• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Issues with sitting for a prolonged period?

Pasaway

So I've been planning to buy a M36a2 for working on the ranch and other projects. But the more I look at them, the more a 5 ton seems to fit my needs better. I orginially liked that the Deuce didn't need a CDL and has a multifuel engine. But I'd be willing to get a CDL if I need to.
My question, does sitting for prolonged periods (few months at a time) cause any issues with these trucks. Or would a Deuce be a better option.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worse than any other vehicle.

Treat your fuel properly.

twisted60

Mine sits months, longest was little over 6 months, jumped in started her up and drove to an event. Like was mentioned treat fuel, keep batteries charged and keep air system clean and dry. My tires leak down a little, but easy to top off, hook into glad hand if you don't have ctis. Love my 5 ton.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In the Army we did what was called "Motor Stables" every week.

Once a week (usually on Tuesday) each assigned driver would do Preventive Maintenance and Checklists (PMCS) on their vehicle.

We also did it on trailers, generators and other mechanical equipment that the unit owned.

All systems would be checked and the vehicle cranked to make sure it was Mission Capable.

Deficiencies would be noted and corrected by the driver or sent up to the proper level of Maintenance to get it Mission Capable again.

I did have a buddy that bought some M915's that had been sitting for a long time without being cranked.

He had them hauled home and over a period of days got all of them to start. They cranked and ran fine after he had done some prep work.

A few days later he went out and every one of them had water/coolant in the oil.

It seems when a Cummins sits a long time the pistons can get stuck to the liners and that in turn can cause the liner to leak.

He ended up scrapping all of them out.

URSATDX

New here.
Thank you for your service, Sir.

In the Army we did what was called "Motor Stables" every week.

Once a week (usually on Tuesday) each assigned driver would do Preventive Maintenance and Checklists (PMCS) on their vehicle.

We also did it on trailers, generators and other mechanical equipment that the unit owned.

All systems would be checked and the vehicle cranked to make sure it was Mission Capable.

Deficiencies would be noted and corrected by the driver or sent up to the proper level of Maintenance to get it Mission Capable again.

I did have a buddy that bought some M915's that had been sitting for a long time without being cranked.

He had them hauled home and over a period of days got all of them to start. They cranked and ran fine after he had done some prep work.

A few days later he went out and every one of them had water/coolant in the oil.

It seems when a Cummins sits a long time the pistons can get stuck to the liners and that in turn can cause the liner to leak.

He ended up scrapping all of them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks