certificate to Obtain Title will only be issued after the vehicle is paid for.The Certificate to Obtain Title that accompanies vehicles may identify the vehicle as Salvage or Scrap, meaning the vehicle is notintended for driving and its condition is poor and/or it is not road*worthy in its present condition.These provisions may also be applied to certain accident*damaged vehicles. The type of title issued will be determined at thediscretion of each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).Your registrat

Last edited:

Tornadogt

Thank you doghead for this excerpt :

Title to Property Buyers of motor vehicles will receive a GSA Form 27A, "Purchaser's Receipt and Authority to Release Property," and a StandardForm (SF) 97*1, "The United States Government Certificate To Obtain Title To A Vehicle." SF 97*1 is not a title; it is evidence of title only for authority to obtain title at the Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) to a vehicle by the purchaser. Buyers of property other than motor vehicles will receive only the GSA Form 27A. Unless otherwise provided in the Invitation, title to the property sold here under shall vest in the Purchaser as and when removal is effected.The Certificate to Obtain Title in no way serves as a waiver for payment of registration fees, nor county or State taxes assessed to the vehicle, subsequent to its purchase. The Certificate to Obtain Title will only be issued after the vehicle is paid for.The Certificate to Obtain Title that accompanies vehicles may identify the vehicle as Salvage or Scrap, meaning the vehicle is not intended for driving and its condition is poor and/or it is not road*worthy in its present condition.These provisions may also be applied to certain accident*damaged vehicles. The type of title issued will be determined at the discretion of each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

This is the very point I try to make : The Certificate to Obtain Title that accompanies vehicles may identify the vehicle as Salvage or Scrap, meaning the vehicle is not intended for driving and its condition is poor and/or it is not road*worthy in its present condition.These provisions may also be applied to certain accident*damaged vehicles. The type of title issued will be determined at the discretion of each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

No matter what is on the SF97 for restrictions it is simply a statement of the current condition of the item when purchased. What you do to the "Item" to bring it up to the requirements of your States regulations is between you and the people approving or denying your request.

Jakob1944

I got notified today that my ECU was approved for me to come and remove my Humvee from Ft Riley

Dear John Easler,

Congratulations, Your EUC for sale event (Sale Event# 20022) has been approved! You may now make transportation arrangements and complete pickup for the following item(s):

ITEM INFORMATION
Description: 1994 AM General M998A1 Humvee HMMWV
Date of Sale: Sep 14, 2016
Item Number: 770712

636315_6002_159_0001.jpg636315_6002_106_0001.jpg

I knew I could wait em' out.......

Katavic918

My only comment at the moment will be why did a EUC thread get hijacked for a title discussion.
Since I was the one who hijacked it (though I didn't think it would get this out of control), I would vote for the title discussion to be deleted.

Brad Z

Congrats. I wonder if these are sequential? My auction was 9/14 and still nothing.

Finally got my EUC approved today. Heading down to Scottsburg VA tomorrow to pick it up....hopefully. Called GP customer service and the office was closed at 7:30pm EST, even though the website says they stay open until 5:00pm Pacific Time. Hope fully the lot will be ready for me anyway since I don't have time to wait until 9am before leaving northern VA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks